Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared about MGB, any insight??



Recommended Posts

Hi all, I have decided I'm going with Dr. Illan as my surgeon. I live in the US, and will be traveling to Tijuana. His rep suggested I go the MGB due to reflux, not to mention it seems like it will help me lose weight faster and prevent me from regaining later on. My concern is, where I live the MGB is not very common. I am concerned about finding a Dr. who can help me if any complications arise.

I told my dad I was going to MX for surgery and he FLIPPED, he doesn't want me to go so I have to go behind his back and do it anyway. (I'm 24, but still I don't like keeping secrets.) I have heard of amazing experiences in Mexico, but I can't help but be scared.

I would be very interested in hearing everyones' experiences, and if anyone has used Dr. Illan. Anything to calm my nerves would be great. I have my best friend for support, but my family is 100% NOT on board at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! So you're 2 years younger than me, so I feel a kinship with you on that, haha. Dr. Illan was my surgeon, and while I did go with the sleeve, one of the other women who was on the same day as me had the MGB done and I've kept track of her progress on the Facebook group page and she's been doing fantastic. Dr. Illan and his entire team are great. You and whoever goes with you will be taken care of the entire time you're there. If something happens while you're there, they'll see to it to get it all taken care of. Now, stateside, most PCP's will have some knowledge of these surgeries. They aren't/won't be experts, but they should still be able to help. I'd suggest reaching out to your PCP ahead of time and let them know what you're planning. They don't need to approve, just be aware and make sure they'll support you post-op. Typically all that's needed post-op wise is blood work to ensure your Vitamin and nutrition levels. If anything else should arise, if they cannot help you, there has to be someone around that could. As well as I know Dr. Illan will still do phone/Skype calls to address anything too.

As for your dad, it's unfortunate he's not supportive. I know most people's first thoughts about going to Mexico is botched surgeries, yadda yadda, but as long as you do your research (which sounds like you have), you'll end up in good hands. It's about you and your health, and he's likely just scared because he doesn't know anything/much about the procedure, the doctor, the hospital, etc. There is a thread in the Mexico forum where Bill Yanez has posted MANY video testimonials from Dr. Illan's patients. It's something that could help ease your mind, and if your dad was ever open to doing so, even his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just take care of yourself. I have been working with a place in TJ for the MGB and I just read my paperwork and it says that I am scheduled for a mini RNY. Pretty certain they are two different surgeries.....so make sure you read your paperwork and are scheduled to get EXACTLY what you request

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2017 at 10:36 AM, tizv123 said:

Just take care of yourself. I have been working with a place in TJ for the MGB and I just read my paperwork and it says that I am scheduled for a mini RNY. Pretty certain they are two different surgeries.....so make sure you read your paperwork and are scheduled to get EXACTLY what you request

Hi,

Mini RNY doesn't exist, there is the MGB (one anastomosis) and the RYGB (full bypass, 2 anastomosis).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had both the sleeve and the revision to mgb in Tijuana. With the sleeve my father was so worried about me going there (I was 42 years old) that he went with me. He was very impressed with how clean everything was and how well I was taken care of. He and my daughter were also very well cared for. So when I returned for the mgb he felt ok about me going there again. My fiancé had refused to go the first time because he was so worried and didn't want me doing it there but he went the second time after hearing how great it was. Do what's best for you and don't let anyone stand in your way. This is your life and your health. If you have acid reflux go with the mgb and if you have a good Dr. in the U.S. he will support you. If he doesn't, get a new Dr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, bikerchick519 said:

I've had both the sleeve and the revision to mgb in Tijuana. With the sleeve my father was so worried about me going there (I was 42 years old) that he went with me. He was very impressed with how clean everything was and how well I was taken care of. He and my daughter were also very well cared for. So when I returned for the mgb he felt ok about me going there again. My fiancé had refused to go the first time because he was so worried and didn't want me doing it there but he went the second time after hearing how great it was. Do what's best for you and don't let anyone stand in your way. This is your life and your health. If you have acid reflux go with the mgb and if you have a good Dr. in the U.S. he will support you. If he doesn't, get a new Dr.

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

curious....bikerchic...who did you go to in Mexico?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/02/2017 at 10:06 PM, whitneyisfab said:

Hi all, I have decided I'm going with Dr. Illan as my surgeon. I live in the US, and will be traveling to Tijuana. His rep suggested I go the MGB due to reflux, not to mention it seems like it will help me lose weight faster and prevent me from regaining later on. My concern is, where I live the MGB is not very common. I am concerned about finding a Dr. who can help me if any complications arise.

I told my dad I was going to MX for surgery and he FLIPPED, he doesn't want me to go so I have to go behind his back and do it anyway. (I'm 24, but still I don't like keeping secrets.) I have heard of amazing experiences in Mexico, but I can't help but be scared.

I would be very interested in hearing everyones' experiences, and if anyone has used Dr. Illan. Anything to calm my nerves would be great. I have my best friend for support, but my family is 100% NOT on board at all.

