Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much?

Hi you guys!!

Thanks for all your help!! Got banded 9/17. Suffered a lot days 1 and 2 with gas/bloating and a general feeling of what in the world did I do to myself. I was off my pain meds...but the bloating and discomfort was HORRID!.

Ok so now its been a week...forget liquids i've been eating normal (well not steaks and chicken etc) but like rice and went to chipotle etc...no problems. Eating a little less..chewing a lot more but still do I already need a fill..??am i going to strech my pouch...??

I ate some pasta...and it went down fine.

I am ready to start eating less....

I went back to work today...just dont want to get back into the same old mode of eating....

was everyone here on total liquids...did no one start on solids late 1st week?

Thanks.

Meg

Did your doctor say that was ok??? You need time to heal so it is important to follow the schedule the doctor gives you. Good luck. Donna

i'm day 10 post op and well, i had a lil bit of brocolli rice casserole today and yea i chewed it into an oblivion, but still...the rice went down fine and stayed down and i didn't have any discomfort at all.

i also ate piece of a meatball....which was the first meat i've had since the surgery....i decided that i could eat a tiny bit and chew chew chew and it'd basically be like mush....went down fine.

of course, all this to say i couldn't eat much, but just a lil taste of this and that - - - i was at a luncheon that followed a funeral, with a full spray of food - - - - but i was picky and careful to get things i thought were considered soft. steered clear of the ribs and corn and stuff like that. just couldn't pass up the broccoli rice casserole.

i think i'm doing okay.....any suggestions??? are the things i ate not considered a "mushy" ????

Are you guys INSANE?

Lordy, I would guess hazeleye isn't doing quite so bad, but the OP...OMG why on EARTH would you risk your band like this?

Yes you can, we all have to do it, and you CAN do this!!!!

I've written something like this before on other threads. If we were pregnant and our OB were to tell us that we could cause damage to our fetus unless we stayed on a strict liquid diet for four weeks, you'd better believe we'd have no problem staying on that diet. In fact most of us would probably stay on the liquid diet for even longer, just to be safe.

Why don't we care as much about ourselves?????

Why on earth do we "cheating" and risking our bands? Just because something goes down okay doesn't mean it isn't setting us up for damage later. The sutures are helping scar tissue form around the band and that's what holds it in place on our stomachs. The sutures only help hold it on the front, scar tissue is all that holds it on the back of the stomach. Everytime we eat something more than a liquid, (and no, chewing something until it's liquid does not count) it causes our stomachs to churn to digest that food. That churning stops the scar tissue from forming, or helps break new scar tissue just barely formed.

I understand that some doctors move folks along faster in their diet programs, that's okay if it's what your doctor says to do, but Allergan (the manufacturer of the band) advises a very slow progression.

Damage we do now freshly banded may not show up until a year or two down the line. Maybe we have a bad episode of vomiting and because we just couldn't wait to chew, we didn't get good adhesion of scar tissue early on, it may slip.

Really think about it, folks. If it were to protect an unborn life, we'd do anything. This band is the key to our new lives.

Perhaps insane was a bad choice of words, but I wanted to shake it up a bit. Have you been fat for only a few weeks? I know I've been fat for YEARS, why on earth can we not stick for a few measly little tiny weeks to an eating plan designed to help our new lease on life heal in the proper place? Jsut because it went down fine doesn't mean it will be fine later.

BTW, perhaps my surgeon was strict, but he said no Pasta or rice for THREE MONTHS. Too sticky. (I ate Pasta at about 6 weeks out, though-it was the Protein whole grain kind, so it wasn't white flour sticky stuff.)

Thanks faithmd! I am not banded yet but I was never completely sure what the purpose of the liquid diet for so long was, especially when people kept talking about how they could eat solids so soon after. I'm the type of person who needs to know the reasoning behind something to scare the crap out of me and make me follow the rules..and you did it! I'll be sticking to the liquid diet for sure when I'm banded.

Elizabeth

meg

I had my surgury 09-18 and I cannot start mushy foods until 10-3. I need to be on full liquids until then. As I have read it looks like some doctors have different opinions on what you should eat I would go by the diet your doctor put you on.

Jennifer

Hi This is Linda E. I was banded 9/11/07 Heres what my dr. told me. The 1st week afer surgery eat liquids only(broth,cream of wheat,jello,juice, creamed strained soups) The next 2 weeks go ahead and add eggs, chicken,turkey,lean meats cottage cheese gradually chew very well and only eat 1/2 cup (meal size) no raw vegetables or cooked broccoli,cabbage. By the 4 th week try all foods except gas producing foods. My dr. said no rice, Pasta or bread for awhile because they might get stuck.Im only starting my 3rd week.. Feel free to e-mail me if you want to chat good luck to every one. LINDA@KLAYMANPANTS.COM

I know how u feel about eating too much. That's exactly how I feel. I am 2 weeks po and I am allowed to eat normal food...that means I am allowed to eat ANYTHING!

I have still kept it to just mushies & Soups though, bc I don't really feel too comfortable starting to eat regular foods just yet. However, I have had a bite of a turkey sandwich and that went down fine and I have been eating lots of Soup.

The problem is now that I have been off of liquids and back on mushies/real food, I have stopped losing weight. I have upped my exercise to a 2 mile walk per day (up from 1 mile) but every morning that scale inches up by a few ounces.

I finally asked my dr what I am doing wrong and he said nothing... that I should expect to gain some weight before I have my first fill (sched for Oct. 8). I am mortified-- I feel like I have no restriction and that if I wasn't sore from the surgery in the port area, I would not even KNOW that I had surgery, bc I can eat everything and large quantities and guzzle Water.

Ok, enough of my rant. I will wait until I get my fill and hope then I will feel some restriction!

Wow,My dr had me on 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies ( about to end) then soft food for a week. After that it will be regular food, but in small amounts.

Not sure why there are so many different choices that the dr's use, but I am sticking to my strict one....Dave

WoW!!! I was banded last Thursday....my Dr. put me on a liquid diet 4 a week and onto 2 mushy foods 4 two weeks and then solids. I had 4ozs. of clam chowder for dinner....does anyone think this is okay? I considered it to be a creamy liquid...:nervous

I know how u feel about eating too much. That's exactly how I feel. I am 2 weeks po and I am allowed to eat normal food...that means I am allowed to eat ANYTHING!

I have still kept it to just mushies & Soups though, bc I don't really feel too comfortable starting to eat regular foods just yet. However, I have had a bite of a turkey sandwich and that went down fine and I have been eating lots of Soup.

The problem is now that I have been off of liquids and back on mushies/real food, I have stopped losing weight. I have upped my exercise to a 2 mile walk per day (up from 1 mile) but every morning that scale inches up by a few ounces.

I finally asked my dr what I am doing wrong and he said nothing... that I should expect to gain some weight before I have my first fill (sched for Oct. 8). I am mortified-- I feel like I have no restriction and that if I wasn't sore from the surgery in the port area, I would not even KNOW that I had surgery, bc I can eat everything and large quantities and guzzle Water.

Ok, enough of my rant. I will wait until I get my fill and hope then I will feel some restriction!

Eat a hamburger for me..... I'm STARVING over her!!!!!LOL

Hazel how are you doing on your weight loss since surgery? Just be careful and make sure you are fully healed before taking in alot of solids! Good Luck