Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Years Post Op, 15lbs up... 1 Week back on plan...5lbs GONE!!!

Good Morning!

So I am 5 years post op, and over the course of the last two years or so, I have gained about 15lbs. I have been as low as 153, but was happy at 158lbs. Once I hit that goal, I kept working out, but started to not follow the diet my surgeon had directed. That's when the weight start creeping back on, and I found myself at 174. I will be honest, I actually do not have a problem being at this weight..but I have read so many horror stories about people who became comfortable and gained almost 50 plus pounds back, so I decided that for a week I would go back to the basics just to see if I could lose a few pounds. So, starting last Monday I went back to three meals day, with my portions at a cup and half. I ate Protein first, and stuck to veggies and fruits. Also, I cut all wine out of my diet except on Friday and Saturday, where I allowed myself to have a glass with dinner. This forced me to stick to a cup of coffee and all Water during the week. As usual, I kept up my 5 days in the gym, with 3 days of cardio and 2 days of weight training.

I will be honest, I felt great but it was HARD kicking the carbs to the side of the road.

I weighed myself on 3/26 and I was 174, I got on the scale on 4/3 and I was 169! I am so happy that I have shed these few pounds because it gave me more confidence that my pouch can still be used as tool, as long as I eat and drink what I am supposed to, and continue my workout regimen. Not sure if I will ever see 158 again since I weight train, but I do know that 174 is not a health weight for me, and that I need to eat better and take better care of myself. This surgery was an investment I made in myself, and I need to treat it as such.

Edited by Delta_35

Sounds like you have been very successful!! I didn't get a diet plan for anything past 3 months. You are eating a cup and a half of dense Protein and then fruit or veggies correct?

1 minute ago, saraanne1981 said:

Sounds like you have been very successful!! I didn't get a diet plan for anything past 3 months. You are eating a cup and a half of dense Protein and then fruit or veggies correct?

I am starting to notice that every surgeon is different, its really weird. I have a plan that was given to me, including for maintenance. So I am about a cup and half of food total, that includes Protein and veggies/fruits. That's what I am supposed to eat, and if I eat protein first, its plenty. However, when eating carbs, I have found I can eat ALOT more than that, almost 2 and half cups or more!...hence why my surgeon was big proponent of not introducing carbs fully back into my meal plan even years later. If you read other post, you will see other Sleevers talk about how they have the ability to eat more carbs and sweets, but can barely finish a cup of chicken. It is interesting but true!

I am so jealous!! I wish I received that information. I can schedule an appointment with the nutritionists I guess but I would love to have a forever diet plan. So you eat a cup and a half of food a day? This makes me think I am eating way too much!! Is that information on line somewhere under your doctors office or something? I would love to get a copy of that

27 minutes ago, saraanne1981 said:

I am so jealous!! I wish I received that information. I can schedule an appointment with the nutritionists I guess but I would love to have a forever diet plan. So you eat a cup and a half of food a day? This makes me think I am eating way too much!! Is that information on line somewhere under your doctors office or something? I would love to get a copy of that

So it was not a forever plan, but more so direction on how to now eat for the reminder of your time after surgery. You may find it on the BluePoint Surgical Site. I will see if I can find it.

2 hours ago, saraanne1981 said:

My forever plan given to me by my NUT (Sleeve and Bypass) is 5 meals daily - Protein at least 4 of 5 meals - deck of cards sized serving, a multigrain or fruit serving (2 each per day, but not at same meal), and as much veggies that can fit after eating the protein first. Plus 3 good fats - 1 tsp olive oil, nuts, nut butters, avocado. Always eat protein with any carb. I just count protein and Water.

This is inspiring because I'm officially two years post op and never hit my goal weight and been stuck yo-yoing between 163-170 for the past year! I know I graze a lot more than when I was 'healing' but it's so discouraging because I'm exhausted and I feel myself slipping. I used to be able to lose weight simply with diet alone, now I feel like nothing moves! My old dietician left and this new one I saw doesn't seem to be very helpful. Any meal plans people sticking to thats working for VSG people?

4 minutes ago, Kiba said:

This is inspiring because I'm officially two years post op and never hit my goal weight and been stuck yo-yoing between 163-170 for the past year! I know I graze a lot more than when I was 'healing' but it's so discouraging because I'm exhausted and I feel myself slipping. I used to be able to lose weight simply with diet alone, now I feel like nothing moves! My old dietician left and this new one I saw doesn't seem to be very helpful. Any meal plans people sticking to thats working for VSG people?

Have you tried introducing exercise? I highly recommend making physical activity a very big portion of your plan to maintain and lose the last pounds.

