Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared about MGB, any insight??



Recommended Posts

Hi all, I have decided I'm going with Dr. Illan as my surgeon. I live in the US, and will be traveling to Tijuana. His rep suggested I go the MGB due to reflux, not to mention it seems like it will help me lose weight faster and prevent me from regaining later on. My concern is, where I live the MGB is not very common. I am concerned about finding a Dr. who can help me if any complications arise.

I told my dad I was going to MX for surgery and he FLIPPED, he doesn't want me to go so I have to go behind his back and do it anyway. (I'm 24, but still I don't like keeping secrets.) I have heard of amazing experiences in Mexico, but I can't help but be scared.

I would be very interested in hearing everyones' experiences, and if anyone has used Dr. Illan. Anything to calm my nerves would be great. I have my best friend for support, but my family is 100% NOT on board at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! So you're 2 years younger than me, so I feel a kinship with you on that, haha. Dr. Illan was my surgeon, and while I did go with the sleeve, one of the other women who was on the same day as me had the MGB done and I've kept track of her progress on the Facebook group page and she's been doing fantastic. Dr. Illan and his entire team are great. You and whoever goes with you will be taken care of the entire time you're there. If something happens while you're there, they'll see to it to get it all taken care of. Now, stateside, most PCP's will have some knowledge of these surgeries. They aren't/won't be experts, but they should still be able to help. I'd suggest reaching out to your PCP ahead of time and let them know what you're planning. They don't need to approve, just be aware and make sure they'll support you post-op. Typically all that's needed post-op wise is blood work to ensure your Vitamin and nutrition levels. If anything else should arise, if they cannot help you, there has to be someone around that could. As well as I know Dr. Illan will still do phone/Skype calls to address anything too.

As for your dad, it's unfortunate he's not supportive. I know most people's first thoughts about going to Mexico is botched surgeries, yadda yadda, but as long as you do your research (which sounds like you have), you'll end up in good hands. It's about you and your health, and he's likely just scared because he doesn't know anything/much about the procedure, the doctor, the hospital, etc. There is a thread in the Mexico forum where Bill Yanez has posted MANY video testimonials from Dr. Illan's patients. It's something that could help ease your mind, and if your dad was ever open to doing so, even his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just take care of yourself. I have been working with a place in TJ for the MGB and I just read my paperwork and it says that I am scheduled for a mini RNY. Pretty certain they are two different surgeries.....so make sure you read your paperwork and are scheduled to get EXACTLY what you request

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2017 at 10:36 AM, tizv123 said:

Just take care of yourself. I have been working with a place in TJ for the MGB and I just read my paperwork and it says that I am scheduled for a mini RNY. Pretty certain they are two different surgeries.....so make sure you read your paperwork and are scheduled to get EXACTLY what you request

Hi,

Mini RNY doesn't exist, there is the MGB (one anastomosis) and the RYGB (full bypass, 2 anastomosis).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had both the sleeve and the revision to mgb in Tijuana. With the sleeve my father was so worried about me going there (I was 42 years old) that he went with me. He was very impressed with how clean everything was and how well I was taken care of. He and my daughter were also very well cared for. So when I returned for the mgb he felt ok about me going there again. My fiancé had refused to go the first time because he was so worried and didn't want me doing it there but he went the second time after hearing how great it was. Do what's best for you and don't let anyone stand in your way. This is your life and your health. If you have acid reflux go with the mgb and if you have a good Dr. in the U.S. he will support you. If he doesn't, get a new Dr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, bikerchick519 said:

I've had both the sleeve and the revision to mgb in Tijuana. With the sleeve my father was so worried about me going there (I was 42 years old) that he went with me. He was very impressed with how clean everything was and how well I was taken care of. He and my daughter were also very well cared for. So when I returned for the mgb he felt ok about me going there again. My fiancé had refused to go the first time because he was so worried and didn't want me doing it there but he went the second time after hearing how great it was. Do what's best for you and don't let anyone stand in your way. This is your life and your health. If you have acid reflux go with the mgb and if you have a good Dr. in the U.S. he will support you. If he doesn't, get a new Dr.

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

curious....bikerchic...who did you go to in Mexico?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2017 at 10:06 PM, whitneyisfab said:

Hi all, I have decided I'm going with Dr. Illan as my surgeon. I live in the US, and will be traveling to Tijuana. His rep suggested I go the MGB due to reflux, not to mention it seems like it will help me lose weight faster and prevent me from regaining later on. My concern is, where I live the MGB is not very common. I am concerned about finding a Dr. who can help me if any complications arise.

I told my dad I was going to MX for surgery and he FLIPPED, he doesn't want me to go so I have to go behind his back and do it anyway. (I'm 24, but still I don't like keeping secrets.) I have heard of amazing experiences in Mexico, but I can't help but be scared.

