Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me your Gallbladder Story...

I have a GB consult tomorrow, with a possible surgery date for August 3rd. I only had 1 terrible attack, a couple of months ago. I have been looking online for info about weight gain/loss and how the liver is affected. I don't know why I'm on the fence about this surgery, but I know the pain from an attack is unbearable.

For those of you who have had it removed, would you recommend it and are you having any issues?

I had it removed a year and a half before surgery. It was definitely worth it as I had had several major attacks. Worst pain and nothing but time relieves it. For me, it hurt more than my sleeve surgery but Ive heard many say the opposite. I actually think I had a lousy surgeon. He forgot to close one of wounds as well. Hello? Anyway, yeah, do it! You'll live in fear of another attack otherwise and it can cause pancreatitis if left untreated.

I had mine removed several years ago....the pain attacks were terrible! No regrets having my gallbladder removed.

I had my removed last week during my Gastric Bypass best decision I made no more pain and so far no problems good luck

Thanks you guys. @MelodyBronson Did you notice any significant weight gain or loss after it was removed?

Thanks you guys. [mention=318945]MelodyBronson[/mention] Did you notice any significant weight gain or loss after it was removed?

Nope. I've read that you can have chronic diarrhea after but I didn't. My dad has his removed at 79 and was bebopping around town in less than a week.

I had my gall bladder removed when I had my sleeve. I had no gall bladder attacks (lucky) but during the pre-op workup they discovered huge gall stones so it was just a matter of time..... I had no complications

I had my gallbladder removed last yr. No gain or loss. But much relief. The reflux stopped for a short time but started back a month later. Keep in mind gallbladder issues is a side effect of the band. If issues persist see for Dr asap, don't wait. Dave your self the trouble.

This was eons ago. I'm 50. My first son was 5 weeks old, and I needed emergency surgery. All I know is the pain, holy moly...the attacks were intense. After healing from the surgery, it was fine. After surgery: processing fats...not everybody gets this, but certain foods have me running for the bathroom, even 27 years later. Otherwise, all that's left is the memory and a scar. I can't imagine choosing to keep it if it continues to cause pain.

I had mine removed one year before surgery. I had attacks for years but not bad enough to have it removed. Then one day I woke up and couldn't digest anything, not even Water and the pain was terrible. Went to the ER and had an ultrasound, and it showed complete blockage from a stone. Emergency surgery the next day (overnight stay in the hospital) and 2 days post-op, and I went home. I had diarrhea for about a week and it took me some time to get adjusted to new dietary restrictions, like easing up on dairy. I did lose about 15 pounds, which I gained back about 4 months later.

FYI, the surgery is NOTHING. Once you've been through GS, it's nothing. I had a hysterectomy right before my GB surgery, and that was terrible. The GB surgery came 4 months after and comparatively, it was a breeze. That's what made my GS so easy, because I was an old hat at laparoscopic surgery by then. BTW, they will probably use some of your GS incisions for the GB surgery, which is great. They used GB incisions for my GS surgery and that helped. My tummy already looks like a treasure map. LOL

I had mine removed about 6 months after my sleeve surgery. 3 weeks after sleeve surgery I developed TERRIBLE nausea. So much so that I didn't eat or drink anything for over a month. They put a picc line in for me to infuse fluids and nutrients into my blood stream because I could not take anything by mouth due to the nausea. I was on over 5 anti nausea meds at the same time to make everyday life slightly more bearable. I could hardly eat or drink anything for 5 months.

A few months later I had a gallstone attack. I could not breathe or move and the pain was unbearable. I also started vomiting. I went to the hospital and the pain passed a few hours later but they didn't see anything on the Catscan.

My surgeon did an ultrasound and found stones in my gallbladder.

They scheduled the gallbladder removal for a few weeks later since it did not look bad on the images.

After they removed it they told me it was in really bad shape and infected.

2 days after having my gallbladder removed all of the nausea was gone. All those months of suffering and all that needed to be done was remove my gallbladder.

I have had zero problems with diarrhea and lost weight much easier after it was out. Though that could be because of no longer having the added calories from the infused nutrition.

I suggest getting it removed to avoid problems in the future.

I just got back from the consult. I guess it really boils down to; not if I will have another attack, but when. So I will be getting my GB out on August 3rd. The doc asked to see my scars and how much it costs to get the vsg surgery in Mexico. He was an interesting fellow. Thank you for all of the feedback. :)

Edited by Ldyvenus

I just got back from the consult. I guess it really boils down to; not if I will have another attack, but when. So I will be getting my GB out on August 3rd. The doc asked to see my scars and how much it costs to get the vsg surgery in Mexico. He was an interesting fellow. Thank you for all of the feedback. [emoji4]

It's true. Once it starts it eventually comes out. Might be years but it might be tomorrow. Glad you're getting it done. Keep us posted!

I had my gallbladder removed after my 2nd baby. She was 18 months old. But my gallbladder went guney bag after my 1st baby. I was 18 yo but the quack of a DR told me while I was having a terriblly hard attack that it was an ulcer and gave me a scipt of Beelap it actually helped. I fought it for 7 years before I had mine taken out. That pain is almost as bad as my Pancrtitis was!! It is one HELL of a pain!!! Nope I did NOT miss it at all. Now my hubby didn't have anything going on with his gallbladder, but a few small stones and when they took out his Lap Bnad they removed his gallbladder. He never even had 1 attack. WHA WHA that is me cryting about it. LOL Not really

I had my gallbladder out about 4 years ago.

I had been having gallbladder attacks for about 4 months, but I thought they were back spasms in my upper right quadrant. I had no idea.

Then my urine turned very dark and my stools looked somewhat chalky. I called my PCP and got referred to a gastro. That same day I had an unbelievable attack and was taken to the ER in the worse pain I have ever experienced in my life.

They did an ERCP, then the following day I had my gallbladder removed. I had a complication called Mirizzi's syndrome (which is a rare complication from an impacted stone in a duct) and this became open surgery. I spent about 7 days recovering after discharge, then was back at work within a week.

After surgery I was less tolerant of fatty foods. If I ate eggs + bacon (or something like that) I would get diarrhea. Otherwise no changes.

My gallbladder disease was undiagnosed and it turned out I was very sick and didn't know it. By the time I went to the ER I was jaundiced, literally in so much pain I was screaming (and I am not someone who cries over physical pain), spent 5 days in the hospital, etc.

I wouldn't mess around with gallbladder disease.