Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best pjs for the hospital?

I wore a long cotton nightgown with tank type sleeves. I got mine at Avenue. It was very comfortable to sleep in and great for walking around. I had a lot of gas pain behind my shoulder blades and walked a lot so it was nice to be able to just jump out of bed and walk. I hate wearing socks in bed so I brought easy slip on sandals for my walks. Also, I agree with the chapstick. Having it really saved me

I only wore a gown and hospital slippers until next day when I had IV out and I took a shower. Not too steady on my feet at first and slipper socks worked best. My hospital floor was only for post op bariatric patients so we were all in the same boat. Also, my hospital supplied lip balm and I used it up[emoji3]

Tip. Invest in some Bridget Jones knickers, the high waist helps support the belly and it's way more comfy than wearing dental floss and a postal stamp square of bum fluff after surgery

6 hours ago, gryffen said:

Tip. Invest in some Bridget Jones knickers, the high waist helps support the belly and it's way more comfy than wearing dental floss and a postal stamp square of bum fluff after surgery

so funny! :)

Just remember the IV will be in your arm so short sleeved. Also robes cant go on IV arm so maybe a poncho style or something that you can drape. I used the hospital gown and brought a comfy robe to cover my back but only had one sleeve on and one side hanging on my shoulder. Annoying

Wear what they give you. They give you one gown to wear and one to use as a robe. I would never use something that had been in a hospital again. I'd burn it. Too much exposure to ??????? in the hospital.

Plus if something happens to you, they are just going to cut them off of you.

They also provided socks with grips.

I walked the whole night (they yelled at me multiple times to sleep, lol).

The clothes I was provided were perfectly comfortable and functional. I took as little as possible to the hospital. I was also only there for about 26 hours, I guess if you plan on being there for days, you want more stuff, but the hospital I went to provided everything. When my lips were dry after surgery in recovery the nurse put Vaseline on them for me, that the hospital provided,

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

19 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Wear what they give you. They give you one gown to wear and one to use as a robe. I would never use something that had been in a hospital again. I'd burn it. Too much exposure to ??????? in the hospital.

Plus if something happens to you, they are just going to cut them off of you.

They also provided socks with grips.

I walked the whole night (they yelled at me multiple times to sleep, lol).

The clothes I was provided were perfectly comfortable and functional. I took as little as possible to the hospital. I was also only there for about 26 hours, I guess if you plan on being there for days, you want more stuff, but the hospital I went to provided everything. When my lips were dry after surgery in recovery the nurse put Vaseline on them for me, that the hospital provided,

I literally just deleted the bath robe I was about to purchase when I read this! Thanks for posting. I will just use what they give me. I'm always cold too, so I think just a couple of small fleece blankets to drape over me will suffice.

But I will buy some comfy non slip slippers...I don't think they'll need to cut them off for any reason . :) haha

Edited by Newme17

I wore one hospital gown open in the back and one open in the front as a robe... I had the IV for the whole time I was there, it was not removed until I was discharged. I also didn't have a catheter at all unless it was in the OR and they removed it right away. As soon as I got to the recovery room they got me up and I walked to the bathroom.... and I continued to walk to the bathroom every 2 hours or so while I was there.. the IV was running at 150 an hour. Just remember to bring something comfortable to wear home... lounge pants or something like that

9 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

I literally just deleted the bath robe I was about to purchase when I read this! Thanks for posting. I will just use what they give me. I'm always cold too, so I think just a couple of small fleece blankets to drape over me will suffice.

They will give you all the stuff you want. they have tons of blankets.

Like seriously people you are paying more this night in a hospital than a room at a 5 star hotel. Make them give you everything! You are paying for it. Enjoy those amenities!

@rainyann Is right about something comfy to wear. I bought a cheap wireless bra that hooked in the front from Walmart to wear to the hospital and to wear home. I wore a maxi dress (I really miss that dress it was so pretty *sigh*) and panties. I had that stuff on for all of 2 hours maybe before stripping in the hospital, I wore the same thing home.

I took my face wash, toner, moisturizing, lip balm, a kindle, phone changer, and phone. That is it.

I walked out the hospital with so much swag, even more stuff than they gave at the pre-op meeting. I just tossed a bunch of my surgery stuff in the last few weeks. I got rid of the bariatric plate, I have never used it, the measuring spoons and cups, the canvas bag, a bunch of stuff.

ETA:

I know a lot of people are used to things not being large enough for them but the bariatric ward at a hospital is the one place where everything is going to fit you. I actually felt small, because I was swimming in the stuff they gave me and I was 358. So if you are worried about the stuff not fitting you, you shouldn't be.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

1 minute ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

They will give you all the stuff you want. they have tons of blankets.

I'm not sure how I forgot about all of that. I've had multiple surgeries and even waiting in the ER a few times they've loaded me up with blankets because I was cold. The less I can take the better, I'll think this through a bit more now. Thanks again!

I brought sooooo much stuff i ended up not using, including the housecoat! My gown was big enough there was zero issue with my butt hanging out the back. I did use my slippers though!

On 4/18/2017 at 9:37 AM, ShelterDog64 said:

I brought pajama pants and a loose top...I got into those as soon as I was back in my room after the surgery. I always feel so much better out of that hospital gown and into my own things. Plus, I felt much better walking the halls in pants than a gown. Brought my own slippers, too :)

I totally agree. I feel worse in hospital gown. Feels good to be among your own things. I was in for four days and i put my pj bottoms and tank top after the first day. I did have some oozing but it won't ruin anything. I went commando and without a bra too. I did not have to have a catheter or was I attached to all the electrodes. I was only connected to an oxygen sensor on my middle finger and an IV.

I scored two of these super-cute, super-comfy caftans at a store called Dirt Cheap (closeout store) for $7 each. The material is soft and lightweight and the sleeves are kimono-style, so plenty of room for IVs, etc.

Also, I'm 5'6" and it hits just below my knee. The brand name is Hue (available at Macy's), if anyone wants to search for something similar.

I do plan on taking a lightweight robe to drape over my shoulders while walking the halls of the hospital.

3590551_fpx.jpg.3d2cf5e85a55917b23cb0726c9d8fb4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app