Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved at Florence Direct Care- An Honest Review

I was sleeved on June 1st at florence Direct Care in Tijuana Mexico and it was not a good experience. My doctor was Dr. Carmelo and he had good reviews from the research that I looked up. His medical staff assisted with providing me the information as far as what the surgery would detail, pre and post-op information, and time frame that I would be down there for surgery and after. The surgery cost itself was only $3,800 and I had to pay a $250 deposit which is counted in the cost. Sounds great right? Well, not everything that sounds good is good.

When I arrived at the airport I was quickly picked up by the driver and wisked to the border to be taken to the hospital. Upon crossing the border I went from feeling I was in the year 2017 to the year 1950. The areas and buildings leading to and surrounding the hospital were delpitated, run down, and trashy. The hospital itself was just as bad, the rooms were semi-clean, the hospital bed was old and creaky, and sounded like it was going to explode everytime I adjusted. The bed for my friend that traveled with me was in better condition. This was supposedly the "new bariatric wing" that was built last year. Nothing about the room or the objects in it were new.

I was given a gown and taken away for "testing" that consisted of an EKG, an X-ray, and blood test, nothing more. I did not speak with a nutritionist, psychologist, or anyone else.

An hour after my surgery was supposed to be, my surgeon came in, I was able to ask a few questions then I was taken to another floor to be prepped and proceed with the surgery.

So, moving on to after surgery, I woke up feeling groggy as expected and with no one to explain to me how well the surgery went. There was a nurse that was there periodically glancing at me, who did not speak English, and I basically did not find out how the surgery went until I got back in the room and my friend advised me what they told her. The doctor popped in probably three to four hours later to let me know and to ask if I seen the picture of my stomach that he showed my friend. Now just to advise you, after recovery you not be hooked up to a blood pressure monitor, you will not be hooked up to a heart monitor, and the IV system that they use is not automatic. They use a vein finder to try to find veins in your arms and hands and still managed to blow out two of my veins in the time that I was there for aftercare to a point that my IV had to be removed my last nighy in the hospital and I took the risk of becoming dehydrated because I was not able to sip enough fluids.

In regards to the recovery, the nursing staff was absolutely terrible and only two out of the probably 10 to 15 people that kept coming in my room actually spoke English. When you had requests very simple ones such as, "Can I have a wash cloth for the bathroom", you will be advised they don't have any available. If you requested pain medicine that wasn't in a syringe you weren't guaranteed to actually get it. Also when they come to give you the medicine and antibiotics, the syringes they come with a tray that was lined up with numerous syringes and after they use they put them back on the tray. You have no idea whether or not they were actually disposing of the needles or actually just reusing them again. The reason I question whether or not they were reusing them because they had a habit of reusing other things for example the bowl that you're supposed to have to be able to vomit I misplaced mine and when I asked for another one they brought me one that was dirty that had either some dried blood or something in the bottom of it. And as far as attending to your care, there is none, the nurses did not help me out the bed, to the bathroom, or anything else that's in a nurses job description. They will actually sit and watch while your companion helps you, if you ask for assistance 9 times out of 10, they'll claim they don't understand.

(Side note: don't allow your companion to purchase bottles of soda that they don't​ see being open because they reuse these also in the cafes, your better off buying cans.)

The very last day of my stay in the hospital, one of the nurses pissed me off to the point I started calling hotels to go to verses staying in that torture chamber any longer. Remember I said they had blown two IVs in both of my hands previously, so at this time I had been all night without any fluids being administered to me nor was anyone really coming in to check to see if I needed anything. This also meant I had been all night without pain medication as well. When I asked the nurse that morning for pain medicine, she had the audacity to say, "it's not candy you know" and chuckle as if was I was a drug seeker. This was reported to the doctor on duty, Dr. Reyas, the medical director, patient coordinator, and head nurse. They claimed the nurse would be reprimanded and my friend requested for the duration of my stay for that nurse to not care for me. They apologized and agreed and this turned into be not receiving any further care at all. So from 8 am that morning until I left for the hotel close to 3 pm....not one nurse checked on me...not one. Also my friend later requested pain meds before we left for the hotel and they sent that same nurse in who had insulted me earlier. And no, she wasn't the only nurse available because like I said they have 10 to 15 people who pretend to be nurses that are on the unit pretty much all day and night.

Long story short, I believe Dr. Carmelo did a good job, at least the copy of my x-rays showing my sleeve look like it, of course I won't be able to verify that for awhile down the road. I recommend going elsewhere if your considering getting bariatric surgery in Tijuana. Hopefully somewhere where the facilities are clean and up to date and​ the nurses are actually nurses who care.

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow..so sorry this was your experience

Thank you for sharing your story. Hope you have a quick and uncomplicated recovery!

I'm very sorry you had such a bad experience. It is good that you posted about it so others can be aware.

