Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve and affects on baby

I had the sleeve done Jan 9, 2016. In July I found out I was pregnant... unplanned. I was a low BMI patient to start, about 31 BMI.

I am 35 weeks pregnant. Up until about 28 weeks I was doing fine and baby's ultrasounds were perfect. Then at 28 weeks I did the glucose test and apparently my results were high enough I didn't even need to bother doing the longer test, I was immediately diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I've been able to manage my blood sugar levels almost perfectly since, and I think it was probably a blessing in disguise since I've been eating much healthier since I was diagnosed. No insulin needed. I should mention, all along I was gaining weight on pace. Nothing the first trimester and then about a pound a week from 12-30 weeks. Since 30 weeks I've actually lost a pound or two, so I'm up around 16 lbs now. I'm short, only 5'1 though, so my doctor is fine with my weight gains. I do think I would have probably gained less had I eaten healthier right from the get-go, but the first trimester I was nauseous so relied on carbs. Then in the second trimester and with the holiday season I definitely treated myself more than I normally would have.

Anyways, that's sort of the background so far.

Last week I had my 34 week check up and my OB had my results for my 33 week ultrasound. Baby's femur is measuring in the 5th percentile. Rest of him is measuring fine. My fundal height is only one week behind. My Iron stores are low and I have to get an IV to make sure I'm absorbing enough.

All I can think of is - is this because I had the sleeve and now my poor baby is suffering because my body isn't able to absorb the proper nutrients?! After the sleeve my blood tests always came back fine and I had no poor reaction to the sleeve, but I can't help but blame myself for this now!

1 hour ago, mrs w said:

I had the sleeve done Jan 9, 2016. In July I found out I was pregnant... unplanned. I was a low BMI patient to start, about 31 BMI.

I am 35 weeks pregnant. Up until about 28 weeks I was doing fine and baby's ultrasounds were perfect. Then at 28 weeks I did the glucose test and apparently my results were high enough I didn't even need to bother doing the longer test, I was immediately diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I've been able to manage my blood sugar levels almost perfectly since, and I think it was probably a blessing in disguise since I've been eating much healthier since I was diagnosed. No insulin needed. I should mention, all along I was gaining weight on pace. Nothing the first trimester and then about a pound a week from 12-30 weeks. Since 30 weeks I've actually lost a pound or two, so I'm up around 16 lbs now. I'm short, only 5'1 though, so my doctor is fine with my weight gains. I do think I would have probably gained less had I eaten healthier right from the get-go, but the first trimester I was nauseous so relied on carbs. Then in the second trimester and with the holiday season I definitely treated myself more than I normally would have.

Anyways, that's sort of the background so far.

Last week I had my 34 week check up and my OB had my results for my 33 week ultrasound. Baby's femur is measuring in the 5th percentile. Rest of him is measuring fine. My fundal height is only one week behind. My Iron stores are low and I have to get an IV to make sure I'm absorbing enough.

All I can think of is - is this because I had the sleeve and now my poor baby is suffering because my body isn't able to absorb the proper nutrients?! After the sleeve my blood tests always came back fine and I had no poor reaction to the sleeve, but I can't help but blame myself for this now!

It might sound cold, but I would too. (to the bold)

I'm skeptical that:

1) you didn't know you were pregnant for almost 6 months (~25 weeks)

2) you had no blood tests or anything that relates to pregnancy? no missed periods? no side effects or anything that are indicators? (between August and January)

So my belief is you likely knew you were pregnant (or at minimum would logically suspect it) and went along with the surgery. It should have been postponed. I don't really sympathize.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Umm.. I think Eleventy didn't look at the dates. Sigh.

It sounds like you have been doing everything great! I had high blood pressure with my first pregnancy and it made the baby small. (5th percentile). After birth she gained weight like crazy and has been perfectly healthy since.

What does a short femur mean? Hard to say. It might not mean anything! If your doctor is concerned about the intrauterine environment, he/she will say something.

I'm sure everything will be fine!

Ok, did a little bit of research, and most of the time it just means a small baby. You are a small Mom. It is to be expected.

Congrats on the upcoming bundle!

It might sound cold, but I would too. (to the bold)
I'm skeptical that:
1) you didn't know you were pregnant for almost 6 months (~25 weeks)
2) you had no blood tests or anything that relates to pregnancy? no missed periods? no side effects or anything that are indicators? (between August and January)
So my belief is you likely knew you were pregnant (or at minimum would logically suspect it) and went along with the surgery. It should have been postponed. I don't really sympathize.

I'm not asking for sympathy, but you clearly misread the above. I got pregnant 7 months after my surgery... maybe before you post a response basically calling someone a liar, you should know what you're talking about...

how did everything progress?? how are you and baby doing?