Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it just me or does anyone else have "hollow" days?

I will be 8 weeks post-op tomorrow. I have been released to exercise every other day and to eat a full, regular diet. I work out every other day on a Total Gym and I walk 5 miles a day. I am still very careful not to eat certain things... I avoid soft, doughy breads... so I don't eat sandwiches or wraps or burgers, etc... I also don't eat ground beef, nuts, popcorn, chips, stringy fruits or veggies, raw fruits or veggies, salads, corn, or anything breaded/battered or fried etc. What I do eat is almost entirely: toasted bread with Peanut Butter, scrambled eggs, cooked onions, bell peppers, & mushrooms, with grilled chicken or steak, oven roasted pork loin on occasion, and sometimes mashed potatoes or cooked green Beans. I also eat wheat crackers, soft, spreadable cheeses, yogurt, sugar free popsicles, and sometimes I try to stave off my hunger with Protein Shakes. I drink Water, Gatorade, and Vitamin water and occasionally lifewater... but NEVER soda or anything like that.

Yes, I said HUNGER... real, honest to goodness hunger AND head hunger AND cravings hunger... because I have almost NO restriction unless I eat too much too fast. If I take my time I feel like I can eat almost anything I want to in whatever quantity I want - or so I assume, I don't push the issue of force it or over eat on purpose... BUT it feels like I could if I wanted to and that worries me because sometimes I have "hollow days" - days where NOTHING I eat makes me feel full or satisfied and I am CRAVING something I can neither name nor define. These days there is nothing I can do to make myself stop stalking into the kitchen every 10 minutes looking to graze. I try to make the choices I make during these hollow days something that isn't bad for me - sugar free popsicles... fruit... that sort of thing... but sometimes I am giving in to 5 or 6 club crackers... half a dark chocolate candy bar... ice cream... and it's almost impossible to stop, no matter how much I realize I shouldn't be doing it.

I have been stuck at this same weight for 2 weeks - gaining and losing the same pound over and over again by ounces every day. Today I FINALLY got past that number and went one pound down... but I had a hollow day today and I fear the scale tomorrow morning already :-(

Is it just me or does anyone else have this issue already? I hear people say a couple of YEARS out from surgery this happens and they need to do a "reset" and try to get back on track but I am only 2 months out... this shouldn't be happening to me, should it??

There are certainly things on your list I would definitely ditch. If nothing else the Gatorade should go. I think you are sabotaging yourself with the carbs and definitely with the dessert foods. Every time you eat those foods you are resetting yourself to bad eating habits, plus you are bound to feel crappy if you yo-yo between high carb days and low carb days. I would think about seeing a nutritionist and getting a meal plan together. On the bright side it looks like you have lost almost half the weight you wanted to already!

On a side note I am shocked you can physically eat steak without issue at 8 weeks out.

Navigating, like I said - I feel almost no restriction at all anymore. To me, everyone else having so much issue getting anything down is the shocker - because I can eat anything and be just fine.

Today for Breakfast all I had was hot teat with a splash of milk and Splenda... for lunch it was about a quarter cup of grilled strips of chicken and steak with diced bell peppers, onions and mushrooms plus 5 blueberries, 4 blackberries, 6 grapes and a strawberry. Then dinner was about and eighth of a cup of steak (I couldn't eat much of it - the cheap cuts we can afford are often too tough or chewy) plus more blueberries, grapes, strawberries and blackberries. Then an hour later I had a sugar free popsicle. I had the same fruits as a snack in the evening, then about an eighth of a cup of the lunch mixture (minus the fruits) just now because I felt so hungry. I don't often drink Gatorade and when I do it is the zero calorie G2... but I know what you mean about the carbs... it seems like over half my daily intake is carbs most days - but a lot of that is from fruits and veggies and while I know my Protein intake needs to be pretty high, my nutritionist wants me eating a well rounded diet that includes fruits, vegetables and grains - it's like, how am I supposed to get all that in when everyone says I should only be eating like a quarter to half a cup of food at a time 3 to 6 times a day? If I am supposed to eat only that amount all those times a day and keep it mostly meat, when will I get in my fruits, veggies, grains, etc?

I don't know why I stopped feeling much restriction, but the empty calories from the carbs are probably why I sometimes feel so very hungry. I guess I need to go back to eating only at 730, 1030, 130, 430, and 730 again and make it so I eat something at 3 of those times and drink a Protein Shake at the other 2 times... maybe if I am back to a couple Protein Shakes a day I can see if I can get back on track. I guess I got spoiled because until the last 2 weeks, I was losing weight the whole time no matter what stage of my diet I was in, and I thought, well I am just eating less at a time so if I am still losing weight by eating less at a time without much worry about WHAT I was eating, that I was doing okay. Apparently not :-P

I think you need more food, mostly Protein, and less fruit. For starters, eat breakfast! Have a Protein Shake, or a slice of cheese, or a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, or SOMETHING with protein in it! For lunch, eat a 1/4 to 1/3 cup of protein first, THEN have the veggies. If you have to have fruit, stick to the blackberries and raspberries- strawberries if you must- but skip the grapes. Find what fruits are lowest on the glycemic index and stick to those (but honestly, for my metabolism, eating fruit is just like eating cake). Do the same thing for dinner- eat a good serving of protein FIRST. THEN fill yourself with cooked veg or salads. I really think you are filling yourself up with too many things other than protein, not getting enough calories, so you always feel hungry and unsatisfied- and your body won't lose weight because it thinks it's starving.

