Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NWWLS - new post-op diet?

Just had my pre-op appt y'all, and after spending a decent amount of time reading all the wonderful info on this board, I'm feeling concerned/confused.

I'm being banded next Thursday at Northwest Weight Loss Surgery in Everett, WA and we reviewed the post-op diet. I want to be succesful. I will follow what they tell me to do. BUT...

...they have recently revised their post-op to be: 1 week full liquids (which includes applesauce, yogurt, pudding), followed by 1 week of mushies (soft fish, scrambled eggs), then on to more solid foods. First fill at 4 weeks.

I fully understand the need to have the band heal and settle in place. I'm seriously thinking of extending my phases to have an extra week of liquids and an extra week of mushies. I'll be damned if I move through things to fast just to cause issues down the road.

Am I nuts?? :)

I'm 3 days out and still on just liquids and I'd KILL for some applesauce right about now! If my doc said I could have it I sure would! LOL!

My doc says Clear Liquids for two weeks post op, and then onto mushies. I'm with you though, do what you feel is best. The better chance you give yourself in the beginning (healing) the better off you will be. This is alot to go through just to mess it up by eating too early. Best of luck to you. I'm 10 days post op. P.s. We have the rest of our lives to eat. Believe me, this is helping me too just by sharing it with you.

Blues,

Your post op diet is just like mine.

Days 1-7 liquid

Days 8-14 mushies

Days 15 on: all foods as tolerated

I followed this diet, but I did extend the "mushies" phase by about 3 days. I still eat a lot of Soup and just have to watch what I eat. When I do eat solid food, I try to just eat a little bit. Unfortunately I have no restriction and that causes me to be able to eat like I was before, so I have to be careful about what goes into my mouth and write down everything.

Whatever you decide to do, you will be fine. Good luck!!

I'm not one to advise going against your doctor's orders but the MANUFACTURER of the band suggests weeks 1-2 liquids, weeks 3-4 mushies and week 5 soft food. It's right in their manual.

My doctor says it takes up to 6 weeks to fully heal.

*I* think you'd be doing the right thing by extending the phases they suggested.

There is NOTHING wrong with EXTENDING your phases.

At the ASBS conference this past June there was a presentation regarding post-op diets and apparently there was a paper done about how you didn't need to have the looong time on each stage. Supposedly newer research shows that the slip rate isn't much higher in those who progress fatster through the stages. Now, this was presented at the same time the newer AP bands were released to the US market. I know there is the thought that the AP will have less slips and less erosion because of the way it is constructed. Apparently that's proven itself to a degree in Australia where the AP has been in use for a while now.

However, I would not want to chance anything. And if your doc is not using the AP, then I would not want to progress faster through the stages with the standard 4cc band at all (it is smooth on the inside, the VG and AP have baffles or pillows si it supposedly holds onto the stomach a bit better). But many docs have changed their post-op diets based on this presentation. I have to wonder if it wasn't partly because of the newer AP, partly a study and a LARGE part was how much we whine post-op about how long we are on liquids and mushies. Dunno, could be.

But as was stated above, the Allergan website still lists the stages as being longer, and they not only are the manufacturer (so of course there are some liability issues), but they also are the ones who introduced the AP to the US market, one would think if they supported the shorter stages, they'd have revised their materials, but they haven't.