Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Christian bandsters

Coltorismom - I don't know anyone who has a band that regrets it. I remember when I asked my doctor about having a hysterectomy and she said she had never been asked to put one back in after the fact. It's kind of the same thing with the band. I think most of us wish we had done it a lot sooner. I think the hardest thing to get past is us thinking we can still do this on our own, that a band is a cop out or something. The truth is that you will eventually hit a place with your band that you have to exercise and eat right also but their is a peace of mind that comes with the idea that I have to try pretty hard to out eat my band. When I am weak, my band is strong and won't allow me to get very out of control. My band is the will power I never had in this area of my life. Now I am focusing on using my will power to get up every morning and go to the YMCA or walk with my workout partner. I highly recommend getting a friend to work out with you. It helps to get up and get going if you know someone is waiting for you.

I know we think in are heads that we should of been able to do this with the Lords help and somehow it feels like we are letting God down from lack of faith to opt for a band. But I don't feel like that any more. God gave us a brain and the judgement to know when we need to go to the doctor and when we can self medicate. God gave surgeons the brains to do this operation and someone the brains to come up with the idea of the lapband. I don't see anywhere in the Bible that it says we shouldn't use the tools that God gives us to do good works for Him. I think he says just the opposite. I think my weight was getting in the way of God in my life because I was focusing on it so much. Now it is becoming a non-issue and I can't hide behind it anymore. Faith is putting your beliefs into action . . .I took a step of faith by getting a band because I believed it would help me with my food addiction and my Portion Control. It is my belief in the band that has helped me to have the faith I need to talk to other people about their weight issues open and honestly. It comes full circle . . this belief and faith thing. Blessings to you and many prayers for you.

Hi Everyone!:)

Well, like a lot of things in life, things have taken more time. It wasn't two short days!! I wasn't put on the list of people to review for surgery on 2/20. So I don't have a surgery date yet. When I called on Monday before the Wed. meeting, they said that they had made the list earlier the week before and that my psych eval hadn't come in until Friday. I asked if I could still be included, as they had my paperwork and a couple of days, but no go. They seem to be super swamped, but I found out more about it. The hospital that I'm working with used to have 3 surgeons and is now down to 1. I also learned that I need to meet individually with the surgeon prior to my surgery and he is booked up to April right now. When I met with the RN in December she said that the surgeon would meet with us as a group of about 4 or 5, but they've changed that. I guess that's probably better, but it does take a lot longer. I feel disappointed BUT I trust God's timing. Luckily feelings come and go. I also know to knock on doors..... so I called the other local hospital (that hired one of the surgeon's away!) but they said I'd have to start over, with a six month supervised diet. I'm not wild about that! So, I think I'll just stick with SMDC (St. Mary's Duluth Clinic). I'm now on the list to be reviewed on 3/5 and then they will send me a letter saying if I'm approved and hopefully have a scheduled appointment with the surgeon. I was really hoping I'd be banded mid-Feb to late-March. Now it's kinda anyone's guess! Thanks for all the prayers about this. It feels similar to buying a house.... all the appointments and the paperwork and the waiting. But it eventually seems to work out.

The other good thing (besides it eventually working out) is that my weight isn't going up. I'm doing pretty well at using my elliptical trainer most days (after a horrible bout with a sinus infections where I couldn't do anything!!). At first with the delay of surgery I was worried about losing too much weight to qualify for my insurance. (My insurance paperwork -- Medica -- says that it goes by the weight one month prior to surgery.) But I have sleep apnea, so that lowers my BMI needed to qualify, so I'm still in the range. It's so bizarre that I have think about weighing too little!!!!!!

Another really cool thing that happened this past week was that I met someone from LapBandTalk.... the Minnesota thread... for lunch. She told me all about her experience -- even how the nurses in the hospital are so great! It was really helpful. It was good to just see how she can eat... slowly and small, but still eating!! She says it's the best thing she's ever done. And I think I will be feeling the same way, once I settle in with having the band. I agree with what someone else wrote just recently and that this is a tool that God has for us. It may not be for everyone, but it seems to be a great fit with my situation. I have struggled so long with taking care of my body and having my body be a temple. (I would like it to be!) It's been a hard concept for me to even get my head around, because it just hasn't been my experience much as I would like it to be. And I think with the band, I can continue to make a temple for God to dwell in. Well, I think that's enough for today. I wish you all a bunch of blessings!!

Diamond :)

"Something good is going to happen to me today" Joyce Meyers

Good afternoon my sisters and brothers in Christ,

It is so wonderful to see all the newbies that has joined our group.

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!

God is so wonderful and I am thankful for his mercy and his grace. The lapband has been a blessing for me and I know that you all feel the same way. I will be praying for those that are scheduled for surgery and for those that are waiting for approval.

Stay focused and be blessed.

Hi Valerie,

Like you, I am a Christian and love Jesus. This was a hard

decision to make but I feel God's prescence every step of the

way.

I had know Self Control with food and got so so heavy I was

embrassed to go to Church.

I have HOPE in Christ that we will make it, we need to keep

each other lifted up in prayer and know that Christ walks with

us all the time.

Susie Q 1964

Oh my goodness! Look at all the new people who have signed onto this thread! How wonderful is the Lord, leading us all here together to support each other in such an important journey! I'm so glad to have so many new friends.

