Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering how many pounds lost means a smaller size.

While I've lost 20 lbs on pre op and first post op week, my clothes fit fine. I'm wondering on average how many pounds one loses to need to go down a size. I know it is too soon for me to think of this, but some of you have dropped a LOT of sizes. When did it start? Was there a consistent number of pounds that slid you down the next size?

It really depends on how large you are. It also depends on where you lose it from.

It took me about 40 pounds to lose a size at first. Plus sizes are cut huge and honestly most people are squeezing into their clothes pre-op and are larger than the size they are wearing.

In regular sizes I lose a size every 5 to 10 pounds depending on where the weight comes from.

I'm 10 weeks out from surgery down 42lbs and have not gone down a size. While my clothes are big on me and I probably could go down a size or two they are just not big enough to actually go down. I am scared actually to try on other sizes so that could be why I'm reluctant to size down also but I feel like if my "big" clothes still work why waste money buying smaller stuff right now. I think that because plus size is cut larger it's going to take me longer to get through sizes (which goes with what Outsidematchinside said) and also many of my preop clothes were getting small so they aren't as big as they would be if they were actually the right size. I think I'll move through pant sizes quicker than top sizes just because of the way my body is shaped and where my trouble areas are.

My rules of thumb:

Weight between 300-400: size changes every 50lbs

200-300: every 25lbs

150-200: every 15lbs

below 150: every 5-10lbs

This is a rough estimate, but shows the concept. It also explains how skinny people complain about gaining 5 or 10lbs, when heavy people can gain 50lbs and barely notice.

Agree that when I was larger the clothes I wore were a little more snug than they should have been. Did not realize this at the time. Now 15 roughly takes me to a lower size. But just experiment. Doesn't cost a thing to try clothes on periodically to see where you are. You can take a selfie or two when you do. Also, sizes vary in different brands. I do 14 in lane Bryant curvy pants, but 12 in pretty much everything else from Columbia to Karen Scott capris and 2 other brands of curvy jeans. Intro is probably a 10 now....hmm...now I gotta try those. Also, seriously I have not dropped in a few months, but I absolutely went down another size. This does happen. Couldn't believe it. Hang on tight! Enjoy the ride :-)

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

A lot depends on your body composition. I carried most of my weight in my abdomen, so at 197lbs, I still have a large pannus which makes it difficult to fit into smaller sizes. Depending on the cut of some clothes, I may fit into a 14 pants, but mostly a 16 I may need to lose another 30 lbs to fit into a 12 because of my pannus.

It really depends on brand and where you carry your weight. I'm 155 to 157 right now at a size 10/12. I'm also 5'2. But i notice now it takes a lot less to lose a size. Now i could probably get into an 8 in another 5 to 7lbs but its a struggle because I'm top heavy. My thighs will always fit pants before my stomach.

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

I am also 5'6" and although I haven't lost a ton, I have gone up and down all of my life and found that 20 lbs equal a change in size for me

I've only lost 18 pounds but I've gone from a 1-2XL to an XL in tops. But in pants I'm still wearing size 18. Some are a little big in the thighs, and some pants like leggings I have had to buy a 1X. A 16 is just too tight right now. It's been 9 weeks since surgery. I can tell I will lose from my stomach/waist area last.

Everyone is different- we all carry weight in different places.

I'm 7 months post sleeve. I'm down 100 pounds since I started the program and 71 since surgery.

I started at a 22W/2X, lost 30 pounds before surgery and was a 20/XL when I went into surgery. Pretty much skipped right into 16's by 2 months post op and am now a 12-14 (12 dresses/14 pants mostly). I was dropping inches quickly early on and dropped sizes quickly. I haven't changed sizes in about 2 months now though I might be able to go down to a medium shirt since the large is getting a little to big in the boob area. I carry my weight in my hips, thighs and lower stomach so pants have been a slower change for me.

I think this can vary a lot, depending on how people "carry their weight" (what an odd expression!).

Pre surgery I was 334 and wore a 3x/24 in both tops and bottoms. Some brands were snug - but this was the size I wore for Eloquii, Lane Bryant, Talbots, Eileen Fisher, etc.

I wore these clothes until I lost 40 lbs, then alot of the clothes became unworkable, especially pants (I wear a lot of career/fitted pants).

I have lost 65 lbs, I am 270 and 5'8" and am wearing a size 20 in most pants, 18 in skirts/dresses and 18 in tops. I am wearing more dresses and skirts because they are more forgiving to size changes than trousers are.

I am not losing as quickly around my hips/thighs as much as I am in my upper body and belly.

Since I carry in my thighs I figure I will follow the others who take a really long time to go down in inches below the waist. It is what it is.

Lots of great info on this thread.

I wonder if, if you keep the weight off for a year or so and go for the plastics, someone who has the thunder thighs can't help things along with some Lipo along with the thigh skin removal. How nice it would be to have a proportional body instead of keeping Barney the Dinosaur shape. A girl can dream!

Adding to this.

i looked up My before measurements and looked at JJill size charts. For those of us with the big hips and thighs, it is more about the inches than the pounds lost. From 2x to 1x I'd need to lose 4 inches (because the plus sizes are so generous). To make it into a size 16 I'd need to lose 6 inches.