Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insight into "frustrating" success of pre op diet

This is only the third day of my pre op diet. Two Protein Drinks and a meal of Protein and veggies. I had to see a doctor yesterday and got on the scale and it was the lowest I've been in years. And then I thought what everyone else probably thinks. Hey. Why do I need surgery if I can just STARVE myself into the proper weight loss (because I am literally hungry all day now)? And then a little lightbulb floated over my head with the answer.

It's like the dawn, for me. I am a night owl. The dawn is beautiful and special. Yet I only see it if I have to be up for a trip or something. I COULD theoretically see it every day, but I WONT. I literally will not get up that early unless forced. Even, I would like to take my kids to the rose parade BUT I DONT. Because EARLY. Starving ourselves like on this pre op diet is something we simply would never do. It makes me feel better about the surgery. Maybe if it helps anyone else, I'll share my lightbulb moment.

I'll tell you the truth: yes, you could certainly lose the weight without surgery.

For many of us, losing it wasn't the problem. In fact, I've revealed previously that I've lost 200+ pounds over the years prior to resorting to bariatric surgery. Yep...I'd lose 30, regain 50, lose 50, regain 60, lose 60, regain 100, then rinse and repeat the miserable yo-yo process.

Keeping the weight off is the problematic issue here.

Personally, bariatric surgery has been my last hope for keeping the weight off. So far, since entering maintenance a year ago, my weight has been the most stable it's been in my entire adult life.

A clever physician who specializes in obesity medicine stated, "If you disliked what you did to lose the weight, you'll dislike what you've gotta do to maintain the weight. Therefore, you'll regain the weight."

The pre-op diet is good for short-term weight loss, but it ain't sustainable in the long run. If we are true to ourselves, we'd know deep down that we really wouldn't adhere to two shakes a day and a 'sensible' Protein dinner for the rest of our lives.

Good luck to you. :)

Edited by Introversion

Hell yes! Like my name says, my prolactinoma would never let me do this for long. I haven't tried. I love seeing your success. I'd love to have similar stabilization at a healthy weight one day. That's why I am here. For health. Great quote from that doc!

2 hours ago, GotProlactinoma said:

Starving ourselves like on this pre op diet is something we simply would never do.

I did not lose a lot on my pre-op liquid diet. 8 pounds barely.

The best thing about WLS for me is I am NEVER hungry basically. I have been easily to lose weight easily because it has been stress free. I am not hungry. I do not feel deprived. I am not suffering. That was never the case prior to surgery. And even if I want to eat a lot I can't or I start and I am like meh, not even interested. Would have never been possible pre-op.

I also have the confidence that comes with losing a lot of weight, and that makes me want to keep it off because now I know the difference. And I feel like I can easily maintain this weight loss, because it has been basically effortless.

I did not lose a lot on my pre-op liquid diet. 8 pounds barely.
The best thing about WLS for me is I am NEVER hungry basically. I have been easily to lose weight easily because it has been stress free. I am not hungry. I do not feel deprived. I am not suffering. That was never the case prior to surgery. And even if I want to eat a lot I can't or I start and I am like meh, not even interested. Would have never been possible pre-op.
I also have the confidence that comes with losing a lot of weight, and that makes me want to keep it off because now I know the difference. And I feel like I can easily maintain this weight loss, because it has been basically effortless.

I'm just feeling this way now. The first two-three weeks I felt hungry and discouraged. Now I have to force myself to eat (or at least remind myself to eat). I feel no deprivation. No struggle. This is awesome!

23 hours ago, GotProlactinoma said:

This is only the third day of my pre op diet. Two Protein Drinks and a meal of Protein and veggies. I had to see a doctor yesterday and got on the scale and it was the lowest I've been in years. And then I thought what everyone else probably thinks. Hey. Why do I need surgery if I can just STARVE myself into the proper weight loss (because I am literally hungry all day now)? And then a little lightbulb floated over my head with the answer.

It's like the dawn, for me. I am a night owl. The dawn is beautiful and special. Yet I only see it if I have to be up for a trip or something. I COULD theoretically see it every day, but I WONT. I literally will not get up that early unless forced. Even, I would like to take my kids to the rose parade BUT I DONT. Because EARLY. Starving ourselves like on this pre op diet is something we simply would never do. It makes me feel better about the surgery. Maybe if it helps anyone else, I'll share my lightbulb moment.

I'm scheduled for my sleeve on July 11 and am on day 9 pre-op diet. I have to agree with your revelation. A couple of days in I was like "Hey, this isn't so bad, I'm down a couple of pounds, the shakes are decent, I can eat a salad and chicken/fish for dinner. Why don't I call the doctor and cancel and do this for a few months". Why? Because last night I would have killed someone for a slice of pizza. But it wouldn't have been one slice, it would have been a whole pie, probably followed by ice cream as I would have said to myself: "well you messed up so go big or go home".

I'll be keeping my Tuesday appointment with the surgeon!!!

Edited by wingnutdad620
spelling/clarity

It's so funny that so much of us think that we could stay with the pre-op diet and just skip the surgery. We wouldn't even be here if we could...so many diets...so much time and money. I tried everything...almost two years ago I started the program for gastric bypass...I did so well on the pre-op diet and because my support group didn't want me to do the bypass...I just stayed on the diet and skipped the surgery. I was so sure I would keep losing weight...I lost 28 lbs and then,like always..the weight started coming back on. When I started on the gastric sleeve program last Nov. I had gained 15 lbs. Now that I'm almost 2 months out from my sleeve and getting close to 75 lbs down I KNOW I could not have done this with out the surgery. I'm never hungry...I can eat what I need to...and I have no cravings...I am strong and I am back to hiking which has been years since I could handle hillsides. My life has been handed back to me...it's actually a miracle!! And I know without a doubt if I hadn't done the surgery I would be gaining weight already and miserable...thank you Jesus that my support group got on board and I'll never look back and think I could have done this on my own.

Oh I had those thoughts too. I lost 15 lbs on my preop diet. I had myself almost talked out of surgery. While I've been learning how to NOT comfort myself with food, the fact that I physically CAN'T has been what's helped me learn. I've been forced to learn how to make myself feel better without using food. If I had been on a regular diet there's no doubt I'd already be off of it and be right back to my old ways. The mind games we play!

I think it's part of our nature. Every diet I ever started I always thought that this time I would do it. I have been over 250 for most of my adult life. But I never lost hope that one day I would be free from this weight and all the baggage that came with it. I would never have been successful until I dealt with the "whys" I was obese. It took years of therapy but I did it. A lot of people here say "I should have done this years ago" I just wasn't ready until now... and that's why I know I will finally be under 200 and eventually at my goal weight...cuz I am now free from the need to hide behind the fat...I'm free!!! And it feels amazing!