Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Path to a Healthier Me

Hi everyone,

My name is Emi, and I'm a 28 year old living (but not from) in New York State (not city). I have been so big for so long that I can't remember being thin or even having a remotely flat tummy. When I was about 12, my family and I moved to England, where life was less stressful, the food was of a better quality and well, life was better even if I didn't realize it. At first, I didn't want to move but after my first trip to Italy, I forgot all my issues about being so far from home (I'm originally from Georgia).

My weight bounced up and down for a while, it decreased every time I went to Italy no matter how long I was there because of the amount of walking you do and because of the higher quality foods they have. Eventually at the age of 19, I moved to Italy alone to learn the language and attend college.

In 2010, my family was told they would be sent back to the USA and I decided to follow them so I wouldn't be alone and so far away. Unfortunately (and yes I truly mean unfortunately) we were sent to Oklahoma. And well, the available foods are lacking and almost always bad for you. I worked night shifts and didn't have enough energy to make my own meals so of course I resulted to the American habits of eating out several times a week. Not realizing that I wad getting even bigger than I already was....

In 2012, my family moved to Buffalo, New York. Thankfully up here New Yorkers actually eat somewhat healthier. We have a wide choice of vegetables and fruits and I LOVE Wegmans...

I remember looking in the mirror one day and thinking, how did I ever let myself get so big (I was at 235 lbs at 5'1). Soon I began planning a trip back to Europe just for my birthday and thought to myself that I couldn't go back looking like I did, so through willpower and a high level of determination, I started vigorously exercising 6 days a week and eating only three 300 calorie meals a day. Needless to say I'm about a year and 1/2, I went from 235 to 165, and I was feeling better ... hadn't seen a doctor in years ...

Then my leg started hurting, so I had to find a primary care doctor. The tiny ache in my leg turned out to be type 2 diabetes and I was put on several oral medications (in November 2015). Since then, I have gained a lot of weight and no matter how much I try I can't manage to lose it again. My glucose levels are always high and when I found out that I may qualify for the insurance to cover surgery, I started to research.

I have an amazing surgery team, they make you jump through a thousand hoops but I'd never ever change them. My doctor is definitely there whenever I need answers and they have helped guide me through the hoops.

The insurance company only requires that I've been overweight / struggled with weight for more than 5 years, that I've tried numerous attempts to lose the weight, and that I have a BMI of 35 or more with co-morbidities.

The surgeon however required: a psych evaluation, a physical therapy evaluation, a dietician evaluation, a support group session, exercise classes, an endoscopy, and in my case a sleep study.

In the month of May I have completed all 16 doctors appointments, putting myself in thousands of dollars of debt trying to reach my astronomically high deductible. Last Friday, they said that it is finally time to submit the paper work for approval and I should have surgery in late July / August ... so fingers crossed I get it approved and will be able to hopefully eliminate or reduce the amount of medications I am currently on!

Sorry it's a bit long, at first I wasn't sure what to write and then I ended up spilling 1/2 my life haha!

You will get there had to do most of that myself just different situations and such. I am 2 weeks out from surgery. And i will say I am already feeling better even. Already down 13 lbs. Something to look forward to.

HW: 285
SW: 255
CW:

I am looking forward to it.. I am just nervous that the insurance company will deny me and then I don't know what I'll do. Often people ask me "why would you even consider that?" But I just want to be healthier and feel better.

Are there any of the Protein powders you find are better than others ? My doctor recommended that I try the Bariatric Fusion because their store is about 15 minutes away from us, but they close before I finish work so I haven't been able to buy and try it yet [emoji4]

I don't think they will I have Medicaid and feared they wouldn't approve it in time for my surgery. If you've done everything you've had to do to qualify then they would rather you get the surgery. So you can be healthier and cost them less in the long run.

I just drank muscletech Protein I got from sams club here. GNC has a lot of Proteins as well. They recommended for me to have less than 200 calories, less than 5 sugars. Whatever you buy you can also use for protein pudding whenever you get to you full liquid portion of post op. I've noticed that every surgeons recommendations are different but it is a good way to supplement with something sweet (sugar free) and still get protein in.

I'm here if you have any questions. I too am 28 granted I am 5'9 and was at 285 when I began my whole adventure back in November. I'm feeling better every day and that's what matters.

HW: 285
SW: 255
CW:

Update: I've finally been approved and my official surgery date is August 14!!! I can't wait !!! This is going to be one of the biggest and best decisions of my life .. I'm going to be taking current (starting) measurements this week and will post updates