Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

have to agree with naomi and sparky! i was banded with dr chris just over 4 weeks (same time as naomi actually!) and i am extatic with dr chris!! me and my doctor decided it would be a good option given my medical history and bmi didn't come into it!! i am the one who had the final decision to make! i am the one who was spending the money! if dr chris wasn't willing to do it i would have searched world wide to find someone who was!!

i am returning to brussels this morning to get my first fill! excited about it and feeling very confident. i place all my trust in dr chris. don't be fooled by thinking that because a doctor is in the uk he is automatically going to be good!! don't forget that the band originated in Belgium!!!!!!!!! so it is probable that Belgium doctors are more experienced!!!!!!!!!! (where do you think the english doctors get their training from!!!!!)

Go DR De Bruyne!!! And Frederik !!! lol!

Anige xx

Hello everyone, found this and thought it made interesting reading. As for the comment about Dr's making quick money is laughable because to have it done here in the UK is twice as expensive. Its a personel choice as to where you have surgery, but for me I have no regrets and would gladly go back to Dr. Chris. The hospital was spotless and I returned home without any lovely superbug in tow. So for anyone who might be put off going to Brussels dont be, its worth every penny

hi there

In a recent report by Matthew Hill of BBC News it was inferred that

Gastric Band surgery carried out by surgeons in Belgium put UK

Patients at risk. This is totally untrue. Gastric Band procedures In

Belgium are carried according to the current guidelines of the

Belgium Health Authorities which are different than those applied in

the UK. This in no way infers that the Procedure is Unsafe for UK

Patients who decide to travel to Belgium for this surgery Procedure.

In a recent report by Matthew Hill of BBC News it was inferred that

Gastric Band surgery carried out by surgeons in Belgium put UK

Patients at risk. This is totally untrue.

Gastric Band procedures In Belgium are carried according to the

current guidelines of the Belgium Health Authorities which are

different than those applied in the UK. This in no way infers that

the Procedure is Unsafe for UK Patients who decide to travel to

Belgium for this surgery Procedure. The Guidelines for Private

Gastric Band surgery In Belgium are for Patients with a BMI of 35 to

40. However what must be remembered is that these are "Guidelines" on

not strict "Rules" and a BMI of 30 is acceptable in some cases if the

patent is so motivated, and the surgeon considers that the surgery

would be Benifical to the Patient.

In the BBC Interview it also carried a clandestine interview with

Belgian Gastric Band Surgeon Dr. Chris De Bruyne who was "Secretly

Filmed" during an Bogus interview for surgery by a BBC reporter. The

reporter "Lead the Surgeon" in to making certain comments which gave

the impression that He (the Surgeon) would carry out Gastric Band

surgery on patients who did not fall within these guidelines.

However, Dr Bruyne did emphasise that the difference of the 2 kg of

weight was

insignificant if the patient was motivated and that patient had a

record of weight fluctuation that would take them slightly over or

below the BMI periodically.

There was no indication that Dr De Bryune was the Surgeon who had

carried out the Operation on Jilly Trella who had needed the

emergency treatment due to complications. So one must ask the

question, why was he (Dr De Bruyne) chosen by the BBC to interview in

this manner? Surely the BBC would have been much better served to

undertake an interview the Surgeon who had caused the problems that

Jilly Trella had suffered from.

Furthermore the Interview then continued on to suggest Gastric Band

Surgery carried out abroad (again citing Belgium as a cause for

concern) was unsafe because of difficulties with access to aftercare.

This also is not a true statement of fact. Most Gastric Band surgeons

in Belgium make arrangements for clients in the UK to have access to

aftercare. In many cases the Surgeon themselves travel to UK medical

centres to carry out remedial and aftercare services for their

Patients. In all cases Patients are given very clear instructions on

what to do in cases of emergency and contact telephone numbers where

they can obtain advice or treatment.

As with all cases of surgery there will be times when complications

arise, and gastric band surgery is not without risk. These risks are

explained to the Patient before and after surgery and the patient

enters in to the "contract" with full knowledge of the risks

involved. When complications do arise they are generally treated very

quickly and efficiently by the surgeon, or the patient is advised how

to seek emergency treatment.

The Interviewer also sent out a survey to Surgeons in the UK who were

asked if they had carried out any emergency treatment for past

patients from Abroad and the results stated that many had. However

what the survey did NOT ask was if they had carried out any emergency

treatment for gastric band surgery patients from UK Clinics. Nor did

they ask Surgeons who are directly involved in High Volume cosmetic

Surgery Clinics in clinics where gastric Band surgery is carried out.

In My opinion Dr Chris de Bryune was pilloried for something which he

had not caused, nor was he given the proper opportunity to respond to

the reporter's questions in a timely manner. It is totally unfair for

any reporter to call a surgeon and expect them to respond when they

are with a patient in a private consultation. The English Surgeons

whom he then went on to interview were given the full facts of the

debate, and also afforded the opportunity to respond in a timely

fashion, in surroundings of their choosing, with the full knowledge

that they were being interviewed.

