Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Get it Started, July 2017 Sleevers!

Just got my date: July 10, 2017. I have what seems like a fairly typical lead-up to WLS: losing between 20-50 pounds repeatedly since reaching adulthood and always managing to put the pounds back on plus some. I have tried many diets, including Weight Watchers, Atkins, Paleo, Nutri-System, Slim Fast, Isagenix, and various other Meal Replacement shakes. It is only recently that I have really recognized that I have a very unhealthy relationship with food. I don't know that I necessarily am an emotional eater, I just really like to eat and I really like the feeling of being full. I have started to work on the mental aspect of my food issues and I anticipate that this will be the biggest struggle for me after WLS. Basically, food is my vice.

I also have been in denial about my size for some time. I have always carried my weight in a way that kind of masks my size. I have always figured that I am doing OK as long as I can still find cute clothes that fit me. I also have a healthy sense of self-confidence and have never let my weight hold me back. However, I finally realized that it was time to take control of my obesity through weight loss surgery when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea earlier this year. I cannot allow my weight and my obsession with food compromise my health or lead me to an early death.

I am also totally nervous! I am not necessarily afraid of the surgery itself (I have had three C-sections and NOTHING can be worse than that!) but I still need to get to the place where I am as close to 100% sure as possible that I will be able to commit long term to a massive life style change. I know myself, and it will be difficult, if not impossible, for me to moderate around certain foods. Thus, surgery may mark the end of my relationship with some of my favorite things.

I have learned a great deal from lurking on this site for the better part of 2017. I am hoping to find some fellow July 2017 sleevers to commiserate with and I would love support and advice from any experienced WLS veterans, especially when it comes to post WLS surgery veterans who feel like they may have/had a dependence or addiction to food.

I agree with you. It's my vice. I am home all the time since car accident left me unable to work. Quit smoking 12 years ago. My boredom and bad focus daily leaves me in a bad place to where I am now.

I agree with you. It's my vice. I am home all the time since car accident left me unable to work. Quit smoking 12 years ago. My boredom and bad focus daily leaves me in a bad place to where I am now.

Are you scheduled for WLS in July as well? How are you planning on dealing with food issues post surgery? I'm trying to gather as much insight on this before my surgery date!

@Redo2017 We are surgery date buddies! My Surgery is also scheduled for July 10th. This is my very first post in any of these threads, but I have been reading a lot in recent months! I have always been plus size and my weight never really bothered me (that much) and I have always been comfortable in my skin. But I have had some recent health problems, I was diagnosed with diabetes almost 10 years ago and after every diet in the book and every drug I think I could try, I still can't get my weight consistently under control. So I am taking charge!

I am nervous too, and like you not about the surgery its self, that will probably be the easiest part. But I am worried about how I am going to deal with the life changes. I haven't been able to do it before on my own. This is a big change!!!

anyways I just wanted to post since we have the same surgery date, and I could definitely use some friends that are going through the same thing as me. I have not told many people about my surgery, how are you dealing with that aspect of this?

[mention=318364]Redo2017[/mention] We are surgery date buddies! My Surgery is also scheduled for July 10th. This is my very first post in any of these threads, but I have been reading a lot in recent months! I have always been plus size and my weight never really bothered me (that much) and I have always been comfortable in my skin. But I have had some recent health problems, I was diagnosed with diabetes almost 10 years ago and after every diet in the book and every drug I think I could try, I still can't get my weight consistently under control. So I am taking charge!
I am nervous too, and like you not about the surgery its self, that will probably be the easiest part. But I am worried about how I am going to deal with the life changes. I haven't been able to do it before on my own. This is a big change!!!
anyways I just wanted to post since we have the same surgery date, and I could definitely use some friends that are going through the same thing as me. I have not told many people about my surgery, how are you dealing with that aspect of this?

Sounds like we have similar concerns! So far I have only told my husband. If I had it my way I would not tell anyone else! Truthfully, I am embarrassed and I do not want to deal with judgment or unsolicited advice. I do not think that any of my close friends or family members will support my decision. I will likely tell my mom because I will need her help with my children after surgery. I know that she is going to be super critical and probably will try to talk me out of it. Who have you decided to tell?

