Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many times a day to eat?

I have been comparing post op diets from different surgery centers, and even the maintenance portions vary.

Johns Hopkins recommends eating 3 meals and two Snacks (one snack is just a cup of milk). Baha Bariatrics recommends 3 meals and no snacks.

My pre-op self eats constantly, although I have eaten anything from 2 -5 meals a day while dieting before with good (albeit temporary) results.

What do y'all do?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

I eat an early Breakfast or drink part of a Protein shake if I'm not that hungry. Then I have a late morning snack. Then lunch. Then a late afternoon snack. Then I do dinner and I never get hungry before bed.

So 3 meals, 2 Snacks for me.

During the work week:

7am: Protein latte

10am: Greek yogurt/eggs/ or berries/nuts

1pm: lunch - usually out and will be either chicken or fish with salad or veg

4pm: Some nuts/fruit or a Protein bar/avocado/baby bel/eggs or the like

8pm: Chicken/fish/pork with veg

The Snacks are based on what I am doing work wise so can change.

At the weekends I tend to just eat 3 meals and one snack and my meals are spread out more.

Kate

This is what I eat each day. (I'm the kind of person that can have the same thing everyday.)

Meal 1: 1 scrambled egg and 2 pieces of bacon

Meal 2: 4 oz cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

Meal 3: 1 string cheese, 5 ParmCrisps, and 2 oz of chicken or salmon

Meal 4: 2 oz salmon with 1 oz green Beans

Meal 5: 2 oz hamburger steak with 1 oz green Beans

Meal 6: 2 oz chicken or salmon with 1 oz green beans

Meal 7: 4 oz cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

That comes out to about 1000 calories, 19 grams of carbs, and 100 grams of Protein. I have 112 oz of Water as well (32 oz between Meal 1 and Meal 2, 32 oz between Meal 2 and Meal 3, 16 oz between Meals 4 and 5, Meals 6 and 7, and after Meal 7). It takes about 12-14 hours to get it all in and to allow the proper wait time before and after drinking Water.< /p>

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Wow, sounds like no one actually does 3 meals and no snacks! (I'm happy to see it because it is hard to imagine getting the nutrition in with so few meals :) ).

Wow, sounds like no one actually does 3 meals and no snacks! (I'm happy to see it because it is hard to imagine getting the nutrition in with so few meals :) ).

That 3 meals and no Snacks plan is ridiculous -- that would mean you probably would always have to be dependent on Protein shakes or powder. That is almost as ridiculous as the low fat AND low carb plan that some people on here say their doctors prescribe.

Edited by blizair09

This is what I eat each day. (I'm the kind of person that can have the same thing everyday.)

Meal 1: 1 scrambled egg and 2 pieces of bacon

Meal 2: 4 oz cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

Meal 3: 1 string cheese, 5 ParmCrisps, and 2 oz of chicken or salmon

Meal 4: 2 oz salmon with 1 oz green Beans

Meal 5: 2 oz hamburger steak with 1 oz green beans

Meal 6: 2 oz chicken or salmon with 1 oz green beans

Meal 7: 4 oz cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

That comes out to about 1000 calories, 19 grams of carbs, and 100 grams of Protein. I have 112 oz of Water as well (32 oz between Meal 1 and Meal 2, 32 oz between Meal 2 and Meal 3, 16 oz between Meals 4 and 5, Meals 6 and 7, and after Meal 7). It takes about 12-14 hours to get it all in and to allow the proper wait time before and after drinking Water.< /p>

I hope this helps. Good luck!

blizair09 .. Thanks for sharing your plan! It looks low in Fiber, do you need to supplement? I'm learning there is not much room for veggies. Definitely an adjustment from what I am used to.

During the work week:

7am: Protein latte

10am: Greek yogurt/eggs/ or berries/nuts

1pm: lunch - usually out and will be either chicken or fish with salad or veg

4pm: Some nuts/fruit or a protein bar/avocado/baby bel/eggs or the like

8pm: Chicken/fish/pork with veg

The Snacks are based on what I am doing work wise so can change.

At the weekends I tend to just eat 3 meals and one snack and my meals are spread out more.

Kate

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

@@Alexis99

I don't supplement Fiber. I have been pretty consistent about going to the bathroom every 2-3 days. I occasionally have to take Milk of Magnesia, but not very often.

I fear eating all day with meals and Snacks, as I am more likely to evolve that into having 7, 400 calories meals. (Instead of just a couple healthy snacks.) I find it easy to have several hundred calories by just breathing if I am not careful, 7 meals = 7 times a day to make a poor decision.

My advice is: you need to be aware of your own self-make-up, and how you really tick inside, to make sure whatever method you choose it is a lasting one. There is a general sense of security I get knowing I can eat throughout the day. But when I dug deep, I discovered that was my food addiction talking, not my new healthy self. Frankly, I am ok with starving my food addictions. (A lot of people have success with intermittent fasting as well.) Either strategy can either work for you or against you depending on who you are, how much you can eat and drink at one sitting, etc... Just be self-aware and honest with yourself, so you don't lose your mojo.

I was banded before the sleeve, and never really changed my eating habits or my relationship with food. My goal with this procedure is to really begin to change how I eat and not just temporarily change what I eat.

My doc recommends eating at least 5 times a day. Normally - I eat 4. I'm just not ever THAT hungry. My first meal is always a smoothie/protein shake.