Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Father's Day from BariatricPal! - June 2017

Happy Father's Day from BariatricPal!

Bariatric Pal - Your friend in Bariatrics
Store Forums Magazine Activity
Happy Memorial Day
Hey BariatricPal Members!

You can get your quality time with Dad if you keep him company while he grills up a healthy dessert in the form of peaches, pineapple, or watermelon. Slice the fruit and grill it plain or with a bit of cinnamon or balsamic vinaigrette. You can put a small amount of goat cheese or another soft cheese on the fruit before serving it.
Guy Bonus: The grill! By letting Dad make dessert, you help him feel useful and in control, and that’s what dads are for, right?
• Your Hearty and Healthy Menu to Say, “Thanks, Dad!”
• Weight Loss Surgery: A Guy Thing or Not?
• Get Motivated with Some Together Time
Use the newsletter as a start for some inspiration and ideas, and keep the journey to health going as you stop by the BariatricPal Forums. Have a wonderful Father’s Day and remember what’s important. Thanks for all of your support!

Sincerely,
Alex Brecher
Founder, BariatricPal

Hearty and Healthy Menu to Say, “Thanks, Dad!”

What does Dad want? If he’s the stereotypical guy, he’s pretty simple when it comes to food. Some comfort food can be the most direct way to letting him know how much you love and appreciate him, but you are not doing him any favors by serving up high-fat, high-carb, high-calorie fare. These great-tasting ideas can help you get a Father’s Day meal on the table fast while keeping your weight loss surgery diet in mind.
In the Center: Steak
A fatty steak can be a diet breaker, but Tender Flank Steak is not. It is a savory and satisfying dish. Preparation only takes minutes; just remember to leave four hours to marinate the meat. Double the recipe, using two pounds of beef, and you will have 8 total servings, each with 26 grams of Protein and less than 1 gram of carbohydrates. c5c43c7a-ab9c-4a34-b338-e70268e658fd.png
Guy Bonus: Leftovers! A big steak can do double or triple duty in the coming days. Leave Dad with some large lettuce leaves (instead of bread) and sliced avocados for steak wraps for tomorrow’s lunch.
On the Side: pureed Cauliflower
If you’re a meat and potatoes guy, you have to have your potatoes…unless you have Mock Mashed Potatoes. You can make it with frozen cauliflower, or try a blend of cauliflower and cooked carrots, parsnips, or turnips. This is another great recipe to double. Serve it with Instant chicken Gravy made Cream of Chicken Protein Soup.
Guy Bonus: Midnight noshing! When Dad has the late-night munchies, he won’t do much damage by finishing up the “mashed potatoes” and gravy.
c5e66522-e2c7-4718-b3ae-2fa6e5e763a4.png
For Dessert: Grilled Fruit
You can get your quality time with Dad if you keep him company while he grills up a healthy dessert in the form of peaches, pineapple, or watermelon. Slice the fruit and grill it plain or with a bit of cinnamon or balsamic vinaigrette. You can put a small amount of goat cheese or another soft cheese on the fruit before serving it.
Guy Bonus: The grill! By letting Dad make dessert, you’re help him feel useful and in control, and that’s what dads are for, right?

Weight Loss Surgery: A Guy Thing or Not?

If you are a weight loss surgery patient or you have been looking into weight loss surgery, you may have noticed something: there seem to be a lot of women! It is not your imagination. About 80 percent, or four out of every five, WLS patients are women.
Why the Difference?
Why are men so much less likely to get WLS? It is not because men are skinnier; obesity rates are almost the same between men and women. Reasons for the WLS gap may include:
• Differences in perception of health, as women may recognize health risks earlier than men.
• Cultural factors, as women tend to feel more pressure to lose weight than men.
• Perception of need, as men may be more likely to feel that they can do it without surgery than women.
More than women, men may feel that WLS is the easy way out, or they may be embarrassed at the rapid weight loss that their acquaintances may notice. They may also feel more out of place ordering WLS friendly fare at restaurants or eating “diet foods” in public.
Should You Break the Trend?
Male or female, the same factors should determine whether WLS is for you.
• Have you tried multiple diet and exercise programs?
• Do your BMI and health status make you a good candidate?
• Are you ready to commit to a lifetime of healthier choices?
If your WLS goes well and you embrace the changes, you can expect the benefits that can make life better. You can lose weight and get back your energy. Better yet, you can spend more time with your kids now and in the future.

Get Motivated with Some Together Time

At the end of the day what matters are the people you love. For Father’s Day, whether or not you are with your dad, honor the ones you love while you promote healthy behaviors together.
Cook Up a Storm
Dad may not truly dislike cooking. He may just not know how to cook, especially when it comes to WLS friendly foods. Whether it is father or grown-up child who is the WLS patient, both of you can benefit from preparing some high-protein, low-carb quick fixes as you spend quality time together.
• Layer yogurt with Protein Cereal and berries to make an elegant Breakfast parfait.
• Transform an infamous doughnut burger from a heart attack on a plate into a weight loss special by swapping Protein Pancakes for the doughnut and turkey burger for ground beef.
• Toss Protein Pasta with Low-Carb Sauce and spinach or cooked broccoli or other vegetables.
c4927ea7-a64a-4b2c-b6ba-6065b15866be.png e0e47b9f-d2d0-465f-8ea8-06a049a74cf5.png
Get Active Now and Forever
One reason to get WLS is to be able to keep up with the family. To keep up the motivation, try scheduling a family hike or other activity, such as a trip to the beach. Notice how good it feels when you spend the time being active together – or think about how good it would feel if you could all keep up together. It’s a good time to remind each other why the hard work is worth it.

Whether you are a dad, a future dad, or a product of a great dad or father figure, we want to wish you a Happy Father’s Day! We hope this newsletter got you a little more inspired to be healthy for yourself and for your family, and we look forward to spending some time with you on the boards when you get a chance!

Insure Nutrition
Stop paying for nutritional supplements! Check your insurance eligibility now!

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, please click *|unsubscribe|* or to unsubscribe from ALL BariatricPal E-Mail Click Here.