Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Christian bandsters

Hi gang,

I am new to the group and a Christian in Ohio. Need some support if I may?

I have been banded, since April, got my first fill end of May. Since I've been reading, it appears that I spent a lot of time in Bandster Heck not feeling any restriction, even after the fill. To date, I have lost about 25 lbs. since the 7th of April. I have been good about not drinking when eating and following the 15 mins before and the 30 mins after rule to wait for any sort of beverage. Have had no issues, other than I think I should be loosing more weight. Working on the exercise thing...

However, today, I had a new experience. I am on a business trip, and of course, there is always a "walking" vendor/food dinner reception. I took the plate that was offered to me and began my tour of vendors (and, please don't comment on the type of food I ate, we can deal with that later :thumbs_up:. On my plate was a small oat/wheat roll with sliced BBQ, to which I added a bit of BBQ Sauce (picture the size of a raquetball for diameter), also had a spoonful of polenta, and three strawberries. All seemed to be going fine. Finished my plate after several walk arounds of the vendors. Then I spotted some sweet potatoes, mashed to the point of almost liquid. The chef handed me a small cup to which I sprinkled a bit of bacon. I took one bite and knew in an instant it was wrong. Ended up in the ladies room, and did what I guess was a PB -- first time. Bad feeling -- was sweating, and felt shaky. Only thing that came up was that bite of sweet potatoes and bacon.

Is it possible that my band has finally settled and there is real restriction, or did I just blow it with the actual food choices?

Hello Elaine

You sound just like I did before the surgery. I belong to a Christian support group called (Celebrate Recovery) its for all kinds of addicts including food addition. I follow a 12 step program with God as my higher power and have a sponcer. I have spoken to all my christian friends and have come to relize this is a tool to give me a heathier life and longer life for my family. Its modern medicine and feel God loves me and so be it his will. I was banded on 5/30/08 and it has been difficult but worth it and have been supported by my Christian friends the most. If you you need anything just holler. I am praying for you.

Proud Christian Bandster

Mamareid- They have that program at my Church here in CA too. I had heard of it but I didn't think of using it for food addictions. That is good to know I might have to check it out.

Hello Everyone,

I am so excited after several weeks of not feeling any restrictions. I called my nutritionist (I TOOK THE MASK OFF) and told her I needed help. I wrote down what I was eating or eating me for a few days. She reviewed and got right back to me made a few changes in my diet and today I can say I finally feel restriction for the first time in four weeks. I changed my doctor's appointment for two weeks from today and feel like a new person. The truth shall set you free! Also just being honest with yourself and others how you are feeling about the progress or NO PROGRESS in eating. I am so excited on the new way of eating and restrictions I am feeling!

I am curious about what she tweeeked on your food too! Maybe that is what I need to do as well?

Hi, everybody! I am a wee bit discouraged today. Tomorrow I am 1 week post op. Yesterday I had to go to a 6 hr class for continuing education, and that ended up being a really uncomfortable experience. I also ran some errands, which I didn't really see as a big deal, but from the way I felt when I got home, I really felt like I had overdone it. I was supposed to start back to work tomorrow, but I'm gonna go ahead and take off til Monday. I just felt like as far as my healing goes, I took a couple of steps back. So, I have pretty much stayed down today, besides having to taxi my kids. I know I need to ease in to more walking...which I had been fine with until yesterday. Also, last night I had some bleeding from a bandaged area, so was afraid I had ??pulled something?? It stopped, so I didn't call the Dr.

Also, the only thing I have been consuming is like malt o meal(thinned), broth, and carnation instant Breakfast, and of course Water and crystal light. But I'm so sick of that stuff, it's like I'd rather not have anything. Any different "food" ideas I haven't thought of?

I feel like I'm being a big 'ole baby, and that is soooo not like me!

Thanks in advance for your prayers and comments! God Bless You ALL!

LEVI - that sounds like almost the same exact PB experience I had recently at my sisters wedding. Fortunately I didn't have anything come up but the sweating and slight shaking and the feeling that I should bolt to the nearest restroom - it passed after a bit. When I went in yesterday for my first fill - the doctor told me he had put 2 cc's in my band at time of surgery - so it sounds like you too are on your way!! 8-)

I am still less than 30 days post op and feeling SOOOOOOO wonderful!!

I am still on pureed food. My doc is very conservative, 'cannot have real food until mid July. But I started swimming laps again this week and boy does the exercise help get the metabolism going, for sure!! I am on much less insulin but still take 2 units with meals, instead of 9. My Lantes at night had dropped from 40 to 15!! AND I have gone from 312 lbs to 275.5 lbs in weight!

(Gotta learn to fix that ticker!!) Thanks for all of the support and prayers, hang in there Bandsters. This Lap Band works very well, if you work with it.

