Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Requirements As We Loose

I have been wondering about our Protein requirements as we loose weight. I understand that as we are loosing weight we need protein to maintain our muscles and cellular repair. But if you are loosing at a much slower rate or at goal, wouldn't our protein requirement be less?

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Protein goals are set at lean mass, not total body mass. A sedentary adult would only require 40 grams for female and 60 grams for male as an average. Up that another 20-ish for a somewhat active adult. For muscle gain, at least 100 grams. For serious muscle mass gains, 1 gram per pound of lean mass.

As you lose weight, your lean mass will hopefully stay the same (no hypotrophy). Better yet would be mass gain (hypertrophy). So to answer your question, no your protein requirement does not lessen as you lose weight.

Thank you for your reply. While I read the same thing you just posted for non bariatric people, this is not the advice I was given by my surgeon/program. I was told to do at least 65 grams of Protein daily. But your response ties into a lower amount which was my thought as well. I think the 40 is a better indicator for me at this point since I am not super active at the moment.

While you may not be super active, you are healing after major surgery. The higher Protein recommendation holds true in your case. The 40 grams of protein would be for a sedentary average woman, not a fresh bariatric patient.

Always give your surgeon more credit than a guy on the internet!

What do you consider a fresh bariatric patient? I am going on 16 months out. I certainly would not have lowered my Protein intake for the first year, but many things are different at this point. And things I was told 16 months ago have changed per my nutritionist and my surgeon. For example I am able to drink carbonated beverages. Aquifina 0 calorie with 2 ingredients. I am also permitted to do insaids per my surgeon, just in moderation. Things change all the time. Our guidelines will change and improve over the years.

Apologies, I thought you were recently post op because of the nature of the question. I made the assumption you were in the rapid weight loss phase. If you are 16 months out, do what works for you. You're healed and you have already established your eating habits.

My nutritionist said that we need the Protein to rebuild cells- in our intestines the villi are replaces much more frequently and without the protein we can end up malnourished because of that- also without enough protein in about 3 months our hair will begin falling out. She said she has seen women with male pattern baldness for that reason. It will come back with increased protein though. I'm not an expert so I'd do more research on trusted nutritional sites as well. Nutrition is nothing to mess around with I'm learning.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 198 GW 135

Agreed. Been there, done that. I have heard that Hair loss could be from lack of Protein, Vitamins and also that it is a side effect of the anesthesia used in surgery. Depends who you talk to. We have discussed this at meetings I have attended. Some people suggest using Biotin to help. Some people have tried it all, with no benefits. Mine just started regrowing when the weight loss basically stopped at 10 months. I have heard other's say the same thing. I am no longer in fast weight loss mode and now looking for what works on a long term basis. It makes sense to me that in fast weight loss mode higher protein is more important because our bodies are breaking down and rebuilding cells as it was explained to me. If this is the case then once we slow down, do we still require the same amount of protein?

Apologies, I thought you were recently post op because of the nature of the question. I made the assumption you were in the rapid weight loss phase. If you are 16 months out, do what works for you. You're healed and you have already established your eating habits.

No worries. If you were using the mobile app you wouldn't see that information on the side. Thank you for your input.

Web md says adult men need about 57g per day and adult, not nursing or pregnant women need about 40 g per day. I trust webmd overall.

Mich W

Web md says adult men need about 57g per day and adult, not nursing or pregnant women need about 40 g per day. I trust webmd overall.

Mich W

Is this information for people who have had bariatric surgery or for people who have not?

Just people. Our bodies still have the same nutritional requirement I would think. I'll try to do some deeper research today from some on web sources as well. My work offers nutrition consultations through our wellness benefit.I'll look into it.

Mich W

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096273/#s3title
This article talks about nutrition after weight loss I believe long term. Looks like a good one

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 197.4 GW 135

Love the article. Thank you.

As for Protein needs changing as you lose weight... go by what your DR and NUT say. The materials they gave me for lifetime maintenance still say minimum 60 grams of protein.
I am currently working on 80 to 100g per day and plan to increase that as I add back gym days. Pre op I was aiming for 100 to 120g and hitting gym for strength training 3x week.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, Missy161 said:

Mich W

The government has a 900 page PDF about Protein intake that cites about a ton of studies. I linked it a while back. I trust that a lot more than WebMD (which is universally hated by all Doctors).

The numbers you quoted are the bare minimum a person needs NOT TO BE SICK. Not what is suggest for optimal health. The government found that unless you had some pre-existing kidney issues, you can eat up to 250 grams of protein a day with no adverse effects.

WLS patients and food addicts needs higher protein diets because protein is lower in calories and keeps you full longer. It helps prevent over eating.

Everyone can eat how they want, but I know I wouldn't have lost nearly as much if I was eating 60 grams of protein a day. I would have lost a ton of muscle (I have lost maybe 5 pounds of muscle and 180 pounds of fat). That has helped keep my metabolism higher and I can consume more, or really just have more of a cushion so I don't have to try and maintain on super lower calories forever. Also eating 120 grams of protein a day leaves me little room for anything else except veggies, which keeps my calorie intake naturally low, without even trying to keep it low.