Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My insurance not paying for surgery

They said that I can only remove what I put in.

2 minutes ago, Natasha85 said:

They said that I can only remove what I put in.

Ah. You are not fully vested, right? Once you are vested, the money is yours, before that, your employer has the right to remove if you do not meet the vesting requirements. There isn't much you can do, because technically, that money is not yours yet.

You can take out loans, I've seen people talking about medical WLS financing here.

I think I'll get what I can remove and just save. I guess that's what that mean. I work for a small private company. Have insurance but they won't cover the surgery. I'll just save and hopefully be ready in the Spring.

I already have too many credit cards. Lol

Just now, Natasha85 said:

I think I'll get what I can remove and just save. I guess that's what that mean. I work for a small private company. Have insurance but they won't cover the surgery. I'll just save and hopefully be ready in the Spring.

How far away are you from being vested?

I personally am not a fan of removing money out of a retirement fund. I'm ok with taking a loan against it (I did that when I bought my first home), but you want to do everything you can to leave the money there. It is one of the few avenues where you will average 8% or more interest.

For me, I know if I removed the money, I wouldn't replace it on top of continuing to add money. This can set you back years.

On 05/08/2017 at 1:45 AM, Missytee said:

I thought about it but I'm kind skeptical about going to another country. The time I pay for flight, hotel, and maybe a rental car I be payed the same-thing. I believe my doctor will come down some more on his price because he really want to help me...emoji56.pngemoji56.pngemoji56.png

I've had surgery in another country (Thailand, and no, I haven't had bariatric surgery yet - it's scheduled for Tuesday) and I've never had a problem with it.

... It does give you some opportunities for some really neat photo ops. Here's me roughly 55 kg lighter, 8 years ago:

3756361378_dfc10074ec_o.jpg.5dfec736354c3b477cbd710e6cfe55e5.jpg

If I go back to Thailand (and I do intend to), I'm so going to try to mimic that statue's pose.

Edited by Véronique