I'm not an expert, but I am doing pretty well with my sleeve. I just had my 6 month visit and my surgeon says I am where they like to see people at a year; I've lost about 80% of my extra weight. Here's what I eat every day; maybe it'll help you get some new ideas of what and how to eat. Breakfast: Either a slice of cheese, a protein shake, or 1/4 to 1/3 cup of cottage cheese, and coffee (with half-n-half). I take a cup of coffee in the car, too. For morning snack, I have a slice of cheese, or a low calorie greek yogurt (sometimes made into a smoothie with unsweetened almond milk- maybe 12 oz), or maybe 1T of Peanut Butter (not on anything, just the PB). Lunch is usually dinner leftovers, but I always make sure I have about 1/4 cup of protein, then the veggies. I usually cannot finish this, but I try to get the protein in first. If I don't have dinner leftovers, I'll make egg salad (I try to keep hard-boiled eggs in the fridge), or grab some of those pre-cooked chicken strips (try to keep on hand) or make tuna or chicken salad (I have cans of both proteins) and take about 1/4-1/3 cup of this. For a mid-afternoon snack, I'll make a mini-salad with some shredded cheese, or have about 20 peanuts, or maybe 3 green olives. Other Snacks might be about 4" of celery with either PB or cream cheese, or maybe a slice of deli meat. (We eat supper late, so I often need a snack around 4pm or I'll just graze and eat crap.) Supper is more of the same... protein first, then salad or veggies. I eat almost anything for protein... chicken, fish, pork, ground beef, meatballs (I can eat 2 or 3 one-ounce meatballs), shrimp, steak (I buy a very small "good" steak and cut it into pieces that are about 2"x3" and freeze them), lamb, eggs... just about anything. If I've made the protein in a casserole or sauce, I just scrape off as much of the sauce as possible. It tastes great, but I need to get that protein in first. SOMETIMES for supper, we go out for wings... I can eat about 3 pieces... or pizza, where I eat the toppings from one or 2 pieces. I don't usually snack at night, as dinner ends around 8 and I go to bed around 11, but if I do want an evening snack, I'll have sugar free popsicles, SF Jello, SF pudding (although not often), sometimes a cookie, about 2 tablespoons of ice cream, a little popcorn... something that is treat-like but I'm not eating enough of it, and not eating it regularly, so I don't really worry about it. I don't eat bread, rice, noodles, Pasta, potato, junk food (mostly... ), etc. Not too many grains, either, although Trader Joe's makes a terrific mixed grain hot Cereal that I like! I know I should eat more veggies, but I am usually just too full on the protein, and protein is most important.

Good luck- I think you can get yourself on track and feeling like you are really eating, not dieting (which is what your meal plans sound like to me!).

I had the hallow feeling the other day & made a post asking about starvation. I am 8 weeks this week but still strict on myself by not having carbs (except vegetables) You exercise a lot, I have a physical job & exercise in the gym about 2-3 times a week. That hallow feeling was me consuming very little calories & burning a lot.

I'd suggest for you to keep track of your food intake & exercise. I use the "Lose It" app & it tells me how much Protein, carbs, fats I've eaten & how many calories I burn through exercise, a day. Tracking everything you put in your mouth & your daily activity will give you the answer on why you have that hallow feeling.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 173 lbs
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

I use Samsung Health to track my exercise, steps and food. So I am keeping track of everything, trust me. I'm ingesting more carbs than Protein once in awhile which I'm sure contributes to the feeling ... and I am burning way more calories than I take in because most days I take in between 450 and 650 calories... but I walk a minimum of 5 miles a day, work my arms while I walk, and work out my legs and mid section every other day.

I haven't read all the posts so sorry if repeating. I get days like this when I don't have my shakes. Once it starts too there is no fixing it for the day. Focus on drinking Protein Shakes during 9-5 to help the evening snacking. Also, is your nutritionist one that works with strictly bariatric patients? If not, find one that does. I've never heard of grains being suggested so soon after surgery

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 7:12 PM, AGreenEyedWolf said:

... and I am burning way more calories than I take in because most days I take in between 450 and 650 calories... but I walk a minimum of 5 miles a day...

Oh Lordy! Increase those calories! Minimum of 1000/day. 1200+ probably would be better with that much exercise!

