Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of joining WW ?

I lost and gained between 20 and 55 pounds four times on weight watchers. When I last did the program there was little emphasis on reducing carbohydrates and increasing Proteins. I felt at the time that the program was behind the times. From what I've read, they've changed their approach a bit since then. I still would not ever do it again because all but a small handful of patrons at my meetings were just like me: yo-yoing all over the place for 49.99 a month.

My plan was to just attend the support meetings but to continue my Bariatric Eating and just to use them as a weekly discipline group and weigh in . My job pays for WW but also paid for my surgery . Definitely have no interest in making friends there since I would have nothing in common with anyone . I am seeing a nutritionist but I feel like they rush me in and out and I don't learn anything . She gives me the same crappy menu every month when I go . The old me always wanted to be a lifetime member at WW and I couldn't even lose 5 pounds . Maybe I just want to say haha I did it who knows . But I can tell you that since my surgeon only sees me every 3 months now, since my last visit I have been careless since I know I don't have to answer to anyone until the end of September. I haven't lost and am playing with the same 3 pounds .

5 hours ago, Little Green said:

I'm a current member of TOPS. I would caution bariatric patients about it... not that you can't, or even shouldn't, join, but just be cautious about it. Based on my 4 years of experience with TOPS they have an extremely negative view of bariatric surgery with members considering it "cheating" and looking down on it. You are not eligible for any royalty awards which is a clear indicator they do not consider WLS-assisted weight loss as an achievement to be celebrated equally. All members who get bariatric surgery are placed into one single division no matter their starting weight. So you could have a 220-lb woman in the same division as a 500-lb man - there is no way that lower weight people could have a fair shot at winning their division, as they go by pounds lost, not percent!

However, even if you don't care about the awards at all, you also cannot be Best Loser in your weekly group. So, no matter how well you do, you will not be recognized in the TOPS traditions.

Also, imagine sitting at a table with your former self (or 5-6 of your former selves, or 20-25, or however big your group is) and how frustrated and hopeless you felt back then because you kept losing and regaining the same 20 lbs. Do you think anyone is going to listen to what you have to say, about nutrition, or willpower, or suggestions for managing cravings, etc.? No. As soon as you pipe up, their ears will close because in their mind, you cheated by getting surgery. I really don't think that is a positive or helpful environment for a bariatric patient to be in and that's why I'm not staying.

Dang, this is by far the most negative post I have ever written on this site! LOL! I'm so sorry! I guess I needed to rant because I'm feeling frustrated that I "have" to leave my group. I just know once I told them about surgery that all of the "support" I get from the group would go away. Every time WLS comes up the conversation is so negative and smug. Even though there are people in my group who joined in the 90's and are 50 or 100 lbs heavier than they were when they joined, so you'd think they'd be open-minded since their way clearly doesn't work. I don't know. Maybe it's just my group and another TOPS group would be great. But I'm not so sure and I don't want to risk the negativity.

Little Green, I am sorry that you are having this trouble. I do know that it used to be against TOPS guidelines to even be a member if you have had WLS. But that has changed in a big way. Yes the members that had WLS couldn't be in the contests. But most everyone was ok with a WLS lady that came to their group. I do see what you are saying but at least you can be held accountable. I have been involved with TOPs for quite awhile heck I was even a Leader, Weight Recorder etc. I didn't have my WLS yet. But the last time I quit I felt like we had many connections with everyone. When I stopped going, I called the Leader just to see how everthing was going. She was totaly rude to me!! This was a person who we (my daughter even my hubby started going) had lunch with and thought she was my freind. NOT!! It just went to show me that I was wrong thinking our group was what the TRUE TOPS was supposed to be like.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Weight Watchers. Just like with anything, if you have the correct mindset, you'll make it work. Same with WLS.

My sister ended up losing more weight than I did on Weight Watchers and has kept off every pound for years. I can't even say that, as I've fluctuated 10-15 pounds. I personally think WLS has screwed up my metabolism, but that's a whole other subject.

KEEPING the weight off... that was my issue. It always came back. With a bit more.
I needed something long term... I chose banding in 2006. I'm thinking I'm lucky I got to keep my weight off and keep my band. Many cannot for lots of reasons
I'm just thankful because in the 10 years since surgery, I'm sure I would have increased my weight from 272. To. ???
Glad I'm where I am.
Not perfect ever. But many more good days than bad !

10 hours ago, Little Green said:

Maybe it's just my group and another TOPS group would be great. But I'm not so sure and I don't want to risk the negativity.

It's not just your group. My mom belonged to one and she's told me some things...no one seemed to have lost weigh and kept it off. It was more of a time to talk about what they ate that they shouldn't and it's ok, do better next time deal. She left. I don't know how they view wls in her group but I can probably bet it's exactly as you had described it.

14 hours ago, Newme17 said:

It's not just your group. My mom belonged to one and she's told me some things...no one seemed to have lost weigh and kept it off. It was more of a time to talk about what they ate that they shouldn't and it's ok, do better next time deal. She left. I don't know how they view wls in her group but I can probably bet it's exactly as you had described it.

Yes. Honestly I don't really like TOPS itself at all anymore (regardless of surgery) but I still go because some of the members have become friends and I feel like I need to keep the pseudoscience in check. We do a "program" each week but anyone can bring in any content. The # of random Dr. Oz and Women's World crappy fad diet articles that people bring in drives me nuts. I was the leader of our group for awhile and tried to influence the program types but then my husband's accident happen and I had to step down so nothing ever really stuck. So now I just try to pipe up a lot and offer sound nutrition advice prefaced with, "My registered dietitian told me blah blah... HINT HINT" LOL.