Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in Mexico? Is this safe?

I keep reading about people having their surgery done in Mexico. Is this safe? How qualified are these doctors? How did you find a great doctor in Mexico? I will be self-pay and I am still trying to decide between lap band surgery and gastric bypass.

Anne

One thing that makes me feel better about having it done in Mexico is that they have many more years of experience than here in the US, I've been reading and according to many of their websites they started using the lap band in Mexico more then 10 years ago, so I guess Other than my money issue I have one more positive thing to take in to account.:eek:

PLease Please Please do a SEARCH for Mexico ... there are more threads on this subject than you even have time to read.

(LOTS AND LOTS of people have their bands done in Mexico)

Most US docs have been trained by Mexican doctors at least the ones who have been doing US bands since 2001.

I had mine done locally because my insurance paid... I would of gladly went south if needed..........

However,

Denver (lapbandrockiesdotcom) has docs for under 10K

Topeka Kansas (tallgrass surgery center) for under 11K

I also think their is a place in Michigan that has similar prices.... Call around and again....... do your research! You could save THOUSANDS!

I think you are talking about Detroit MI. Beliteweight has info about them

About that...I´ve heard not so possitive things about beliteweight, I just read today on another thread regarding their poor after care and that they are very desorganized and so on, so you might want to look in to that.

i went to dr ortiz in mexico and the experience was great, basically painless, i would very much recommend him to everyone. I have had no problems in the 8 months since surgery

Thanks! Sorry for posting about something that has been played out. I will do a search on Mexico posts =)

Hey no problem.. there has been some AMAZING posts...I'd hate for you to miss something that could help you.

I had mine done with Dr. Rodriguez in Acuna, Mx. His website is joseband.com He speaks english very well and has trained many U.S doctors. I think he even had a fellowship at UTHSC in San Antonio, Tx. The staff at the hospital are very nice and attentive. Very well trained. They don't speak english but they do have a translator. The docs speak english there, just not the nurses. The morning I left I would have thought I was in an american hospital b/c the patients were all speaking english. They were from as far as Alaska, Napa, Kansas, Houston. I was skeptical and now I am so glad I had it done there since I am self pay.

I was also a self payer. I originally was going to go with a Dr. here locally, but then I learned that he was trained by a Mexican dr, so I decided to go to the Mexican dr because he has been doing it alot longer than the US dr & saved me $8000!!!!:clap2:

I will be honest. At first I was scared to DEATH!!!!! I couldn't believe I was going to have surgery in a place that I wouldn't drink the Water or eat anything. Some of the other people that were banded the same day as me were laughing at me because I wouldn't drink ANYTHING that didn't come to Mexico with me when we were at the hotel. The clinic I had my surgery done at was cleaner than any US hospital that I have been to. The nurses were nice & helpful. I have the option to get fills here in the US, but I liked the clinic so much that I will be going back to Mexico for fills.

Do your research & choose a Dr that you are comfortable with. I wish you the best of luck!!!!!!

Dr Zapata in Mexico is great. He has a great record and a great team. The hospital and hotel were both very nice. I had no problems at all. Donna