Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 months post op - 131 pounds gone

I'm 5 months post-op and I'm down 131 pounds. Starting at 470 and now 339.

For those who are on the fence about getting the surgery, or have just gotten it and are hoping it works for them, let me tell you, if you follow your doctor's advice, it will work.

I hardly get hungry anymore and when I do and eat, I get full almost instantly. As soon as I do feel satisfied, I feel that I can't eat another bite, which is something I never experienced before having this surgery. In the past, even if I was full, I could keep eating and stuff myself. I know now, that if I did that I'd get nauseous so I STOP when my body tells me to. I have very few cravings too. This surgery has been a miracle to me. Weight loss isn't as fast as it was in the first month or so, but I do tend to lose around 3-4 pounds a week and I'll gladly take that. At this rate I'll be in the high 200s by Summer and to see my weight start with the number 2 will be amazing.

Congrats to you! Have you had any gallbaldder issues with the weight loss?

Congrats I'm happy for you but cant say the same for myself i am one month post op but as soon as i started soft foods i cant feel full sometimes I wonder if this was a waste of time and i am afraid because I don't want to revert back to my old eating habits

13 minutes ago, tanyatg said:

Congrats I'm happy for you but cant say the same for myself i am one month post op but as soon as i started soft foods i cant feel full sometimes I wonder if this was a waste of time and i am afraid because I don't want to revert back to my old eating habits

The goal of eating isn't to always feel full. I really don't get why people chase this idea around constantly. You should be able to measure out a portion, eat it, and leave the table satisfied. I hate having a full feeling. It's miserable. Why the hell would I want that every time I eat? There is a difference between head hunger and real hunger, and 95% of the time it's likely head hunger we're facing. That's part of the new lifestyle and learning to deal with that.

28 minutes ago, orionburn said:

The goal of eating isn't to always feel full. I really don't get why people chase this idea around constantly. You should be able to measure out a portion, eat it, and leave the table satisfied. I hate having a full feeling. It's miserable. Why the hell would I want that every time I eat? There is a difference between head hunger and real hunger, and 95% of the time it's likely head hunger we're facing. That's part of the new lifestyle and learning to deal with that.

Totally agree. I also noticed @orionburn that you've lost a whopping 73 pounds in less than three months! I was sleeved on 11/21 and I'm down about 65 pounds, so you're flying! Great job.

Here's my take on this whole adventure. Before, I would eat to feel full. But that was (in one sitting) probably 2000 calories and maybe during the course of the day, I'm eating 3-4K calories JUST to keep myself from being hungry.

Once I was sleeved, the first month? Couldn't care about food at all, but as you know, you've got to eat. So the liquid (protien shakes) worked out fine and I lost about 1 pound a day for 30 days... The next stage, I moved to solids (soft), that helped, but again, I had no desire and didn't really miss anything as I would eat 6-8 ounces of food, not feel hungry and almost could not finish.

I'm in the "Stage 5" now, which is absolutely awesome.

I don't have any food restrictions, I can eat what I want but get this, I don't need to eat this massive amount of food. Small, small portions. I'm completely satisfied. The reality is, I can't eat that much! Which I really love about this situation.

In fact, the biggest adjustment I've had to make? My eyes...

I've had to keep telling myself "you'll never eat all that, get the smaller size." -- which has been a challenge as we know with being overweight, we all tended to lean towards larger portions and getting seconds, right?

Today? I love it... small 6-8 ounces of food, whatever that food is, and I'm done.

I miss nothing, I lose weight slower (because I'm eating a bit more calories than the earlier stages) but I'm 100% loving the idea that I'm perfectly happy with tiny portions of food over the course of the day keeping my weight loss moving forward and not having any real setbacks (other than plateauing once in a while , which is normal with the sleeve).

Now here's my big observation.

I'm wondering if people who have a tough time with this surgery and complain (or worry) that they aren't happy with the life changes, do they have food issues (food addictions, etc)? Going into this I knew I was a good candidate because I never sat there and obsessed with eating food or was overly food obsessed. My relationship with food was that I had to eat larger portions to feel "full" and snack a lot as well -- which now?

If I snack, it's a couple crackers and maybe some cheese and I'm done!

Before... well, you know, you'd get the hungry horrors and just keep eating.

Anyway, I never worried about never having something again and as much as I like food like the next person, I always felt I would trade any food for being healthy and normal sized.

This has been the best decision I've ever made.

Edited by BostonGary

Congratulations. Keep up your amazing work!

I'm 5 months post-op and I'm down 131 pounds. Starting at 470 and now 339.
For those who are on the fence about getting the surgery, or have just gotten it and are hoping it works for them, let me tell you, if you follow your doctor's advice, it will work.
I hardly get hungry anymore and when I do and eat, I get full almost instantly. As soon as I do feel satisfied, I feel that I can't eat another bite, which is something I never experienced before having this surgery. In the past, even if I was full, I could keep eating and stuff myself. I know now, that if I did that I'd get nauseous so I STOP when my body tells me to. I have very few cravings too. This surgery has been a miracle to me. Weight loss isn't as fast as it was in the first month or so, but I do tend to lose around 3-4 pounds a week and I'll gladly take that. At this rate I'll be in the high 200s by Summer and to see my weight start with the number 2 will be amazing.

Congrats! And better words I have never read, "if you follow your doctor's advice, it will work!"

As my nut says "weight and measure your foods".