6 hours ago, jwinters19 said:

I've never heard of grains being suggested so soon after surgery

My plan allows oatmeal, cream of wheat, and grits the 4th week after surgery. I haven't tried any since I don't have the room.... but it is permitted, as are fruits, veggies, Peanut Butter, etc. (Pureed)

I guess some practices like patients to resume a normal diet as early as possible.

I am 6 months out and i get that feeling. Its maddening because it feels like i cant eat enough but at the same time i know im stuffed. I have never had a problem with restriction. In fact sometimes i feel like i may have more restriction that a lot of other people. Reading how much you can eat at 8wks out makes me wonder if my sleeve is extra small. I can barely get in 2oz of dense Protein. Forget adding veggies after. I would literally have to have veggies on the fork with my protein to get both in. But i do have days that i eat things that are unfavorable. Cookies and candy have been a weak spot for me lately. So im starting back on Keto or just low carb. I noticed the less carbs and sweet beverages i have the less i want them. If i drink just Water and my shake i wont want juice. But soon as i start sipping juice (even just crystal light) i want more and more then it goes to soda and thats when i have to pull back before it gets too hairy. Its a slippery slope. My nutritionist doesnt think i should be so strict but giving myself an inch is what got me to and kept me over 260lbs for years. I cant afford to let myself slip up during the best time for me to be changing my habbits and mindset. Maybe you can try strict keto for a bit and see if that helps. Having dense protein is the ONLY thing that will sufficiently fill me for a signficant amount of time. I dont need the other stuff. fruit is really a filler/slider because of the water. It will give the illusion of fullness but for me it passes relatively quickly and im left upset that i have to now eat again. Same with breads and similar carbs. I know its just mental because physically its not that comfortable for me to eat it so it makes no sense that i even bother. Definitely if nothing else try to make dense protein the bulk of your meal. If you can, go for the veggies but if you have enough protein in then the fruit and other things wont be an issue. I know this went on for a while. I hope i gave you some ideas and a little help.

I have pretty much NO restriction at all unless I eat too fast which results in me eating too much. As long as I take my time and remember to chew thoroughly and eat at a slower pace, I think I have realized that I can actually eat quite a bit at a time already and that worries me because it means when I have a "hollow day" I go from snack to snack to snack and have a hard time getting in more Protein than carbs.

My Snacks are usually things like blackberries - about a quarter to half a cup at a time, sometimes 3 to 4 times a day or a sugar free popsicle once in awhile. I almost never eat breakfast, because I am never hungry int he morning, but I always start the day with a cup of hot tea. In fact, as long as I stay away from home and stay busy, I don't feel hungry much at all during the day.

If I stay home and have nothing to do, though - that is when I start to feel "hollow" and have trouble NOT eating... lunch and dinner is almost always the same: about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese all run through my chopper and sort of stir fried in a touch of olive oil with seasonings... but once in awhile I eat whatever the family is having like a baked piece of flounder or a piece of boneless skinless chicken and whatever veggies are with it. I do avoid things like burgers, hotdogs, Pasta, rice, white breads, cakes, Cookies, donuts, etc and anything fried. But I have a hard time saying no to things like dark chocolate and ice cream and I have spreadable Swiss cheese on wheat thins as a snack in the evening at least 3 or 4 nights a week.

I have pretty much NO restriction at all unless I eat too fast which results in me eating too much. As long as I take my time and remember to chew thoroughly and eat at a slower pace, I think I have realized that I can actually eat quite a bit at a time already and that worries me because it means when I have a "hollow day" I go from snack to snack to snack and have a hard time getting in more Protein than carbs.
My Snacks are usually things like blackberries - about a quarter to half a cup at a time, sometimes 3 to 4 times a day or a sugar free popsicle once in awhile. I almost never eat breakfast, because I am never hungry int he morning, but I always start the day with a cup of hot tea. In fact, as long as I stay away from home and stay busy, I don't feel hungry much at all during the day.
If I stay home and have nothing to do, though - that is when I start to feel "hollow" and have trouble NOT eating... lunch and dinner is almost always the same: about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese all run through my chopper and sort of stir fried in a touch of olive oil with seasonings... but once in awhile I eat whatever the family is having like a baked piece of flounder or a piece of boneless skinless chicken and whatever veggies are with it. I do avoid things like burgers, hotdogs, Pasta, rice, white breads, cakes, Cookies, donuts, etc and anything fried. But I have a hard time saying no to things like dark chocolate and ice cream and I have spreadable Swiss cheese on wheat thins as a snack in the evening at least 3 or 4 nights a week.

It's hard to say no to our favorite foods but I can't imagine eating all the same foods that got me into this condition in the first place. I never want my body to look like this ever again and I know I will not eat crap after surgery because I am stronger than any food addiction and I can just say no to food like I did to drugs 7 years ago on April 13th, when I gave up drugs I turned to food and I can fight this food addiction the same way, ONE DAY AT A TIME.

My plan does not allow any fruits until 6 months out. Nutritionist reminds me constantly Protien first.