Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new to this.... post-op 4 weeks and very scared

Hi everyone -

I am from NYC but work and live in Abu Dhabi for the last 5 years. I recently had the gastric sleeve surgery in Egypt with a very reputable surgeon who was recommended to me by many. Everything went great thank God and I returned back to Abu Dhabi after the first week. I am currently here alone and my entire family is back in NY so it's been tough. I'm moving back next month but in the meantime I'm doing this all on my own. I don't have a dietitian here and no support groups and no one really knows I did this because I didn't want to share with people at work or acquaintances. I started at 180lbs and lost 15lbs so far, starting week 4 today. My doctor had me on Clear Liquids the first three weeks but allowed me to add yogurt, Jello, and Protein Shakes for week 3 as well a Multivitamin. Now that i'm starting week 4 he said I can eat anything but i'm so scared. Most of all scared because I feel like I can't taste anything anymore.... the weight is off but i'm scared this is too good to be true like everything else i've tried. I feel great and i'm not craving anything but am I supposed to be like this forever? I'm worried that I won't know what full feels... I guess I just get anxiety because there's no one to talk to and i'm not sure if what i'm feeling is normal. My family suggested finding a support group online until I go home so I'm hoping this will help. My mom also did the surgery back home in April and she's been doing great so she's always helping me when she can. Will these feelings pass? Will I be able to go out to dinner or just cook at home and eat more than two spoonfuls of food?

Thank you for hearing my story.

Edited by Tina1102

Hey I had really bad depression and anxiety after mine I'm at 3 weeks post op I found being around friends and family helped if not I would keep busy like watch TV shows go out shopping etc I felt even more miserable because I didn't have any comfort such as food and cigarettes [emoji51] Doimg better now just hang in there you will be able to eat more as you get along I'm on pureed / soft food and I can have half a cup each meal I but if I start to feel full I'll stop

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey I had really bad depression and anxiety after mine I'm at 3 weeks post op I found being around friends and family helped if not I would keep busy like watch TV shows go out shopping etc I felt even more miserable because I didn't have any comfort such as food and cigarettes [emoji51] Doimg better now just hang in there you will be able to eat more as you get along I'm on pureed / soft food and I can have half a cup each meal I but if I start to feel full I'll stop

Thank you so much [emoji4] I do feel better knowing that things will change. How long did it take you till you were able to have 1/2 cup of food?

That's okay you will be fine [emoji14] and I started around 2 weeks post op on half cup before that I was working my way up with the liquids [emoji4]

Greatttt [emoji5] thanks so much, today is week 4 so we'll see how it goes [emoji120]

Tina, I am so sorry you have to start this very difficult journey so far away from your support. It must be difficult but I hear so much strength in your post. You can do this.

I am nearly 6 months post op and almost all my concerns have faded away. I feel so amazing the little idiosyncrasies I deal with now are minimal.

I do not feel real hunger. This is something I am grateful for. Early on I had lots of head hunger but to this day I don't have any symptoms of hunger. This has enabled me to stick to my eating plan so well.

This group is the only support that I receive. It is an amazing resource and I feel like it is sufficient for my needs. I do not have a support group in my area and I live in a small town. I can't even go to a local therapist because everyone in the neighborhood will know I need a shrink:-)

By about three months out I started to feel "normal". I could comfortably eat 4-6 ounces of food and enjoy a dinner out with friends without feeling like a weirdo for only eating a few bites.

In short, you will be fine. Without a nutritionist it is hard. A simple formula I have learned for success is 60-100 g of Protein a day, no more than 25 carbs, and 64 ounces of liquid each day. Early on I couldn't reach 60 so for now make it a goal that you are trying to reach. The 64 ounces can include the liquid you get from shakes, coffee, tea, etc. At 4 weeks this can be done but for me I needed at least one Protein Shake a day that had 30g of protein.

Take your vitamins...so important.

I know you will do great!

Take care

Tina, I am so sorry you have to start this very difficult journey so far away from your support. It must be difficult but I hear so much strength in your post. You can do this.

I am nearly 6 months post op and almost all my concerns have faded away. I feel so amazing the little idiosyncrasies I deal with now are minimal.

I do not feel real hunger. This is something I am grateful for. Early on I had lots of head hunger but to this day I don't have any symptoms of hunger. This has enabled me to stick to my eating plan so well.

This group is the only support that I receive. It is an amazing resource and I feel like it is sufficient for my needs. I do not have a support group in my area and I live in a small town. I can't even go to a local therapist because everyone in the neighborhood will know I need a shrink:-)

By about three months out I started to feel "normal". I could comfortably eat 4-6 ounces of food and enjoy a dinner out with friends without feeling like a weirdo for only eating a few bites.

In short, you will be fine. Without a nutritionist it is hard. A simple formula I have learned for success is 60-100 g of Protein a day, no more than 25 carbs, and 64 ounces of liquid each day. Early on I couldn't reach 60 so for now make it a goal that you are trying to reach. The 64 ounces can include the liquid you get from shakes, coffee, tea, etc. At 4 weeks this can be done but for me I needed at least one Protein Shake a day that had 30g of protein.

Take your vitamins...so important.

I know you will do great!

Take care

Hi Pam,
Thank you so so much for your kind words and encouragement. That's very sweet of you and you made me feel like I'm not alone in this.

I'm so happy things are going well with you and that you've recovered beautifully. It's so funny because you said something I've been thinking which is that I'm hoping to go out to dinner with friends or family and not be a weirdo when the food comes lol I can't wait till that time comes and I can feel somewhat normal.

I just can't wait to be home next months and I'm sure it'll make things better. I do take Protein Shakes now 30g of protein each but since starting week 4 today I'll limit it to only one shake and see how that goes.

I think maybe what I'm feeling is that head hunger also like you said and since I'm here alone I guess I've turned to good whenever I was bored or had any other emotions going on. Now it's just hard to figure out what to do but thank God I have a dog so he does keep me company

I'm 4 months out, and can eat 4 ounces of most things, 3oz of solid Protein, or 8 ounces of Soup at a sitting. From what I read on the board, it seems this is pretty typical (I might eat a smidge more than most, but close enough...). When I go to a restaurant, I can finish a cup of soup.. not broth necessarily.. I mean chili, or bean soup, or whatever. This was possible at about 2-3 months postop.

At this point, things feel "normal" to me now. My new normal. There for a while, I was kinda horrified by the portions I saw others eating, but I've gotten used to that now too. I know I won't be eating that much, but it doesn't faze me. Kinda like if I saw someone eating Pork rinds (and I don't like pork rinds). Good for them, but it has nothing to do with me.

As for the weight staying off? That is completely under your control. The hunger will probably come back within a year, so you will need to use this time to learn new, healthy eating habits, and they'll have to be lifelong. Just like any diet you've ever been on, if you stop paying attention, and just eat what everyone else is eating, the weight will come back.

Full feels different for each person. I feel it low in my abdomen, while most feel it more in the chest area. I can eat happily, and then suddenly I'll feel like one more bite is A REALLY BAD IDEA. If it happens while I'm chewing, I go ahead and spit out that mouthful. I haven't really ever been uncomfortable or vomited from overeating since I get such a distinct feeling (touch wood).