Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really struggling and need a boost!

Hi,

8 weeks post op down 51 pounds.....thrilled with the loss.

I have followed my pre/post diets to the letter. I'm at the stage where I am able to introduce anything into my diet. For some reason I have had the worst cravings the last 2 or 3 days. I haven't introduced anything except more Protein variety....and spinach yesterday!

Being real with myself that this lifestyle is not doable long term.....3 meals no Snacks. Able to eat 1-2 ounces per meal. I'm trying to be as strong as I can as long as I can to get the most off. Please give me your best way to move beyond the intense cravings.

8 weeks post-op!

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein shakes.

One thing to do now at this stage is to assess your protein intake. Your protein requirement is met by a combination of the protein from your meals combined with the protein from your supplements (protein shakes, protein bars). Since your meal volume is beginning to increase, that also means that the amount of protein from meals is increasing, especially if you concentrate on consuming high protein meals. Therefore you could be able to reduce your reliance on supplements and the calories they contain. I went from 3 Protein Shakes a day, down to 2, then 1 and finally zero when my meal volume increased to 1 cup per meal at a year and a half.

I found that softer foods such as chili and Soups went down much easier than harder food such as steak, so I relied on them. I have included some recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Should specify that I had a sleeve...sorry. I'm meeting my Protein and fluid goals most days. I'm trying to figure out a way to stave off cravings and keep m asking good choices.

I had a few cheese crackers and hummus tonight and that satisfied the spicy craving!!

How many calories are you eating?

I eat 4 to 6 times a day to meet my Protein goals. I had to especially early on when I did not have a lot of capacity. I know a lot of doctors say 3 meals a day and no Snacks but that seems completely unrealistic for WLS patients. There is no way to meet your Protein goals on 3 meals a day with real food. I am 19 months post-op and I can't meet my protein goals on 3 meals a day (granted my protein goal is higher than most people, but I would still struggle to hit 60 on 3 meals a day).

How many grams of protein are you able to get in like that I doubt you are getting the bare minimum of 60?

You are basically starving, no wonder you are having head hunger cravings. I would add to additional meals of pure dense protein. Crackers and hummus are counter productive to your weight loss goals.

My NUT has us eating 5 meals daily - every 3 to 4 hours. 3 meals a day with no Snacks is unrealistic.

Do you feel full after only 1-2 ounces? That seems like a mighty small portion even at 8 weeks out. I'm 4 weeks and can typically do 4-5 oz without too much trouble. Some foods do sit heavier and can't eat as much, but I'd say 4 oz is typical for me at this point.

The worry about constant snacking is that it'll just lead to old bad habits. My doc is the same way in that he wants 3 meals a day and that's it, but at this point I can't get all my Protein in either. I aim for 3-4 meals and have to supplement with a Protein shake. I think it'll get a bit easier when you can eat more. Obviously don't force yourself to eat more and end up feeling sick. You may want to talk with your doc if 2 oz is the most you can manage.

My NUT has us eating 5 meals daily - every 3 to 4 hours. 3 meals a day with no Snacks is unrealistic.

I think no Snacks is crazy too. I get the choice to relearn these healthy habits. Healthy snacking is a habit too. However, I've not snacked because I'm chicken I'll mess up! My docs reasoning is to get as much weight off initially. But, lifelong, there is no way I can sustain this?

My NUT has solid reasoning for the 5 mini - meals a day:

1. You can't eat enough Protein on 3 meals a day.

2. The stomach empties in 3 hours. If you only eat every 6 - 8 hours you will be starving. Eating every 3-4 hours helps to keep your blood sugar stable. However, no snacking in between the mini-meals. Extra food will be stored not used.

3. Eating Protein at every meal keeps you feeling full longer because it takes longer to digest dense Proteins. Layering food - having protein, fat and aou good carb also helps with keeping hunger at bay

3 meals a day at 8 weeks?

Im still on 5 or 6 meals a day at 18 months!!

I would re-think that one.

Kate

I'm 16 weeks out and I eat 6 meals a day. I will go hangry mad with anything less. LOL

I eat 7-8 times per day, about 2 hours apart. This has served me well in my almost 5 months post-op.

Thanks for the validation that this isn't sustainable long term. I have an appt with the NUT coming soon and will discuss further. I'm willing to work a program but it's gotta be liveable. I am getting 500ish calories per day.

I'm a super disciplined person and this is really testing me.....pushing fluids today seems to be helping the hunger.

4 hours ago, blizair09 said:

I eat 7-8 times per day, about 2 hours apart. This has served me well in my almost 5 months post-op.

7-8 times a day ... bliss ! :P