Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who did you tell that you had WLS? Did you find it helpful that others knew? How supportive were others? I'm considering being open about it in hopes that it keeps me on track and I'll have less explaining to do later.

I told my parents and my best friend. That's it...

A notable stigma is attached to bariatric surgery. Uninformed people see it as the "easy way out" and will suggest you avoid surgery by getting a personal trainer, eating less, and exercising more.

Losing weight is not the real problem for most of us in the obese/formerly obese category. In fact, I'd lost 200+ pounds over the years before considering surgery (lose 30, regain 50, lose 60, regain 100, etc).

Also, some people on the periphery, such as jealous coworkers and acquaintances, secretly hope we regain whatever we lose with surgery. Some people may do it in a passive manner by mentioning those who have gained it all back.

Since I didn't want peoples' bat-**** commentary, I told only those I cared about.

Edited by Introversion

From the very beginning I told everyone. I didn't feel like having to hide why I am eating so little now, not drinking at meals, not drinking alcohol, etc. Everyone I've told has been very supportive, at least to my face. The manager at the local Zoe's Kitchen still comes up to me and says how great I'm doing. But even if someone started giving me grief, I could care less. It's my life and my body, not theirs. You can't control how people behave, you can only control your reaction.

I told my real friends. They were supportive. I told 4 people. I didn't tell my family or people I knew couldn't keep their mouth shut.

2 years later I am very happy with my decision because while at first you feel like a weight loss patient. I don't feel like a weight loss patient now and I don't want other people putting that label on me for the rest of my life.

I previously had a co-worker that had WLS (RNY) and all people at work did was comment on what she ate behind her back and the fact that she was still huge even years after surgery (she was 5 years post-op and still a large plus sized lady). I didn't want those kinds of problems.

I have not told anybody but my family. I don't owe anything to anybody. If people notice my weight loss, I will just say that I am eating cleaner and less food. At least that isn't a lie, since it will be the truth. After all, the specifics are really none of their business.

I didn't tell but just a few people: a few friends who have had WLS and my family. It's a personal choice....

I told everyone that ask me about my weight loss. I use to go to TOPS and have seen a few of the members off and on. One would ask me in a sour kind of way, How much weight have you lost now? 2 I seen at the grocery store (I had seen them more than this time but...) They tried to ignore me and me being the type of person that doesn't care how uncomfortble it gets!!! I said well HI, they just sat there with blank looks on their faces!! Then I pushed it a little more, and said you don't remember me? I am Sherrie, then they said oh yeah I remember you!! They weren't to happy!! But...you know what "OH WELL" The main reason I was so open with my RNY is I feel like if just one person does something about their weight I would be happy. Putting it out there might just be the push someone needs to get the ball rolling!! That's just me!!

I am still debating to tell or not and really don't want to tell everyone. My husband and best friend know and are very supportive. Your stories help greatly so I know I can do this without sharing with my coworkers. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BariatricPal mobile app

18 hours ago, Introversion said:

Since I didn't want peoples' bat-**** commentary, I told only those I cared about.

I did the same. I only told my immediate family and so far I am happy with my decision.

I became physically disabled 6 yrs ago after a deathly bout of pneumonia ...my weight has hindered my recovery even now 6 yrs down the road. I told no one but my husband and my niece who had the surgery. I was sleeved on July 21. I really don't know how I will react until I am faced either with support or with negativity. My main answer right now is" yes I had wls, it has been very difficult to live in this disabled body. I am hoping for a better quality of life. "
It can be said nicely or with the venom of a cobra.....you decide.
This is my life and my body. I owe no one anything.
Get on board and support me or f**k off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

I told my family and friends that I see in person. I told everyone ar work bc they are like an extended family and we support each other and one of the girls even said she was considering it as well. I did not announce it on social media bc I have come this close to unfriending ignorant people over this topic. I had someone post about how she lost 60# and didn't cheat and take the easy way out by having surgery that she went to the gym every day to lose the weight. I was so posed and commented about how weight loss surgery is not cheating, it's a tool and some people cannot physically perform exercises at the gym and with co-morbidities surgery may be their only option over death. This was before I even had surgery but it kills me that purple can be like this. She then either deleted the whole post or blocked me from seeing the post of that's an option idk. But I figure I don't see these people they don't need to know the intimate details of my life. But I feel comfortable telling everyone else especially if can help someone else to change their life for the better.

Told my husband and two teen daughters. Told my two best friends. Everyone else - including my sister and mother, have no idea. I owe them nothing. When people ask, I say I have been working with a medical team, monitoring every bite I eat and logging it, working on Portion Control, eating between 60-90 grams of Protein a days and drinking at least 64 ounces of Water and exercising hard for at least an hour 5 out of 7 days a week.

All of that is true.