Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We're all different, we all handle things differently, we all have feelings, whether they're right or wrong, we all have to choose what works for us. And we SHOULD all be here to encourage and at the right times (when asked) offer constructive criticism.

for ex: I have reservations about the Keto diet. It's not my choice, but I do hope it works out great for those who choose it. I'm not wrong for disagreeing with those who choose it. I will also not go into a debate about it either. Just becomes a mess. Each to his own...

Edited by Newme17

So you're frustrated because people give opinions you don't like and have an approach you don't like. Congratulations and welcome to planet Earth.

I don't see the cause to have this coddling approach you favor. The issue for many is depression, and as someone who has had to battle it numerous times, it is a life and death issue and should be treated with the cold reality that presents much of us when faced with choices that aren't easy, when the body's organs start to fail due to horrific choices. I've seen first hand how coddling people just helps make them comfortable making stupid decisions.

The beauty of freedom is, if you don't like the opinions or advice of someone, can always ignore it, or like you did, whine about it. It's not going to change the mentality when you're on a forum with people who are highly motivated to change things and someone either wants to eat crap or brags about eating crap.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

we all come here for support. Sometimes we need tough love, but there are many ways to convey that without hurting someone's feelings, and it would be nice if we all remembered that.

Ok, so in case y'all haven't figured it out..

Ice cream without chunks fits into the "full liquids" category.

Unfortunately, when we ask for free advice and suggestions on weight loss surgery forums, nearly 100 percent of the time the respondents are not going to be 'experts' with fancy doctoral degrees. The advice is free, after all.

If people who want advice and suggestions really need an educated professional, there's the option of paying the big bucks for consulting with one.

Alas, we get what we pay for. If the snarky advice is free, an individual can log off.

Speaking of signing off, many people lie to themselves. They seek only those opinions and comments that will validate their worldview or a terrible decision they're wanting to make, often under the guise of "looking for support" or "needing advice."

In other words, many folks are really seeking Yes-people, cheerleaders, "supportive" Pollyanna types and others who tell them exactly what they want to hear, nothing more. Tough love and blunt advice that opposes the person's worldview or poor decision is discounted as rude.

Sometimes candor and tough love are what the doctor ordered.

3 hours ago, Newme17 said:

We're all different, we all handle things differently, we all have feelings, whether they're right or wrong, we all have to choose what works for us. And we SHOULD all be here to encourage and at the right times (when asked) offer constructive criticism.

for ex: I have reservations about the Keto diet. It's not my choice, but I do hope it works out great for those who choose it. I'm not wrong for disagreeing with those who choose it. I will also not go into a debate about it either. Just becomes a mess. Each to his own...

I definitely agree with you in that we are all different and handle things differently. And sometimes debate and conversation is warranted. I think what I'm trying to say is that people really jump to providing criticism or opinions in situations where it isn't warranted.

3 hours ago, Joann454 said:

Lol! The last line cracked me up. I understand what you're saying. The internet can be a cruel place. Take what ya need and...we'll you know.

Unfortunately, it can. I do know that you can't prevent anyone from having an opinion, but sometimes I just don't understand the why and when someone chooses to share that opinion. People don't understand how their words can affect some people. That's more the point I was hoping to make.

And yes, this liquid diet has made me rather adversarial!

2 hours ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

So you're frustrated because people give opinions you don't like and have an approach you don't like. Congratulations and welcome to planet Earth.

I don't see the cause to have this coddling approach you favor. The issue for many is depression, and as someone who has had to battle it numerous times, it is a life and death issue and should be treated with the cold reality that presents much of us when faced with choices that aren't easy, when the body's organs start to fail due to horrific choices. I've seen first hand how coddling people just helps make them comfortable making stupid decisions.

The beauty of freedom is, if you don't like the opinions or advice of someone, can always ignore it, or like you did, whine about it. It's not going to change the mentality when you're on a forum with people who are highly motivated to change things and someone either wants to eat crap or brags about eating crap.

