No Travel to Mexico?

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was with Dr. Illan and the Oasis of Hope on 8/10/17. It was one of the best experiences of my life.... Tell your family and friends this is not a nose job or breast implants.... your making a last ditch effort to save your life... I actually had friends and family tell me I was okay being obese because they were use to it and it made them comfortable ???

Take half of everything you packed and throw it back on the bed ... you don't need it..

I went alone and I have heard a lot of ladies saying how empowering it is to go alone.. So you're only taking care of yourself , not someone else. And like everyone else says with all the valets and drivers you are never alone...

Edited by Mike LaVelle

There are many places in the US like Baltimore, Chicago and Detroit that are statistically way more dangerous than Tijuana. I went alone in July and was fine. You are never left alone to "wander around in the streets". A driver takes you to your destination and when I went out with my group for a bite to eat and some shopping we were with our valet in a busy shopping area where there were a lot of tourists doing the same. You'll be fine. I honestly find some of these travel warnings put out by the state dept ridiculous. BTW... I traveled again to Mexico about a week ago for vacation and was perfectly fine... because I used common sense and stayed at my resort and didn't venture out to unknown areas.

Edited by CarmellaX
JTHmom likes this 1 Like this

On 8/24/2017 at 7:48 PM, Funwithpooh72 said:

I went to Mexico and my friends/ family voiced the same concerns. I didn't go to Tijuana though, I was in Juarez. But i felt relatively safe. I wasn't in the streets by myself at all. I was picked up by a shuttle driver in El Paso and driven directly to the hospital. Good luck, I think that you should go through with it, if you feel ok with it.

Same here. My friend didn't want to leave, so we just ordered from the hospital menu for him. It didn't look unsafe outside, but he refused to leave, maybe because he didn't know the language.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:36 PM, DropWt4Life said:

Everyone wanted to sell us something of course. The locals seem to genuinely like Americans.

They think all Americans are rich. Maybe by their standards even those on welfare are doing well. And yes, they all want to sell us something. As we were waiting to cross the border, just on the Mexican side where traffic was a parking lot, tons of people were walking between the cars with their wares. We sat there for 45 minutes before getting our turn.

Edited by MyBariatricLife

I went to Tijuana in May and had my surgery with Dr. Corvala at Hospital Angeles. I felt very safe in the hospital and my husband stayed in my room the entire time (there was a futon type bed).
We entered and exited Mexico in the "medical tourism" lane at the border crossing. There were several places to eat across from the hospital, but other than that my husband was not real comfortable outside the hospital. Not necessarily unsafe, just not comfortable.
Dr. Corvala's office provided our driver from San Diego airport to the hospital and back across the border to go home

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

How are you feeling and what do you think of Corvala . I am scheduled for October 24. Where did you get your prescriptions filled at the hospital or down the street. (Dont wanna go down street alone)Also do you tip the driver from the airport to the hospital.

I am feeling great. I highly recommend Dr.Corvala and my dr. here in the US looked at my surgery records (I asked Dr. Corvala's office to email them to me) and said everything looked fine. I got my meds at the hospital pharmacy, it was just easier. I tipped the driver $20 from airport to hospital, and $30 from hospital back to airport because it took forever to go through the border crossing.

Good luck on your surgery.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, slt77036 said:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience, my surgery is on Sept 7 with Dr. Illan also and I am getting jitters. I'm also going by myself so I'm concerned about that. Is there any advice you would have for me? Anything that you wish you would have brought with you or packed? Sounds like you were up and able to walk around shortly after surgery, did you have very much pain? Do I need to bring food or anything like that? I feel I have so many questions so I appreciate any advice you may be able to offer.

Thank-you

Sorry about the delay in posting. You don't need to worry about food. They will give you everything that you need. When you leave the hospital, the nutritionist will give you a care package with broth bullion for the airport or hotel. You will also get lots of drinks as well. Don't worry about going it alone. Two of my sleeve buddies all went alone as well. We had a good time actually. I would definitely pack some Gas X strips for the trip. The valets had a stash, but ran out. I am glad that I packed my own. Pack light. You will be wearing your hospital gown for a few days. I only packed 2 outfits, which was fine. I didn't have any pain at or nausea at all, other than gas pains. That gas pain is no joke, but it dissipates within a day or two if you walk a lot. That is my advice....Walk as soon as you are able. I started at 10-15 minutes every 2 hours a few hours after surgery. By the time I was released, I was walking 20-25 minutes every few hours. When we got to the hotel, we went to lunch and did some shopping. We walked for about an hour or so. It was a lot of fun.

Anyway, Good luck!