Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op 15 days and no weight loss

So I lost 9lbs first few days after surgery, but I haven't lost anything else for 10 days now!!! Is this surgery not going to work for me???? What should I do??

Search for week 3 stall, it's really common! You're possibly just on the early side of it.

Look up the '3 week stall.' This phenomenon is so common it actually has a name. In addition, try to stay off the scale for several weeks. You didn't become obese overnight and you won't lose it overnight, either.

When's the last time you lost 9 pounds in a few days? I'm guessing the answer is 'never.' You're doing wonderfully and I assure you the scale will start moving again. A fear of failure is common.

Realistic expectations are imperative when losing weight. Due to your low starting weight, it's likely you'll never be someone who loses 30+ pounds a month. The sooner you embrace this reality, the better.

My height and starting weight were almost identical to yours. I lost at an average rate of about 6 pounds monthly. Yes, I was a dreadfully slow loser and it took 17 months for me to lose 100 pounds. What matters is I eventually reached my goal weight and have maintained my weight loss.

Good luck to you. :)

Google "three week stall" and stay off of the scale for the first month. Your body is desperately trying to heal, and weight loss comes second to that. Make meeting your Protein and Water goals your full-time job, and the weight will begin to slowly come off.

Everything about this journey is a marathon, not a sprint.

So I lost 9lbs first few days after surgery, but I haven't lost anything else for 10 days now!!! Is this surgery not going to work for me???? What should I do??

When did you have your surgery? Mine was 6.22 and I am doing the SAME THING! I am taking the same advice you've gotten. Staying off the scale. I question everything I am doing. Just wanted you to know, in right there with you!

3 minutes ago, mh121314 said:

When did you have your surgery?

Per the original poster's profile, her surgery took place on 6/25/2017.

I'm 6 wks post op. surgery was 5/25/17 Starting weight 216 now i have been stuck at 195 for 2 weeks. Was doing great at the beginning. Now nothing. I can barely eat. But I do. Small plate. Small portions. But i get full fast. So I do not understand how I can eat so little but am not losing. Frustrated!

7 hours ago, Justjoan said:

I'm 6 wks post op. surgery was 5/25/17 Starting weight 216 now i have been stuck at 195 for 2 weeks. Was doing great at the beginning. Now nothing. I can barely eat. But I do. Small plate. Small portions. But i get full fast. So I do not understand how I can eat so little but am not losing. Frustrated!

I am just a couple of weeks ahead of you with a similar starting weight. We are considered light weights and will lose slower. I have lost 23 lbs in 8 weeks and I am thrilled.

Tou are doing great. Stalls are common so don't stress. Stick to your plan and just keep going.

I'm in the same situation, thanks i really needed to hear that i'm not alone

I've done so much research on the Bariatric surgeries, especially over the past year... yet I never came across the "3 week stall", can't imagine how I missed it though. Boy I wish I had known about this last week, it would have saved me stressing. I couldn't imagine that I was eating too much to constitute a zero loss for 4 days- just 2 weeks post-op, though it sounds like stalls can last up to 2 weeks for some. I ended up reverting to my Phase 3 initial diet with super soft, mushy foods and Protein Drinks and the weight loss picked right back up immediately. Now I'm progressing back to more soft foods like fish, less mushy (but chewing 20-30 times), and I'm steady dropping .25-.5 pounds/day which is just fine with me. I'm 3 weeks post-op tomorrow.

I'm supposed to be moving to Phase 4 on Friday, but I think I'll continue on my current, more gradual path, which my surgeon and NUT fully support.

I'm glad too to hear we're in the same boat. I did lose 6 more pounds. I guess I'm just losing slow. It's frustrating. Hope you're doing well 😌

I am so glad I just came across this!! I had such a big loss in the first week and a half.. then I weighed in the two weeks after that and had only lost a few lbs. I was so bummed. It can be frustrating. But coming across this post really made me feel better. Good luck everyone!!

I'm glad we have this. So we can see, we are not alone. The scales moving again. Thank goodness. I was really get down. Half the time I think it's from not eating enough. But I'm glad you commented. Thank you and good luck to you! 😌

Edited by Justjoan
Misspelled

I am so glad to hear im not the only one! I am drinking alot of boullion and when i do that my weight goes up 2 lbs! is that from Water weight? this is so frustrating when your hardly eating and your weight goes up!