Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Christian bandsters

If there are any Christians out there who are looking for special support during this time I thought we could start a thread related to this. It might help with those thoughts and doubts as to if this is the right thing we are doing or any other 'shares' that might come to mind. I could use some at this time in my walk.

Sister in Christ,

Valerie

post-223646-1381313558815_thumb.png

Hi Valiere I am Paul I have been wandering about something like this . I am a christian . I have not really had any doubt that this was the right thing to do because of the way things went for me . I put this whole journey in the hands of the lord and I truely believe he helped me get it . But like life its self I have to make it work . I will support a thread lke this. Paul

Hey All...

I am a Christian and would love to join this thread. I am being banded next Weds, Oct 31.

I am nervous and would appreciate any of your thoughts on doing this, from a Christian perspective. Obvioulsy, the Bible doesn't say anything about Lap-Band Surgery!!!

Any thoughts, encouragement from a biblical perspective?

Thanks and God bless you.

Ginny

being banded 10/31

34 BMI

220, 5'8"

Hoping to say goodbye to 25 years of YO YOing!!!!

Hi there brothers and sisters, I have struggled with the same questions regarding the lap band surgery. I have gone through all the same things in stuggling with the question of would God approve of lapband and would that not be trusting in Him.

If we had some deformity that could be corrected by surgery would we question it? Probably not. So I am thanking God that He has given doctors the wisdom to be able to help us.

Thank you so much Laurend for that link!

In Him,

Alfie

Please recall the joke:

A man was in a flood sitting on the roof of his house. Along came a boat and a helicopter. To both he said, "go away, the Lord will save me". So the man drowns and he's in heaven and he asks the Lord why He didn't save him. And the Lord says, "I sent you a boat and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

So, I looked at the surgery this way. It's a tool that the Lord has provided for me. It's up to me to use or to not use it. I'm 12 days in and I don't feel guilty in the least.

Meanwhile, in hospital, I was banded the same day as another in my group who was recovering next door. His mother came to see me. Thelma is her name and all she talked about was what a gift the Lord has given. Both I and her son, Philip, were doing extremely well (I asked the doc). When she found out I was Christian, she felt free in saying that I had angels all around me, watching me and taking care of me.

Both Philip and I are 300+, had zero pain in recovery, and surrounded by angels.

Deu 25:15 [but] you shall have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure shall you have: that your days may be lengthened in the land which the LORD your God gives thee.

Who is to say what tool the Lord will give for you to use? If I needed heart surgery, I don't go to bed and pray for a healing and then die. I would pray the Great Physician lead my to the right physician and guide his hands.

So what happens when you have friends who say that you aren't trusting in the Lord? or you are bypassing the Lord and losing the weight under your own strength?

Well these are either skinny people who don't know what it's like to be obese or morbidly obese; or large people who are drinking too much milk instead of eating the meat of the word and are being held hostage by what they don't understand.

If any Christian goes to a dentist to have a cavity fixed, are they're hypocrites if they are the same who keep lapbanding from you for you to repair your cavity?

Hello Brothers and Sisters,

I think God is just fine with us having the surg. Most of us have health problems and it would be crazy to not get the help. I am sure like me you tried everything to get the wght off. I had my surg last may and have lost nearly 50lbs. Now that I am off the blood pressure meds...I am starting to feel more like my old self and am reading my bible again (the meds made it hard for me to concentrate). I am growing closer to God.

I think most of us question if it is o.k. to have the surg. I did too, but I know I made the right dicission

Blessings, Weazer

Anyone remember when Joyce Meyer got her facelift?

She said and I heard it on TV, when she was on stage, "If you're teeth were crooked, you'd get braces wouldn't you?"

So why would plastic surgery be a God no-no?

Same with WLS... and WLS isn't for cosmetic reasons, it's for life reasons. The fact that we may feel a little more sexier and confident as an end result is not against God nor does it supply an avenue to sin.

So when I reach my weight goal I intend to have Plastic Surgery to tuck and lift the extra skin. I also intend to have a face lift someday, purely because I want to smooth out the wrinkles when they become unbearable to me. It's just a confidence tool.

(I just did a mini-study. Beware of the word vanity in the Bible.... it doesn't mean the modern translation in almost all of the OT and NT usages; and the word is context specific.).

Amen to all of the above!!

I prayed about my surgery before hand. I needed to lose this weight and I've been heavy since I was 21 and it got much worse after my first child at 23.

My pastor was all for it as well as everyone in my family. (Even Grandma which really surprised me).

I read the book a few years ago called The Living Vine. It talked about being pruned to get junk out of our way that was interfering with our Christian lives. It wasn't sin, just not beneficial to us. The pruning felt just like conviction but there was no sin. I used to spend HOURS on the computer playing games and that was the first thing God pruned me of.

I consider the lap-band God's way of pruning food out of my life. It will no longer control me or have power over me.

Hugs & Prayers to everyone!

Geneva :biggrin1:

Good to read all your posts. Hope this thread stays more active than the other one!

My name is Amy, and I am being banded on Wednesday. As a nurse, I see people struggle with all sorts of physical ailments. Obesity is one of the main ones, because it perdisposes us to so many other health problems. I PRAISE GOD FOR GIVING US THIS TOOL. I am so glad to find a Christian thread. I feel very much at peace with my surgery. I look forward to us watching each others progress together.

I am so happy that this thread was started. This was the one thing standing in the way of my having surgery. I was wrestling with the whole thing of would God approve. I had already made my decision to go forward but it really helps to get a take from other Christians. Thanks,

In Him.

Alfie

My name is Amy, and I am being banded on Wednesday. As a nurse, I see people struggle with all sorts of physical ailments. Obesity is one of the main ones, because it perdisposes us to so many other health problems. I PRAISE GOD FOR GIVING US THIS TOOL. I am so glad to find a Christian thread. I feel very much at peace with my surgery. I look forward to us watching each others progress together.

Hi, Amy,

I'm a nurse, too. I had my surgery 7/20/07 and things are going quite well. I've had two fills and have an appointment for another one next week.

We'll all be keeping you in our prayers this week as you have your surgery.