Hi :)
I am surprised to read you are having the MGB 'due to reflux'. Here in England, reflux seems to be a disqualifying condition for the MGB. The stomach pouch which is created in the process turns your stomach into a 'higher pressure valve' which is unsuitable for someone with exisiting reflux issues (this is according to my surgeon). I never had reflux issues so I had the MGB and now I suddenly do suffer from occasional reflux and indigestion/heartburn.
My friend who is using the same surgeon as me has a history of reflux issues and has therefore had to have the RNY bypass.

Please do some research and find the ideal surgery for you. It is too expensive and too much of a trauma to end up with the wrong procedure for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had MGB and my doctor insisted I would not have any acid reflux . After the surgery I have had acid reflux . He thinks its because had I a bleeding ulcer and was rushed back into surgery.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 18/02/2017 at 10:58 AM, tanyamann32 said:

I had MGB and my doctor insisted I would not have any acid reflux . After the surgery I have had acid reflux . He thinks its because had I a bleeding ulcer and was rushed back into surgery.


re: reflux - that's the total opposite from what my surgeon said to me... and I know that my friend wanted a MGB also but was told she could not have it due to her history of reflux issues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From: http://www.obesitycoverage.com/mini-gastric-bypass-the-good-bad-and-ugly/

ADDITIONAL RISKS WITH MINI-GASTRIC BYPASS COMPARED TO GASTRIC BYPASS

  1. Severe acid-reflux. Because the pouch is small and the remainder of the stomach is still connected to the intestines. It is possible for gastric juices to travel down the intestines and into the new pouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only comment on what my surgeon told me. He said that the sleeve and the MGB are similar with regards to the remaining stomach - both are a high pressured valves which can cause acid to leak.

I'm not wanting to tell you what to do - I just feel this is important info and once you go ahead with a surgery, you are going to be stuck with it (unless if you decide to go for another afterwards). Getting all the info beforehand is vital!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2017 at 10:23 AM, tizv123 said:

curious....bikerchic...who did you go to in Mexico?

I was scheduled with Dr. Illan but he had an emergency surgery himself that morning and gave me the option to fly home and come back later or have Dr. Zavalza do my surgery. I'd already taken the time off work and knew I couldn't come back so I trusted him that Dr. Zavalza would do a good job. 11 months out and so far so good other than a little heart burn or acid reflux lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • GothGal

      Started mushies on Thursday.  Had to remind myself to eat slowly.....you fill up fast!;
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

      2 Days Till Surgery!   It's time! Time to start my clear liquids! I am prepared! Tomorrow I will only take in clear protein, bone broth and jello for the next two days.   My surgery will be done on Monday, December 9th at 8:00 AM. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM (EWWW) but who cares? LOL. Funny how you don't get all upset about doing things that are not so fun when you are doing it for a purpose! . I don't plan on doing much this weekend. I have one errand to do and after that is over I will return to my hotel room and go into prayer and meditation. Believer or not, you got to do what you need to do in order to get your heart and mind in a healthy place. . I have a Pre-Op drink I ordered that is supposed to really help your body hydrate before surgery. It's not in the photo just because I don't have it in my hands yet. I will put photos of it up when I get it. . All I can think about it how blessed I am to be able to get this done. I know how it feels to be healthy and happy then have it snatched away. It makes this all the more joyful for me. . So, it's time to lay it down and start letting my mind process what we are getting ready to do. . By the way...funny story. My doc said he had to cancel a surgery because his patient said she thought "Mashed Potatoes" was a clear food! Um, there will be no mashed potatoes for me! LOL This is HAPPENING! . Last thought for today: I knew when they drew my blood yesterday it was going to leave a nasty bruise and I was right. I am so sensitive to that kind of stuff.  


      · 2 replies
      1. Billy Bob

        That photo looks like one of my phlebotomy jobs. lol

      2. Billy Bob

        YOU GO GIRL !

    • Krestel

      Cold no.2 since surgery. The funny part is now Ive lost my voice. I feel better in my sinuses now, but my voice is 90% gone. Losing your voice as a person who talks as a teacher for a living is so funny. You feel normal and when you speak, nothing comes out. I hope it goes over by Monday, but if it doesn't oh well. Ill be at school and cant talk to the students. Oh gee darn.
      · 2 replies
      1. SabrinaGoddess

        I hope it gets better. I sing and I know how it is to lose your voice. I always get scared that it won't come back. LOL but it always does. Try Fisherman's Friend. It's nasty but it works. You can find it on amazon.

      2. Krestel

        Ohh..I love fisherman's friend..especially the sugar-free ones. Here, we can get it in all the shops. They are strong though.

    • allwet

      Got my haircut today and its always amazing how much better i feel afterwards.
      i have always considered it an odd thing that i enjoy a haircut so much.
      The smell of the barbershop (no salons allowed) and the whole scissors and clippers feel and sound is so relaxing.
      I have had the same barber since 1987 and i am not sure how i will handle it if that guy ever dares to die on me. I am pretty sure that the magazines on the bottom of the stack are the same ones from my first visit.
      just started Ron Powers -Mark Twain Biography- enjoying it
       
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Gthom33

      Good Morning! Today is the first day of my liver shrinking diet!  It is hard being in the office and in my classes thinking about my old habits. But surgery is so close so can't complain too much! !10 days away!! Here we go. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×