Wenjea, you made a comment on the last page of this thread about the weight coming off slowly now (just like it went on). I looked at your ticker and I must say I think it is pretty impressive that you have lost over 70 pounds since last May! That is only 9 months time! Incredible! :)

To all the new people who are praying about the decision to be banded or not. Only you and God can make the determination about whether or not this is the right path for you. You are doing the best thing you possible can by praying. Remember to be patient and especially remember to listen. God will answer your prayers, but sometimes we don't tune in to his answers.

For me, I know it is the right thing. The Lord opened doors for me at the right times. Now, I'm just waiting for my surgery date, March 17. I'm also well aware that for me, this is definitely just a tool. I will need to work hard to change my attitude toward food. I will need to learn NOT to turn to food for emotional reasons or when bored. I' thinking these tempting times will be good times to strengthen my conversations with the Lord. Rather than turn to food, I can turn to prayer and let Him distract me away from wanting food when I am not hungry. I see the band helping me when I am hungry and God helping me when I am not physically hungry.

Have a great evening to everyone.

Hello

I am new to the website and will be banded next month. I started the process a few months ago and I am looking forward to my new life change. I wanted to know if you felt that other christians didn't understand why you chose this method to lose weight and not trust God to lose it without the assistance.

I got a few people at church who had a few questions, but mostly, EVERYONE was encouraging and supportive. My pastor even calls me sister skinny now, (even though I'm nowhere NEAR skinny yet!). No one from church has been negative.

Diamond, I'm with you. I threw the rest of the cake away yesterday. LOL

Sisterc, Not many people know at my church, they seem to think either I'm sick or I'm losing from exercising. One lady did ask what I was doing and asked, "Did you get a lapband?" Her sister in law had gotten one and I did tell her yes, but many people didn't know. Now everytime I go to church, they just watch me. I decided not to tell a lot of people cause I don't want the ??'s asked "how much have you lost?, you don't eat much, you are juust going to fade away." I am hard enough on myself so I don't need to be under a microscope. I told a few on my job, but I tend to keep to myself once I make my appearance at the school in the morning and check my mailbox, so they don't see me on a regular basic unless we have a mtg.

I am thankful today, that I threw the cake away and ALL the Snacks are gone. LOL

Stay focused and be blessed

I haven't told many people yet. My immediate family knows, except for my two youngest children (13 and 11). I plan to tell them as my banding date gets closer. My best friend knows, and 4 coworkers, one of whom happens to be my pastor's wife. So far, everyone has been supportive, or at least said nothing. I plan to tell more people as time gets closer, or even better yet after my banding. In the beginning, I didn't want people's comments and questions to cloud my decision making process. I felt it was between the Lord, me and my husband. Now that my decision is made and I'm set on my path, I plan to tell more people, but I'm thinking not too many until after my banding. I just don't want people telling me I'm crazy and giving me doubts. Once it's already done, I think most people will be more careful about what they say. For me, that seems to be best. I am encouraged by the reactions of those who know far. :)

glad to hear both of your stories.. thank God for this christian forum..i had the band in july 07 and have lost 70 lbs. i have 50 more to go...it has totally changed my life..i praise God for it all... i too felt weird after the fills and very tight.. could feel the Water slowly going down my throat...and pain if i ate too fast..and my fills have not always been painless either.. but now i always go for the floro fills... no more blind fills...its better with the floroscope in the pain clinic center... hang in there all my christian friends , sometimes u will get at a standstill mode but it will eventually start losing again.. just eat right and walk...and drink much water... love yall...vamaillady... Brenda

:biggrin2:Well, I am still waiting for my surgery pre-op stuff to get done. I had to reschedule my sleep study appt. today, for May 7th. :biggrin: I had forgot that I scheduled myself to work today, thinking that my appt. was tomorrow. OOPS. Now I have to wait longer, but I think I am SO ready to have this done! Please continue to pray for my family and I. I, too, have an autistic son, that I need to be able to take care of, I'm praying to God that He will help me through this.

May we all have a blessed day with Jesus!!!!!!!:smile2:

How old is your son? I just read an article online last week about a breakthrough with a girl who is autistic but able to communicate through a computer. It was very interesting and an insight as to how the children feel. Did you see it?

Hey brothers & sisters!

Glad to know DIAMOND that you are a Joyce Meyer fan. YOU ROCK!! I met Joyce at a book signing 3 years ago. She is SO awesome. Much of my spiritual growth I can attribute to her POWERFUL teaching. As I heard a little boy say, "My PEDIASURE makes me grow!!" Joyce is my Pediasure!!!

I have an appointment at the bariatric center for an evaluation tomorrow (thurs) morning. Be much in prayer!! I am excited/nervous!! May the Lord's will be done!!!

In response to my bro or sis who asked the AUTISM question. My son is 11 & my daughter is 7. And yes, I did see that on CNN. Did you see the Lifetime movie a few years ago (Melissa Gilbert, Patty Duke) about the autistic boy who communicated on a computer & ratted out his sexual abuser. Praise the LORD! Go buy more KLEENEX-- I BOOOOOOO-HOOOOOD!!!

1 PETER 5:8 TAME THAT LION!!!!

(YOU'VE SEEN THE LAP-BAND COMMERCIAL, RIGHT. I thought, how appropriate to use a LION in the commercial!!

I'm not where I need to be, BUT thank GOD I'm not where I used to be!! Praise God!! (a little joyce meyer imput).

smiles & hugs

coltorismom