Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 Post Op: does it suck this bad for everyone?

I got my sleeve on Wednesday, and I feel awful. The gas is going, which is good, but I'm really disgusted by the taste of Protein Shakes right now, and the texture. And those chewable vitamins!! I can barely get them down without vomiting. I know I'm not getting in enough water-- I just can't take more than a few tiny tiny sips before my stomach has a little cramp and tells me to stop. So I wait and start again after 10-15 minutes, but it took me 12 hours to do 8 ounces of Water today, and maybe 6 oz of Protein Shake. I am so freaking far from my goals. AND-- I haven't even lost any weight at all, after eating virtually nothing for six days.That scares me, like maybe this isn't going to work for me.

This is all venting. I am having a hard time and feeling a lot of regret, wondering why I did this thing to my body. I had to watch my 4 year old eat his little dinner tonight, while I took sips from my shake, and I just got so dang depressed. Anyone else out there feeling this way? Anyone who DID feel this way, and can give me an idea of when it gets better??

I had mine done Wednesday and feel a lot better today. Been walking about two miles a day. I am taking the minimu m drugs. Carafate and acid reducer. They gave me hydrocodone but not taking that. Using Tylenol instead.

Forcing myself to sip Water all day. Today I went to smoothie king and got a high Protein smoothie with yogurt and it made me feel a lot better.

It does get better, I couldn't stomachs the Protein Shakes, took me all day to get 8 oz in but by the 3rd week it started getting better. It will get better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

It gets easier! I had to do Premier Protein because whey makes me gage. Eventually you will drink more & feel better. Hang in there :)

I promise it gets better. I honestly didn't reach my Protein goals until several months afterward. I couldn't drink much at all my first few days either. I also could hardly stomach the Protein Shakes for quite a while. So the first few days, I just focused on drinking a small sip every 5 minutes. But I didn't get anywhere near my goals until several months out.... Some people can do it really quickly, and some can't. I definitely couldn't. I didn't take Vitamins until several weeks out either. Try not to worry about not losing anything. You are still swollen from your surgery and you will have Fluid still on you from the IV. But I promise, you will start losing. This will work for you, just hang in there. The first week is the hardest, but eventually, I have faith that you will be thrilled that you made this choice. I am about 8 and 1/2 months post-op and I have lost 112 pounds so far. This is definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am only 14 pounds from my goal weight. If I keep losing after that, that's ok too, but I will be happy with myself if I stop there. You will do great!

I am also 3 days out. I don't find the Protien manageable yet so I'm sticking to watered down grape juice and sugar free Gatorade and beef broth. I'm just trying to meet my liquid goals and once I master that I'll start reintroducing Protien. I'm not down either but I know I'm carrying tons of Fluid weight from the iv fluids and Water retention post op. It was the same with my lapband it took about a week-10 days to see the scale start to move. I'm just getting in some gentle steps and letting myself heal, the rest will come.

Lap band 2009
Sw 200/lw 161/cw 214
Sleeve revision booked 17 May

I'm 8 days out. My first few days were miserable and I was wondering what I did to myself also. It gets better each day. Focus on hydration first for right now. I'm finally tolerating Protein Shakes better but they still sit heavy in my stomach and don't taste very good. It gets better I promise.

1 hour ago, kj1228 said:

I'm 8 days out. My first few days were miserable and I was wondering what I did to myself also. It gets better each day. Focus on hydration first for right now. I'm finally tolerating Protein Shakes better but they still sit heavy in my stomach and don't taste very good. It gets better I promise.

Yes, it does get better. I know for two days after surgery i was still experiencing side effects from the anesthesia with Migraine like head pain. Nothing would work I just had to leave it my system and i couldn't even sleep cause the pain would happen when i woke up. I feel better now.

I'm 5 days out and miserable been grazing but since little it's not enjoyable but everything I am supposed to have is horrible help me

I was sleeved Wednesday as well. I'm finally starting to feel almost normal. The gas is pretty much gone and I only feel pain at my big incision when I turn the wrong way. This morning I'm trying to get down my first Protein Shake. Slow & steady. I'm also going to my nieces birthday party this afternoon, so it's my first day out (which is why I'm making myself get this shake down).

I'm nervous about being at a BBQ. I'm not hungry, but I worry about seeing delicious food and Desserts and nice cold beer that I can't have. I also feel anxious about answering questions about why I'm not eating or drinking or moving around normally. I should probably skip the party, to be honest, but that would draw even more attention to myself.

I'm hoping that drinking these shakes will boost my energy levels. I really want to start taking walks but I just don't have the energy. I haven't had any pain meds since Thursday around noon (they made me vomit) so there's no excuse for me not to be getting up & around.

As for the scale, yesterday I was down 4 lbs from my weight on Wednesday morning. I didn't weigh today, the scale is upstairs and it's a hike for me to get there right now.

I hope you are feeling better today! We got this :)

When I had Water in the beginning, my stomach would spasm too. I found that warm liquids were way better than cool or cold. Try that and see how it goes. You'll be able to get more in too. Another thing, keep walking. Even if it's just mini walks throughout the day. It gets better every single day! Just hang in there hon!!

I'm 5 days out and miserable been grazing but since little it's not enjoyable but everything I am supposed to have is horrible help me

Are you doing frozen yogurt pops? That is what helped me get through.

You guys are great!! Thanks for sharing, it gives me good ideas and is a big relief to know I'm not alone. Today, day 4, is slightly better-- in just 3 hours I have almost finished my 8 oz of herbal tea. :P I can't wait until I can move on to yogurt and applesauce and cottage cheese after 4 more days...