Congratulations. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to read positive posts. It's encouraging to us that haven't had surgery yet and we're questioning if everyone had a bad time after surgery and sick all the time

10 hours ago, Deactivatedfatgal said:

Congrats to you! Have you had any gallbaldder issues with the weight loss?

I've had zero issues at all. Nada.

Good for u Russ! So nice to hear positive journeys :) congrats to u again!

Totally agree. I also noticed [mention=311187]orionburn[/mention] that you've lost a whopping 73 pounds in less than three months! I was sleeved on 11/21 and I'm down about 65 pounds, so you're flying! Great job.
Here's my take on this whole adventure. Before, I would eat to feel full. But that was (in one sitting) probably 2000 calories and maybe during the course of the day, I'm eating 3-4K calories JUST to keep myself from being hungry.
Once I was sleeved, the first month? Couldn't care about food at all, but as you know, you've got to eat. So the liquid (protien shakes) worked out fine and I lost about 1 pound a day for 30 days... The next stage, I moved to solids (soft), that helped, but again, I had no desire and didn't really miss anything as I would eat 6-8 ounces of food, not feel hungry and almost could not finish.
I'm in the "Stage 5" now, which is absolutely awesome.
I don't have any food restrictions, I can eat what I want but get this, I don't need to eat this massive amount of food. Small, small portions. I'm completely satisfied. The reality is, I can't eat that much! Which I really love about this situation.
In fact, the biggest adjustment I've had to make? My eyes...
I've had to keep telling myself "you'll never eat all that, get the smaller size." -- which has been a challenge as we know with being overweight, we all tended to lean towards larger portions and getting seconds, right?
Today? I love it... small 6-8 ounces of food, whatever that food is, and I'm done.
I miss nothing, I lose weight slower (because I'm eating a bit more calories than the earlier stages) but I'm 100% loving the idea that I'm perfectly happy with tiny portions of food over the course of the day keeping my weight loss moving forward and not having any real setbacks (other than plateauing once in a while , which is normal with the sleeve).
Now here's my big observation.
I'm wondering if people who have a tough time with this surgery and complain (or worry) that they aren't happy with the life changes, do they have food issues (food addictions, etc)? Going into this I knew I was a good candidate because I never sat there and obsessed with eating food or was overly food obsessed. My relationship with food was that I had to eat larger portions to feel "full" and snack a lot as well -- which now?
If I snack, it's a couple crackers and maybe some cheese and I'm done!
Before... well, you know, you'd get the hungry horrors and just keep eating.
Anyway, I never worried about never having something again and as much as I like food like the next person, I always felt I would trade any food for being healthy and normal sized.
This has been the best decision I've ever made.

This is exactly how I hope this turns out for me. I want you eat the tiny portion of what I like but be able to stop. I don't like that eating til I am vyrsting. Now days I eat a smaller portion already and stop no matter how i feel. I don't drink with my meals I never have for a long time. I always drink Water and no sodas. If I need to I can sip a tiny amount if water to wet my mouth. I want to be one of those people who eat a tiny amount of good nutritious food. I am so over the massive amounts of food.
Congrats on your loss! That is wonderful!!!! These stories inspire me soo much.
I look forward to crossing my legs at the dinner table someday...and that is my motivation!!!!

Hi, I had the surgery aug 18th 4 mo ago. I have been learning many lessons and do not regret my decision. But there are many realities you must face to be successful and to overcome them one by one. Having the surgery gives you a great head start, you lose a significant amount right away, which leaves you feeling very positive, esp with all the applause of friends and acquaintances. But after you navigate your post surgery diet , and everything is healing fine, there are other battles to consider, my main one is realizing , for me at least, I can eat and tolerate almost all food. So 60+ years of bad habits are still lurking in the background just waiting to rear their ugly head. So to make this short and concise, this is where I am today.

no snacking, I mean, nibbling snacking. even if it is good for you. eat at specified times, even your Snacks.

I am staying on my very low carb, pre surgery diet, only vegs and fruits for carbs, very minimal bread( I use one slice under my poached eggs.)

I can eat whatever I want now, but I got this big for a reason, and it was by not taking 1 lb seriously. One lb, = 1 lb of butter, that is significant, gaining that volume is not to be ignored

So as I continue this journey I have a good 60-80 lbs to go, but I am going to be in control of my addiction and not let it control me. Everyone has issues contributing to our weight problems, so learn to be honest with yourself, attack them one at a time. and Good Luck!!

Hi, I had the surgery aug 18th 4 mo ago. I have been learning many lessons and do not regret my decision. But there are many realities you must face to be successful and to overcome them one by one. Having the surgery gives you a great head start, you lose a significant amount right away, which leaves you feeling very positive, esp with all the applause of friends and acquaintances. But after you navigate your post surgery diet , and everything is healing fine, there are other battles to consider, my main one is realizing , for me at least, I can eat and tolerate almost all food. So 60+ years of bad habits are still lurking in the background just waiting to rear their ugly head. So to make this short and concise, this is where I am today.
no snacking, I mean, nibbling snacking. even if it is good for you. eat at specified times, even your Snacks.
I am staying on my very low carb, pre surgery diet, only vegs and fruits for carbs, very minimal bread( I use one slice under my poached eggs.)
I can eat whatever I want now, but I got this big for a reason, and it was by not taking 1 lb seriously. One lb, = 1 lb of butter, that is significant, gaining that volume is not to be ignored
So as I continue this journey I have a good 60-80 lbs to go, but I am going to be in control of my addiction and not let it control me. Everyone has issues contributing to our weight problems, so learn to be honest with yourself, attack them one at a time. and Good Luck!!

Great insight