My point is that who are we to decide who needs coddling and who doesn't? You read a few words in a forum or blog and you know what they need emotionally? Additionally, how does a yes or no question warrant a lecture? I agree there are posts in which people are asking for an opinion and get what they ask for, but I think people give their opinions when no one asked them. I realize that's the way of the internet, but I just think that a lot of people don't know what someone is going through and it couldn't hurt to show a little human decency. Human decency does not necessarily equal coddling... in fact, perhaps I did not convey this particularly well, but my point was that sometimes questions warrant no emotion whatsoever.

In my opinion, people who favor the tough love approach with strangers probably have some issues facing things themselves. Not everyone is a piece of crap and sometimes tough love makes people feel that way.

Additionally, there's a difference between tough love and being outright rude.

2 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Ok, so in case y'all haven't figured it out..

Ice cream without chunks fits into the "full liquids" category.

Ha, thank you. :402_lollipop: (that's supposed to be a popsicle)

2 hours ago, Apple1 said:

we all come here for support. Sometimes we need tough love, but there are many ways to convey that without hurting someone's feelings, and it would be nice if we all remembered that.

I definitely agree. And perhaps my hunger-laden post did not express that. I don't disagree that in some instance people need a firm hand or some straightforward talking to, but the way in which people speak to one another is very disappointing. I just wonder if some people would actually say certain the things they say to someone's face. I mean to a stranger's face they just met. Maybe they would...

1 hour ago, Introversion said:

Unfortunately, when we ask for free advice and suggestions on weight loss surgery forums, nearly 100 percent of the time the respondents are not going to be 'experts' with fancy doctoral degrees. The advice is free, after all.

If people who want advice and suggestions really need an educated professional, there's the option of paying the big bucks for consulting with one.

Alas, we get what we pay for. If the snarky advice is free, an individual can log off.

Speaking of signing off, many people lie to themselves. They seek only those opinions and comments that will validate their worldview or a terrible decision they're wanting to make, often under the guise of "looking for support" or "needing advice."

In other words, many folks are really seeking Yes-people, cheerleaders, "supportive" Pollyanna types and others who tell them exactly what they want to hear, nothing more. Tough love and blunt advice that opposes the person's worldview or poor decision is discounted as rude.

Sometimes candor and tough love are what the doctor ordered.

I can definitely agree with what you're saying and perhaps I went a little off the deep end in my opinions. My post ultimately was to address that sometimes someone asks a question and instead of getting a straightforward answer, they get someone who's going on and on with the tough love thing (which fine, I can't stop anyone from doing that) but doesn't even answer the questions directly. It's like people are on a campaign to bring people down when they don't know the motivation behind the question. It wasn't as if the person said, "Yes/No, ice cream is okay at stage ABC. However, don't forget that ice cream can be a slider food." They didn't address the question at all and determined that because someone had a question about ice cream, they had issues with ice cream.

11 minutes ago, Mandy Vachon said:

My point is that who are we to decide who needs coddling and who doesn't? You read a few words in a forum or blog and you know what they need emotionally? Additionally, how does a yes or no question warrant a lecture? I agree there are posts in which people are asking for an opinion and get what they ask for, but I think people give their opinions when no one asked them. I realize that's the way of the internet, but I just think that a lot of people don't know what someone is going through and it couldn't hurt to show a little human decency. Human decency does not necessarily equal coddling... in fact, perhaps I did not convey this particularly well, but my point was that sometimes questions warrant no emotion whatsoever.

In my opinion, people who favor the tough love approach with strangers probably have some issues facing things themselves. Not everyone is a piece of crap and sometimes tough love makes people feel that way.

Additionally, there's a difference between tough love and being outright rude.

People give advice and opinions how they give advice and opinions. If you're offended by people not taking a coddling approach ignore them. Every day we're bombarded with information and have to decide what's relevant to us and what's not. This is no different. Whining won't change how people are. The world does not adjust and conform to you, it's vice versa.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

1 minute ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

People give advice and opinions how they give advice and opinions. If you're offended by people not taking a coddling approach ignore them. Every day we're bombarded with information and have to decide what's relevant to us and what's not. This is no different. Whining won't change how people are.

And your reply won't change how people are either... did it feel productive what you said? Do you feel as if you changed me and my whininess? I believe this post stated this was a vent/rant... I wonder how calling my whiny will change my opinion or improve your life...