Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Change of plans...

I've been on vacation for the last week and a half, and have spent most of my time (since we are visiting my in-laws :) ) on dialup in my hotel room doing additional research on our favorite topic here.

I'm sure some people might think it's a waste of money, but I've decided to self-pay for the surgery in my home town (Austin, Texas) instead of going to Mexico. (With the surgeon I had originally worked with before my insurance denial.)

It's going to cost me $16,000 instead of $6,500 (of which I've already paid a $500 deposit that I'll lose) but I know my aftercare won't be an issue, and if anything goes wrong, I'll have a 5 minute drive to the doctor's office. And, if it takes 5 fills to find my "sweet spot", it won't be nearly the deal it would be if I had to go to TJ 5 times. (I was having a very hard time finding a doctor locally who would perform my fills if I went out of country.)

Fortunately, I was able to get financing for the extra $10k at a very reasonable interest rate, and I'm sure that it will pay for itself very quickly. You have no idea how much money I spent on sushi on a weekly basis =)

Dr. Fass will be doing my surgery. I'm not sure if anyone knows that name, but he's a very nice guy, and has quite a bit of experience. He was one of the doctors doing the procedure during the FDA trials, and I believe he assisted during Sharon Osborne's surgery =) (Not that that qualifies him, but I thought it was an entertaining notion anyway.)

I have my final pre-op appointment with Dr. Fass on Thursday, so I should get a date then.

Oh yeah, the other "up side" is that even after I do the private pay, I can continue the appeal process with my insurance company, and hope to get reimbursed, eventually.

Anyway, just thought I'd "update" you all, since I have no doubt this community will be a source of support for years to come. =)

Jonathan

Jonathan, the most important thing is that you are comfortable with your decision and it sounds like you are, so that's good. Let us know when your date is.

Nancy

Sounds like a great idea to me. It's very possible with tenacity, you can get the insurance to reimburse you. You surely could NOT if you went to Mexico. Good luck!! I hope you have great success!!

Jonathan,

Good luck in your surgery. I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision. It doesn't matter where you get it done, only that you do it! It's a decision I'm really glad I made..although I did get banded in TJ, luckily it's only a 3 hour drive and I love staying in San Diego anyway! And I love Dr. Ortiz and Martinez!

Jonathan, best of luck to you! Please keep us posted on your surgery date. Glad you've thought this out and considered your aftercare needs. There's a lot to think about! You've already begun your journey to a healthier you!

Well thouth out plan. Wish you the best in your journey. No one here should even consider telling you anything other then you decision is your own and thats that.

AS all others here say keep us posted. We do care.

Good for you! I think whatever decision you make, as long as you are happy with it then that's all that matters. I as on my second appeal with my insurance company when I decided that no matter the outcome this time, I was going to have it done with my surgeon whether I had to pay for it or not. Luckily, my insurance did come through at the last minute so I was lucky, but as you said, that may happen with you as well.

Good luck to you and we are here to support.

Jonathan, you'll be happy with your choice. But please tell me, which doctor in Mexico is only charging $6500? That's the lowest I've ever seen.

Jonathan, you'll be happy with your choice. But please tell me, which doctor in Mexico is only charging $6500? That's the lowest I've ever seen.

The Molding Clinic in TJ. It's a special they're running from Jan 1st to Jan 15th. (Dr. F. Danial Haucuz Guizar does the surgery, Andres Betancourt is the patient coordinator.)

Jonathan

I've never even heard of that clinic or doctor. Looks like we have more options for Tijuana, and that is an incredible price! You could get 4 bands in Mexico for the price of one in Vegas. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

This clinic/dr. was the subject of a very controversial thread here. If you need additional information, please "pm" me so we can avoid that happening again. Thanks!

Avoid what from happening? I did a search for the doctor and the clinic but didn't find any related threads.

Do a search on "molding" and then read the locked thread.