Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 50 and worried about safety!!

I'm one scared lady. I'm 54 years old and i'm facing dudental switch. I weigh approximately 265 pounds. I'm the largest I've ever been in life. I in the process of meeting with The nutritionist and psychologist. I am very worried about my age and how my body will handle this change. I would love to hear from someone knew your mother a church that recently had surgery.would love to hear from someone knew your mother a church that recently had surgery.

IMG_0025.JPG

@Eva Aycock - I had VSG in August 2016. (I didn't have a band prior.) I was 55 when I had my surgery and staring down dual knee replacement because I'm bone on bone in both knees. I'm down 82 pounds. I'm training to run a 5k in 4 weeks. When I started training 4 weeks ago, I was "running" (that's a charitable description of what I was doing) a 15+ minute mile. Yesterday, I ran a 12:09 first mile.

I was scared, too. I had never been through any of this before. I had no complications with the sleeve, so I can't speak to DS, but I can say it was the best decision I have made in my life (after deciding to marry my hubby and have kids). I feel 10-15 years younger.

I was in the hospital overnight. I had my surgery on a Tuesday, was home by 3 Wednesday afternoon. I'm a desk jockey who works in the office 2 days a week and from home the rest of the time, but was back at my desk on Monday. I was back at the gym in a week after surgery doing cardio on a recumbent bike.

Assuming you have no other health issues which would make you a risk for anesthesia, I would think you'll be ok. I know its scary and its ok to be scary -- but isn't the thought of dying young due to obesity frightening, too.

Wishing you all the best on your journey.

2 minutes ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

@Eva Aycock - I had VSG in August 2016. (I didn't have a band prior.) I was 55 when I had my surgery and staring down dual knee replacement because I'm bone on bone in both knees. I'm down 82 pounds. I'm training to run a 5k in 4 weeks. When I started training 4 weeks ago, I was "running" (that's a charitable description of what I was doing) a 15+ minute mile. Yesterday, I ran a 12:09 first mile.

I was scared, too. I had never been through any of this before. I had no complications with the sleeve, so I can't speak to DS, but I can say it was the best decision I have made in my life (after deciding to marry my hubby and have kids). I feel 10-15 years younger.

I was in the hospital overnight. I had my surgery on a Tuesday, was home by 3 Wednesday afternoon. I'm a desk jockey who works in the office 2 days a week and from home the rest of the time, but was back at my desk on Monday. I was back at the gym in a week after surgery doing cardio on a recumbent bike.

Assuming you have no other health issues which would make you a risk for anesthesia, I would think you'll be ok. I know its scary and its ok to be scary -- but isn't the thought of dying young due to obesity frightening, too.

Wishing you all the best on your journey.

Thanks so much for the response. I'm fairly healthy. I have no motivation at all to exercise and I know that is very important. I often wonder if it's because I am so overweight I don't have the desire to exercise. Maybe in time and the closer I get to my surgery date I will put that as a priority.

Thank you.

Start by walking around the block now. You need to make it part of your life - start scheduling time and find things you like to do. I don't like running, but I'm too stubborn to quit. I work out with a personal trainer every other week. On the week's I'm not with my trainer, I do reformer-based Pilates. I do a combination of aerobics and strength training when I go to the gym. Since we signed up for the 5ks as a family, I've been using 30 minutes of running as my aerobics using the Couch to 5k program.

Like I said, I don't like running, but I'm too stubborn to quit before the race.

Next week, I have two fencing lessons set up (had a daughter who fences, but can't use her private lessons due to school conflicts before they expire) so I'm going to learn something new.

Exercising is a lot easier once you've gotten some weight off. But you have to get your head in the right place and make it a priority - it's got to be like going to the doctor or some other appointment you can't cancel because it will harm your health. You can do this!

My Aunt got the lapband at 56 year olds because the weight was causing too much pain on her joints and her back. She had no motivation to exercise neither, mainly due to the pain she felt every step she took. She however, started to doing little things:

Walking down the street, going around the corner, walking to the supermarket.

She was not a healthy woman and yet her surgery went extremely well. She stated that the hardest part was getting started. However, once she got started, you could not stop her lol. She is now 62 years old and she is still losing weight and trying to live a healthy lifestyle.

1 hour ago, Thejeweledsleeve said:

My Aunt got the lapband at 56 year olds because the weight was causing too much pain on her joints and her back. She had no motivation to exercise neither, mainly due to the pain she felt every step she took. She however, started to doing little things:

Walking down the street, going around the corner, walking to the supermarket.

She was not a healthy woman and yet her surgery went extremely well. She stated that the hardest part was getting started. However, once she got started, you could not stop her lol. She is now 62 years old and she is still losing weight and trying to live a healthy lifestyle.

What a great story!

I had my RNY at the age of 54 - last October. I was looking at two knee replacements due to arthritis and decided getting the weight off was a better choice than trying to recovery from knee surgery at my weight. I took 5 weeks off from work (I have a great Short Term Disability plan) but in addition to the RNY I had my gall bladder removed and an umbilical hernia repaired. The first couple of weeks were difficult - but by week 4 I was feeling pretty good.

I was already working with a personal trainer 2x a week so I've just kept up with that and I also have a recumbent bike I ride a couple of times a week. I'm moving so much better now. Can walk through the grocery store and not feel knee and back pain like before. Co-workers comment on how fast I walk now!

This is the best thing I've done for myself in a long time. Wish I had done it 20 years ago!

I was 55 when I had my RNY in January 2016. When I started the journey six months earlier, I weighed 275 -- not the highest weight in my life but pretty close. I couldn't walk around the block without my back hurting.

My surgery was on a Wednesday. I was home on thursday and back working the following week. I was tired but had no real complications. I've always been healthy and have healed quickly.

I have lost almost 120 pounds. And I've turned into a fitness nut. :-) The two things just kind of went together. You have to start of slowly. The place i had my surgery has a trainer, who has been great. She gave me very realistic exercises and helped me gradually work up to higher levels. Now I lift weights three to four days a week and walk about 15,000 steps a day as well as ride a mountain bike.

Don't worry too much. Follow your doctors instructions. And cut yourself some slack. Don't expect to run a 5K in a month. If you can walk around the block in a month, that's awesome!

I have no doubt that it is the best decision I ever made.

IMG_20160107_155600.jpg

IMG_20170105_162658.jpg

@Eva Aycock Sent you a PM.

Edited by Postop

Thank you, WOW.