Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else able to "gulp" water? Had revision on June 28th...

Fellow DS fam..... I keep reading about sipping Water. I was very much in shock when I could take a fairly average drink of water. When I had my gastric bypass and took a large "gulp" of water it was like NOPE and would come back up. With my DS I can take a normal drink of water...just wondering if I was alone in this. I saw my lil pouch whenever they did the x-ray to make sure no holes or leakage, but I have still shocked. Could it possibly be because I am still on the "liquid" diet per say? Today is the first day that I can have soft Protein eggs, beans and what not....so I am just curious. I did not eat any eggs or oatmeal this morning just went with a protein shake- and I brought another for lunch. I plan on making the ricotta bake tonight for dinner. I have not yet seen the push back from my tummy saying no, you cannot take anymore but then in that same sentence I am not "eating" to get full just trying to reach my protein intake. Which honestly yesterday was the first day I got maybe 65 grams of protein....I was super stoked. I appreciate any advice, really want to hear back from fellow DS people....TIA!:1330_v_tone1:

I had revision from sleeve to DS on the 28th. I can drink more than I was able to the days (one ounce) following surgery. I don't gulp. If I try to drink too much (like three swallows/drink) my tummy says, 'have you lost your mind'. I have never had to vomit behind any weight loss surgery. I'm struggling to get my Protein in because my body (for the first time) is rejecting all things sugar free - doesn't matter the type...I'm married to the throne.

14 minutes ago, HopeFaith said:

I had revision from sleeve to DS on the 28th. I can drink more than I was able to the days (one ounce) following surgery. I don't gulp. If I try to drink too much (like three swallows/drink) my tummy says, 'have you lost your mind'. I have never had to vomit behind any weight loss surgery. I'm struggling to get my Protein in because my body (for the first time) is rejecting all things sugar free - doesn't matter the type...I'm married to the throne.

Wow I am so sorry that must be so tough, this morning was the first time since surgery I felt like I could throw up. But it was totally my fault...I took my pills and then brushed my teeth. I literally looked myself in the mirror and said don't do this and stood up straight hoping gravity would help. It did, but I still feel like I have a lump in my throat. You had your surgery on June 28th as well? Lucky I don't get to eat meat until the end of this month. Hope things get better for you.

Grinning stops vomiting (don't know where I heard that though.)

Thank you!

My Dr allows mussy foods from days 8 to 28. If the meat can be broken easily with a fork like canned tuna and chicken we can have it. Or cooked fish.

Whoa - I hope you don't mind me asking, but I was looking at your personal stats on the left side of your post and saw that you've lost 65 lbs in about 2-3 weeks. Really? That's stunning! How is your body handling that?

*pre-op newbie stares in wonder*

Whoa - I hope you don't mind me asking, but I was looking at your personal stats on the left side of your post and saw that you've lost 65 lbs in about 2-3 weeks. Really? That's stunning! How is your body handling that?

Let me clarify :) When I started my process with my doctor I was 390 ( I did my three months work out/and diet with my nutritionist).....so when I had my pre-op meeting (June 5th) I was 365. I started my liquid diet on June 7th....day of surgery I was 340/339. (cannot recall exactly surgery morning was a bit of blur) Now...I weighed yesterday and I have only lost 1 lbs....I fear I might be in that stall. But overall I am feeling optimistic. Keep up the great work GenJones! :)

i was told to take my Water everywhere and sip. i am several weeks out and still cant gulp.

Edited by AdorableAsian34

30 minutes ago, AdorableAsian34 said:

i was told to take my Water everywhere and sip. i am several weeks out and still cant gulp.

Ya I cannot go anywhere without water! But I have always been prone to carrying Water bottles. :)

I couldn't drink normally until week 3. If I drank too fast or too much before then, it really hurt! Like most other people, I take Water with me everywhere and drink all day long.

I had my VS June 12 and week 3 was told not to sip but take big gulps by my surgeon. Usually is uncomfortable the first one but if I do it twice an hour I'm ok.