I have been trying to work on the mental aspect of things for several weeks. I am very scared to permanently alter my body only to find I lack the will power to make a long term change. I found a podcast called the Weight Loss Surgery Podcast that I have found very helpful. I highly recommend it. I've listened to every episode. I've also been reading a Geneen Roth book that has some good ideas about changing mindset with regard to food. Thanks for responding! It's nice to have someone to bounce concerns off of!

6 minutes ago, Redo2017 said:

Sounds like we have similar concerns! So far I have only told my husband. If I had it my way I would not tell anyone else! Truthfully, I am embarrassed and I do not want to deal with judgment or unsolicited advice. I do not think that any of my close friends or family members will support my decision. I will likely tell my mom because I will need her help with my children after surgery. I know that she is going to be super critical and probably will try to talk me out of it. Who have you decided to tell?

I have been trying to work on the mental aspect of things for several weeks. I am very scared to permanently alter my body only to find I lack the will power to make a long term change. I found a podcast called the Weight Loss Surgery Podcast that I have found very helpful. I highly recommend it. I've listened to every episode. I've also been reading a Geneen Roth book that has some good ideas about changing mindset with regard to food. Thanks for responding! It's nice to have someone to bounce concerns off of!

I have told my two best friends, and my parents and sister. I actually have been working with a therapists who has helped me 1) finally make the decision to go through with surgery, but 2) she has also helped me to see that this is not something I should be ashamed of. I have tried other ways to lose weight and obviously nothing has worked because I always end up right where I started out. This surgery is the tool that I need to help me lose weight. So far every one has been very supportive, I would hope that your friends and family would be as well! However, you don't have to tell anyone at all. Really its no ones business, so if you choose to keep it to yourself that's cool too. I think that the more support you have around you the better your surgery and recovery will go!

As far as food goes, I don't know that I have an emotional attachment to it, I just like food hahha. But that is something that I am going to have to work through. I am going to continue to see my therapist after the surgery too, so that I have an outlet for my frustrations and also someone who can help me deal with the emotions that almost certainly will come up!

1 hour ago, TiggerB1014 said:

July 7th surgery date in Mexico!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome!!! July 7th!!! Are you excited!!??

10 minutes ago, TiggerB1014 said:

Scared, excited for the new start, nervous due to my parents not supporting my decision to have the surgery. So a whole bunch of emotions.

Really? that's a bummer about your parents! Do you have some friends who are? You will need a little support group for sure! You will have us now!!

I think we can all agree scared and excited are the basic emotions we are all feeling, sometimes overwhelmingly!!!

Scared, excited for the new start, nervous due to my parents not supporting my decision to have the surgery. So a whole bunch of emotions.

This is exactly why I'm hesitant to tell my mother. If she does not support the decision it will really complicate things. Ultimately, we have to do what is right for us!

Thats why I'm still going on with my plans of getting the sleeve. My husband and I are getting the surgery done together. So it's going to be a adventure for sure. Because my family is very close so this is a kick in the gut. But at 300 lbs I have to do this for me.

July 10th 2017 is my surgery date too!! I have only told a few people because I am embarrassed to be fat.

July 10th 2017 is my surgery date too!! I have only told a few people because I am embarrassed to be fat.

I can empathize with this one. One of my issues is that I've been in denial about how overweight I've become. Telling anyone I'm having WLS is akin to broadcasting, "YES, I am overweight, and so much so that medical professionals have recommended surgery." It's a tough reality for me. I have not been obese my entire life, and in fact I was quite thin in my teenage and early adult years. It's only recently with the development of health issues that I actually am beginning to identify as an overweight person.

July 7th surgery date in Mexico!!

Congrats! Do you live in Mexico or will you be traveling there from the states? If you are traveling, what's the post-op plan? Do you have to stay in Mexico to heal for a bit or do they clear you for travel straight away?