As for grazing, I had the same problem. I think a lot of it was due to what I was grazing on. I found that nuts was not a good snack for me because I would eat the whole bag. Also found out that snacking in general is something that was not good for me personal, so I didn't do the 6 "small meals" that a lot people recommend. Instead, I stick to three meals and if I am hungry or craving something, I have it. Other than that, I have three meals, no exceptions. Do whats best for you, but grazing is definitely a bad habit that a lot of us have picked up post op, that we all need to fight to give up.

I definitely can see where grazing can happen the longer you've been post-op. Any type of cracker, chip, etc just goes right through and doesn't make me feel full. So I don't allow myself to eat any multigrain cracker, bread, etc without Protein. 1 - it keeps me from eating more than one serving because the restriction kicks in and 2 - the protein keeps me feeling full much longer, negating the need to snack or graze between my 5 mini-meals.

18 hours ago, Delta_35 said:

Have you tried introducing exercise? I highly recommend making physical activity a very big portion of your plan to maintain and lose the last pounds.

As for grazing, I had the same problem. I think a lot of it was due to what I was grazing on. I found that nuts was not a good snack for me because I would eat the whole bag. Also found out that snacking in general is something that was not good for me personal, so I didn't do the 6 "small meals" that a lot people recommend. Instead, I stick to three meals and if I am hungry or craving something, I have it. Other than that, I have three meals, no exceptions. Do whats best for you, but grazing is definitely a bad habit that a lot of us have picked up post op, that we all need to fight to give up.

I totally do! I do the cardio 3 times a week and yoga twice a week -- it just doesn't move. I NEVER was a grazer before the surgery. I was a eat two insanely large meals a day then sleep type of person. After the surgery, it forced you to eat small and space it out through the day, before I knew it I felt like cattle eating grass all day and the bad habits started. It's so hard getting the Protein numbers high too, I started shakes again (eeeek!) I hate them!

5 hours ago, Kiba said:

I totally do! I do the cardio 3 times a week and yoga twice a week -- it just doesn't move. I NEVER was a grazer before the surgery. I was a eat two insanely large meals a day then sleep type of person. After the surgery, it forced you to eat small and space it out through the day, before I knew it I felt like cattle eating grass all day and the bad habits started. It's so hard getting the Protein numbers high too, I started shakes again (eeeek!) I hate them!

Grazing is definitely the problem, and its a hard habit to break. I would try finding another habit to pickup instead of grazing, especially if it seems you are mostly doing it when you are bored, which is when I do it the most! I have started getting up from desk and walking around during the day, or opting to read a book, or even coming on the board has helped to kick the habit. For me, grazing is more out of boredom then hungry, and a habit I didn't kick before surgery.

As for shakes, they are yummy! You just haven't found one yet that you like :)

Try VCOR. The vanilla and Dreamscile is my favorite, but for more options, I usually stick to the vanilla. I mix mines with a cup of frozen strawberry, a scope of Protein, and almond milk...SO YUMMY. I also have done mixed frozen fruit and peaches!!!

11 minutes ago, Delta_35 said:

Grazing is definitely the problem, and its a hard habit to break. I would try finding another habit to pickup instead of grazing, especially if it seems you are mostly doing it when you are bored, which is when I do it the most! I have started getting up from desk and walking around during the day, or opting to read a book, or even coming on the board has helped to kick the habit. For me, grazing is more out of boredom then hungry, and a habit I didn't kick before surgery.

As for shakes, they are yummy! You just haven't found one yet that you like :)

Try VCOR. The vanilla and Dreamscile is my favorite, but for more options, I usually stick to the vanilla. I mix mines with a cup of frozen strawberry, a scope of Protein, and almond milk...SO YUMMY. I also have done mixed frozen fruit and peaches!!!

The weather has been awful here in the Northeast this winter, I found myself walking outside and pacing around more than graving, it's that hibernation season that kills you! You're probably right! The Ensure Strawberries are the best tasting ones I've found. I did Premier and Core but they tasted so icky after a while. VCOR easy to purchase? How frequently are you drinking shakes during your day? I know they said to supplement a meal a day, but what combination works best for you?

31 minutes ago, Kiba said:

The weather has been awful here in the Northeast this winter, I found myself walking outside and pacing around more than graving, it's that hibernation season that kills you! You're probably right! The Ensure Strawberries are the best tasting ones I've found. I did Premier and Core but they tasted so icky after a while. VCOR easy to purchase? How frequently are you drinking shakes during your day? I know they said to supplement a meal a day, but what combination works best for you?

yes it has been, I am in the Boston area, and coming from Virginia I am suffering...lol.

I do my shakes mostly in the morning, after I exercise at the gym. Vcor is very easy to purchase, Vitamin Shop cares it and if you go there, they will let you sample it for free!!!

Edited by Delta_35

How did you do this week? Still on track?