I would be very interested in hearing everyones' experiences, and if anyone has used Dr. Illan. Anything to calm my nerves would be great. I have my best friend for support, but my family is 100% NOT on board at all.

Hi :)
I am surprised to read you are having the MGB 'due to reflux'. Here in England, reflux seems to be a disqualifying condition for the MGB. The stomach pouch which is created in the process turns your stomach into a 'higher pressure valve' which is unsuitable for someone with exisiting reflux issues (this is according to my surgeon). I never had reflux issues so I had the MGB and now I suddenly do suffer from occasional reflux and indigestion/heartburn.
My friend who is using the same surgeon as me has a history of reflux issues and has therefore had to have the RNY bypass.

Please do some research and find the ideal surgery for you. It is too expensive and too much of a trauma to end up with the wrong procedure for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had MGB and my doctor insisted I would not have any acid reflux . After the surgery I have had acid reflux . He thinks its because had I a bleeding ulcer and was rushed back into surgery.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/02/2017 at 10:58 AM, tanyamann32 said:

I had MGB and my doctor insisted I would not have any acid reflux . After the surgery I have had acid reflux . He thinks its because had I a bleeding ulcer and was rushed back into surgery.


re: reflux - that's the total opposite from what my surgeon said to me... and I know that my friend wanted a MGB also but was told she could not have it due to her history of reflux issues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From: http://www.obesitycoverage.com/mini-gastric-bypass-the-good-bad-and-ugly/

ADDITIONAL RISKS WITH MINI-GASTRIC BYPASS COMPARED TO GASTRIC BYPASS

  1. Severe acid-reflux. Because the pouch is small and the remainder of the stomach is still connected to the intestines. It is possible for gastric juices to travel down the intestines and into the new pouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only comment on what my surgeon told me. He said that the sleeve and the MGB are similar with regards to the remaining stomach - both are a high pressured valves which can cause acid to leak.

I'm not wanting to tell you what to do - I just feel this is important info and once you go ahead with a surgery, you are going to be stuck with it (unless if you decide to go for another afterwards). Getting all the info beforehand is vital!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2017 at 10:23 AM, tizv123 said:

curious....bikerchic...who did you go to in Mexico?

I was scheduled with Dr. Illan but he had an emergency surgery himself that morning and gave me the option to fly home and come back later or have Dr. Zavalza do my surgery. I'd already taken the time off work and knew I couldn't come back so I trusted him that Dr. Zavalza would do a good job. 11 months out and so far so good other than a little heart burn or acid reflux lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • WeGettingThere

      Hey all! So I went in for my weight management class. I thought that would be my last one but I actually have to wait until the nutritionist clears me. She has to decide if I'm ready. I''m not mad at it. It looks like my surgery will be happening in the summertime. So instead of focusing on the surgery date, I'm putting my energy into losing weight and making sure all these appointments are taken care of. It feels like doing mini quests on a video game before trying to fight the BIG BOSS. I'm not ready for the BIG BOSS yet. haha. Feeling pretty good! 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Goody222  »  Dana me

      Me too! I am following the plan. How about you?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jobber

      Finished my 6th and final NUT appointment yesterday.  Everything is done except the psych eval and submittal to insurance.  I did everything required of me including the 100 pages plus of food tracking, I lost 5% of my total weight, and I went to every NUT appointment.  
      Hoping for the best, things seem to be lining up well for me and in the end, I think I will be able to fully have my wife on board with this whole thing.  She says she is, but I know she doesn't think I should do it.  Just like I replied to another post earlier, i'm doing this either way, it's my decision at this point and I know I can get her to come around at some point and maybe even convince her to look into it as well.
      Also, I just started with an APAP machine a couple weeks ago and "holy sh*t" has my quality of life improved greatly so far.  I wish I had looked into this years ago.  I didn't think I had apnea until I had the study done and i stopped breathing an average of 12 times an hour.  That's nuts...
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AshMarie794

      1 year anniversary from the start of my journey. My very first apt with my surgeon. At my highest weight. And then now, post op 5 1/2 months. Life feels amazing and everything has changed. couldn't feel better! Down 100 lbs!!!! Seems crazy.....

      · 3 replies
      1. Chrisb428

        You look amazing, congrats!

      2. AshMarie794

        Thank you!

      3. GradyCat

        Way to go!

    • Aeasterling

      I'm 13 years out from having weight loss surgery. I would have to say it was the best choice I have ever made. I have been successful BUT now I'm feeling like I'm sliding back and getting comfortable with old eating habits. I absolutely do not want to ever go back to where I came from. I'm just needing support and some pointers to get me focused again. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. Carbs After Bariatric Surgery?

      Posted in: Food & Nutrition
      Lisa Kaouk, RD & Monica Bashaw, RD
    2. New Year’s Resolutions

      Posted in: Support
      Alex Brecher
    3. Go With Your Gut!

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Louisa Latela, LCSW, LCADC
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×