Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Idaho, here I come

I'm from Greenleaf, Idaho but currently live in Wylie, Texas. I was banded December 1st, what a Christmas present!

They say im lucky because my surgery was scheduled so quickly. I say thank god Dr Cahn is such a great guy. I first met with Dr. Cahn about 3 weeks ago regarding a hernia, located between my belly button and breastplate. After much discussion, we decided to combine the lap band surgery with the hernia repair, thus saving the need for two surgeries and more expense. We tentatively set the surgery date for Jan 16th.

Since then it has been a whirlwind of blood tests, ekg's, phsychological evaluations, nutritionist meetings, etc. i will have the sleep study done on the 3rd. My surgery was recently moved to the 9th since I have all the required pretests completed, except the sleep study, and because the hernia is getting worse. So my countdown ticker has been changed and it's both scary and exciting to see that there are only few days are left to wait. I have started the liver shrinking diet. I guess its a good prep for the extreme diet and eating habit changes that will follow the surgery. I have discovered that I eat far too fast!

So.. I was wondering. The barium drink, is it as awful as I've heard tell? Funny what things we choose to be worried about in times like this, isnt it? *chuckles*

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. Please keep posting, its nice to talk to others who have been or are still experiencing similar stuff.

Merry Christmas

Hello everyone. Got banded in Mexico August 10th 2006 by Dr Rumbaut in Monterey Mexico. It was great. I do have to admit one thing though. I have only got one fill so far by Dr Kelly Fitzpatrick in Portland Oregon. She is awesome. I should have had another by now. She does not do fluro fills. I would like to know who does the Fluro fills locally and how much. I know that several of the US doctors won't fill if you have been banded in Mexico. I heard a local Boise patient tell me that she was told it was because Mexicos bands are not FDA approved like the states are. What a crock. I have the same band everyone here does. I have the certificate and a card I carry in my wallet. Maybe it is because we paid less than half the money. Anyway my doctor has twice as much experience as the doctors here and that was important to me.

Hi All, I am being banded on April 2, 07 by Dr Cahn. I live in Eagle, Idaho however, I am from Idaho Falls. I am looking forward to chatting with everyone. I am so excited I can hardly stay calm.

Looks like this thread died and then came back to life again in 2007...I am SOOO glad...here I am in Pocatello, getting banded in Idaho Falls on the 19th of April...not many Idahoans out there we need to stick together.. would love to chat with some of you.

Hi, I am actually from Clarkston WA. but work across the bridge in Idaho and have decide to go to my first seminar in Boise on June 11th for Dr. Cahn. Believe me this has been 2 years of being on the net, and have thought and scheduled appointments in Everett washington but all the family and my sis-in-law had hers in Boise. So, I am headed there.

I live in Oregon , but am having the surgery in Boise, since its the closest. ..Dr.Bryan Anderson is the Dr.that I'm using. Is anyone familiar with him? I find him to be very good thus far and his office staff is very caring and pleasant. I'm NERVOUS as all get out and your post do help.Shar

Shar, I have heard some really good things about Dr. Anderson. I have a picture of him and Dr. Cahn together from another link I was on. I will look for it and send it to you. They both work from St. Al's in boise and My sis -in-law had Dr. Cahn. I thought about going with Dr. Anderson but until I go to that darn seminar on June 11th , I won't get too far . I am sure he will be great. I am not nervous at all, I have been looking into this for 2 years, my problem is insurance. But I am not going to let that stop me.

:nervous Thanks Carla Sue for the reply. I have been waiting 2 yrs for the surgery . I on one hand am looking forward to it ,on the other I'm dreading the next 6 weeks...after that I am thinking it should be alot easier. I know everyone is different ....so we shall see. Maybe I'll be one of those that has no problems at all..wouldn't that be great? Shar

Looks like this thread died and then came back to life again in 2007...I am SOOO glad...here I am in Pocatello, getting banded in Idaho Falls on the 19th of April...not many Idahoans out there we need to stick together.. would love to chat with some of you.

So how are you? I didn't even know that anyone was doing bands in IF. Some of us get together in Boise on occasion, and there is a group called IdahoBandsters@yahoogroups.com that you might want to join. Most are in Boise area, of course, but don't let that hold you back.

dan

Hello everyone. Got banded in Mexico August 10th 2006 by Dr Rumbaut in Monterey Mexico. It was great. I do have to admit one thing though. I have only got one fill so far by Dr Kelly Fitzpatrick in Portland Oregon. She is awesome. I should have had another by now. She does not do fluro fills. I would like to know who does the Fluro fills locally and how much. I know that several of the US doctors won't fill if you have been banded in Mexico. I heard a local Boise patient tell me that she was told it was because Mexicos bands are not FDA approved like the states are. What a crock. I have the same band everyone here does. I have the certificate and a card I carry in my wallet. Maybe it is because we paid less than half the money. Anyway my doctor has twice as much experience as the doctors here and that was important to me.

There are MANY, mostly legitimate and related to insurance, reasons why US docs won't do foreign fills. There is supposed to be a fill center in Pocatello, but don't know if it is still there. The one in Eagle closed as far as I know. Why not join IdahoBandsters@yahoogroups.com for more local info.

dan

You can have your fills done much closer - Blackfoot, Idaho - Bingham Memorial Hospital - (208) 782-3993. Also please feel free to join our support group (free) which has activities/discussions every month - when you call ask for Tina. We'd love to have you. You don't have to do this alone.

That's in addition to the FillCenterUSA in Pocatello, I gather. Neither one is a quick run from Boise, but a bit closer than others. I was just at the Seattle Bash a couple weeks ago and learned that there will be a FillCenterUSA in Boise very soon, like probably in March. That will be a good option, and they will have fluoro. This from the VP of FillCenterUSA, so think it will really happen.

One of these days I'll have to get over there to see the eastern Idaho bandsters.

dan

Hi my name is Sharon i live in Jerome Idaho 10 miles north of Twin Falls. I had my surgery done by Dr. Cahn. I went to the info meeting. That is when I decided to have the surgery. Dr. Cahn did my surgery too. My surgery was done in March 17th 2008. Dr. cahn made it possible for me to to have a new life. Thank you Dr. Cahn

Hi my name is Sharon i live in Jerome Idaho 10 miles north of Twin Falls. I had my surgery done by Dr. Cahn. I went to the info meeting. That is when I decided to have the surgery. Dr. Cahn did my surgery too. My surgery was done in March 17th 2008. Dr. cahn made it possible for me to to have a new life. Thank you Dr. Cahn

I haven't met Dr. Cahn yet, but have met Dr. Bryan Anderson, also working out of St. Al's. How did you choose the doctor for your surgery? Did you have insurance that covered the cost? I'm in the research stage of this journey and started refinancing my house in order to cover the expense. I welcome your perspective.