No cheating and pretending anymore. PTL Christy :lol:

Hi Yall!

Found this website looking for some info on being banded. Any thoughts?

I am 29 years old with a wonderful husband and a 7 month old daughter who I am afraid I'll never see grow up. I have severe diabetes and am super obese. Have done yo-yo diets for the last 10 years at least, and and looking for a permanent answer.

Don't want to spend the rest of my life on injections (diabetes). While I was pregnant I was taking 4 shots a day on insulin. Don't ever want to do that again. Please some on inform me of all what goes on with the banding!!!

Desperate to lose!

Amanda

God Bles

I am still less than 30 days post op and feeling SOOOOOOO wonderful!!

I am still on pureed food. My doc is very conservative, 'cannot have real food until mid July. But I started swimming laps again this week and boy does the exercise help get the metabolism going, for sure!! I am on much less insulin but still take 2 units with meals, instead of 9. My Lantes at night had dropped from 40 to 15!! AND I have gone from 312 lbs to 275.5 lbs in weight!

(Gotta learn to fix that ticker!!) Thanks for all of the support and prayers, hang in there Bandsters. This Lap Band works very well, if you work with it.

No cheating and pretending anymore. PTL Christy :smile:

Wow!! You've made impressive progress!

Those tickers are a real encourager for us.

It's easy to update.

Go back to the ticker site & click on update/edit.

You have to put in your password.

Then go down to your stats and update them...

todays' date and your current weight.

When you're finished scroll down to the bottom

& click on next.

Then you should see your updated ticker

and it will automatically update it anywhere you've posted it...

on this site, and I have mine on

MySpace and on my Google home page.

It updates on all of them without doing anything else.

Summer... have you tried V8 juice? I kinda liked that during that phase. I got the low sodium kind and then just added a little seasoned salt. I also tried a bunch of different Soups and just picked out the lumps (cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, etc.). It was nice to have something that was salty and savory. The sweet got old! Just make sure you are getting your Protein in, otherwise your body will let you know! Others have used Isopure and said it's good. I have just used Sam's Club Protein mix with soy milk. It's okay, but not great!

Christy.... I am so excited for you!! Both on the drop in weight and that you get to go swimming!!! Yippee!!:smile:

Bandgeek... there is so much to know about being banded!! I would start at the pre-surgery section of this forum and look at anything that catches your eye or that you have questions about. Then maybe read some post-surgery threads to see what folks are going through after the banding. There is some great information out there!

Thanks Phyllster.....love your new photo!! :)

Yes, Bandgeek...I learned so much here by lurking around for weeks, then took the plunge and am so glad I did. Just do exactly what your doctor tells you and get some ideas from these posts. I still am on four shots of insulin a day, but the dosage is when down and I just know I will give it up someday !! Good luck, we'll be praying for you! Christy

Edited by ChristyC

I was just banded on June 6th. I am 55 and have lived a lifetime of fighting the losing battle of trying to lose and maintain my weight. At 45 I developed Type 2 Diabetes. One more time struggling to get weight off for it to only keep adding on. Finally a year ago, I decided to do research on Lap Band surgery and here I am. One week Post-op and 13 pounds down. I wish at your age I could have done something like this. I so go for it and don't listen to what others have to say about it. I went straight to WLS surgeon and did not discuss it with my endocrinologist or my PCP. I just went for it.

You'll be in my prayers, good luck and take care of yourself now, don't wait until you're 55.

Thanks Diamond for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about V8 juice...I may give that a try! Just out of curiosity...you said if I wasn't getting enough Protein my body would let me know. I've heard about losing hair, and I think nails getting weak...but are you talking about something else?

I am feeling much better. I start back to work tomorrow. I have a desk job...for the most part, so it shouldn't be too bad. My "bleeding" started again yesterday. It is more like a leaking from my largest wound, like clear/red. My husband is a nurse and he didn't think it looked right, so we called to have the surgeon paged. Well, of course another surgeon was on call for him, but he's concerned about infection, so he called in antibiotics for me to take. I have my 1st follow up Wed. My main concern is that my largest incision doesn't look good. I know the antibiotics will fix it, but I'm worried that it may heal uglier.

I want to congratulate all the new bandsters, and soon to be banded. I know how exciting it is! Also, congratulations to you who are doing so well with your loss.

God Bless You All! Have a great week!

NEVER - You have still done really well! I am off to the Big Island of Hawaii on Thursday and am going to try to do my best to stay on plan. I am taking my tennis shoes and IPOD so I won't have an excuse not to hit the treadmill everyday!! Pray for me!! 8-)

Numbr, I will pray for you to have a safe trip and I know God will keep you on plan. You're doing so great already!! Focus on God's beauty of the land and the breeze when you start to feel hungry. And remember, when you do eat, concentrate on the foods high in protein!! Have a blessed vacation!