I was sleeved on June 1st at florence Direct Care in Tijuana Mexico and it was not a good experience. My doctor was Dr. Carmelo and he had good reviews from the research that I looked up. His medical staff assisted with providing me the information as far as what the surgery would detail, pre and post-op information, and time frame that I would be down there for surgery and after. The surgery cost itself was only $3,800 and I had to pay a $250 deposit which is counted in the cost. Sounds great right? Well, not everything that sounds good is good.
When I arrived at the airport I was quickly picked up by the driver and wisked to the border to be taken to the hospital. Upon crossing the border I went from feeling I was in the year 2017 to the year 1950. The areas and buildings leading to and surrounding the hospital were delpitated, run down, and trashy. The hospital itself was just as bad, the rooms were semi-clean, the hospital bed was old and creaky, and sounded like it was going to explode everytime I adjusted. The bed for my friend that traveled with me was in better condition. This was supposedly the "new bariatric wing" that was built last year. Nothing about the room or the objects in it were new.
I was given a gown and taken away for "testing" that consisted of an EKG, an X-ray, and blood test, nothing more. I did not speak with a nutritionist, psychologist, or anyone else.
An hour after my surgery was supposed to be, my surgeon came in, I was able to ask a few questions then I was taken to another floor to be prepped and proceed with the surgery.
So, moving on to after surgery, I woke up feeling groggy as expected and with no one to explain to me how well the surgery went. There was a nurse that was there periodically glancing at me, who did not speak English, and I basically did not find out how the surgery went until I got back in the room and my friend advised me what they told her. The doctor popped in probably three to four hours later to let me know and to ask if I seen the picture of my stomach that he showed my friend. Now just to advise you, after recovery you not be hooked up to a blood pressure monitor, you will not be hooked up to a heart monitor, and the IV system that they use is not automatic. They use a vein finder to try to find veins in your arms and hands and still managed to blow out two of my veins in the time that I was there for aftercare to a point that my IV had to be removed my last nighy in the hospital and I took the risk of becoming dehydrated because I was not able to sip enough fluids.
In regards to the recovery, the nursing staff was absolutely terrible and only two out of the probably 10 to 15 people that kept coming in my room actually spoke English. When you had requests very simple ones such as, "Can I have a wash cloth for the bathroom", you will be advised they don't have any available. If you requested pain medicine that wasn't in a syringe you weren't guaranteed to actually get it. Also when they come to give you the medicine and antibiotics, the syringes they come with a tray that was lined up with numerous syringes and after they use they put them back on the tray. You have no idea whether or not they were actually disposing of the needles or actually just reusing them again. The reason I question whether or not they were reusing them because they had a habit of reusing other things for example the bowl that you're supposed to have to be able to vomit I misplaced mine and when I asked for another one they brought me one that was dirty that had either some dried blood or something in the bottom of it. And as far as attending to your care, there is none, the nurses did not help me out the bed, to the bathroom, or anything else that's in a nurses job description. They will actually sit and watch while your companion helps you, if you ask for assistance 9 times out of 10, they'll claim they don't understand.
(Side note: don't allow your companion to purchase bottles of soda that they don't​ see being open because they reuse these also in the cafes, your better off buying cans.)
The very last day of my stay in the hospital, one of the nurses pissed me off to the point I started calling hotels to go to verses staying in that torture chamber any longer. Remember I said they had blown two IVs in both of my hands previously, so at this time I had been all night without any fluids being administered to me nor was anyone really coming in to check to see if I needed anything. This also meant I had been all night without pain medication as well. When I asked the nurse that morning for pain medicine, she had the audacity to say, "it's not candy you know" and chuckle as if was I was a drug seeker. This was reported to the doctor on duty, Dr. Reyas, the medical director, patient coordinator, and head nurse. They claimed the nurse would be reprimanded and my friend requested for the duration of my stay for that nurse to not care for me. They apologized and agreed and this turned into be not receiving any further care at all. So from 8 am that morning until I left for the hotel close to 3 pm....not one nurse checked on me...not one. Also my friend later requested pain meds before we left for the hotel and they sent that same nurse in who had insulted me earlier. And no, she wasn't the only nurse available because like I said they have 10 to 15 people who pretend to be nurses that are on the unit pretty much all day and night.
Long story short, I believe Dr. Carmelo did a good job, at least the copy of my x-rays showing my sleeve look like it, of course I won't be able to verify that for awhile down the road. I recommend going elsewhere if your considering getting bariatric surgery in Tijuana. Hopefully somewhere where the facilities are clean and up to date and​ the nurses are actually nurses who care.
Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow. I am glad you are sharing this because people need honest reviews. I went with Dr. Garcia in Tijuana and my experience at CER Hospital sounds almost opposite! I hope you recover well and reach your goals. Again, thank you for sharing. I think that it is important.

HW 420
SW 347
CW 300
Sleeved April 10, 2017