Gastric Banding Surgery In Belgium is carried out By Highly qualified

and experienced Surgeons, the Clinics where treatment is carried out

are clean and hygienic, and the risks of complications are no greater

than for procedure carried out in the UK.

I feel the BBC gave a very Biased report and Blew everything out of

proportion for the sake of sensationalism.

I do agree with the article chrissy has cited... it would be interesting to know how many failed bands have been fitted by uk surgeons..seems to me the people in the uk business of this type of private surgery feel their bank balance is under threat . What better way to fill the coffers than to scare people!!

I do agree with the article chrissy has cited...

it would be interesting to know how many failed bands have been fitted by uk surgeons..seems to me the people in the uk business of this type of private surgery feel their bank balance is under threat . What better way to fill the coffers than to scare people!!

Hiya Vanessa, I totally agree, if surgery was more affordable here in the UK there would be no need to go elsewhere.

How are you doing, well done on the 2 1bs 2oz loss. I had a bit of a fright yesterday, I ate to much to fast and I felt my chest was going to cave in lol and it came back up as quick as it went down, my own fault for thinking I could get away with it lol, wont be doing that again in a hurry:w00t: it bloody hurt!

I have lost about 8lbs so far, but it seems to be going up and down all the time so im only going to weigh in once a week lol .

I think something is wrong with me. I was banded 3 weeks ago and Im only 4 kilos down. I see you all losing pound after pound and I dont. I eat solid food, but Im sure I dont over eat, and I dont eat fat or sweet things. I have never thrown up so I dont think Im doing anything wrong. Anyone else with the same problem?

Thank you for helping.

Ele

I think something is wrong with me. I was banded 3 weeks ago and Im only 4 kilos down. I see you all losing pound after pound and I dont. I eat solid food, but Im sure I dont over eat, and I dont eat fat or sweet things. I have never thrown up so I dont think Im doing anything wrong. Anyone else with the same problem?

Thank you for helping.

Ele

Hey Ele, you are doing really well. I think my weight loss is all Fluid. You are doing nothing wrong, we all lose at different rates, and you might think that 4 kilo's is not much, but come on its a fantastic loss in 3 weeks:thumbs_up:

Hiya Vanessa, I totally agree, if surgery was more affordable here in the UK there would be no need to go elsewhere.

How are you doing, well done on the 2 1bs 2oz loss. I had a bit of a fright yesterday, I ate to much to fast and I felt my chest was going to cave in lol and it came back up as quick as it went down, my own fault for thinking I could get away with it lol, wont be doing that again in a hurry:w00t: it bloody hurt!

I have lost about 8lbs so far, but it seems to be going up and down all the time so im only going to weigh in once a week lol .

well done you..I'm amazed i havent lost more cos i get terrible wind if eat too m uch... which is in fact a very small portion... yesterday i moved on to more solid food..mash veg etc... can eat less than a child sized portion...have booked a fill for 13/11 in manchester.. not sure i#ll need one given the volume I can eat now!!.. trapped wind is a huge problem!!

I'm due to weigh again tomorrow... doing it on a weekly basis..don't want to get hung up on my potential weight loss!!

Hey Ele, you are doing really well. I think my weight loss is all Fluid. You are doing nothing wrong, we all lose at different rates, and you might think that 4 kilo's is not much, but come on its a fantastic loss in 3 weeks:thumbs_up:

I agree with Chrissy... you've done really well... I lost 2lb 2oz in my first week... i thought it would be more, but in reality thats fine by me..little and regular is the way to go... it healthier and not such a shock to the skin!!!.. slower loss.... less sag... :thumbup:

well done you..I'm amazed i havent lost more cos i get terrible wind if eat too m uch... which is in fact a very small portion... yesterday i moved on to more solid food..mash veg etc... can eat less than a child sized portion...have booked a fill for 13/11 in manchester.. not sure i#ll need one given the volume I can eat now!!.. trapped wind is a huge problem!!

I'm due to weigh again tomorrow... doing it on a weekly basis..don't want to get hung up on my potential weight loss!!

Hey I like your motto lol slower loss less sag lol :thumbup:Im still suffering from wind as well but it is getting less often, Im drinking lots of apple juice and Water which seems to help a bit. Oooo lucky you getting your first fill on the 13th, im not able to have mine until the 27th Nov. I have started having the porridge in the mornings and that helps keep the hunger demons away till about 11.30, and I have discovered Tescos Dutch crispbakes and their light cheese triangles. I am also now having mashed vegs and stewed steak in gravy - yum im getting stirings from those little demons again lol What got me yesterday was king prawns, not good for me, maybe if I had eaten them slowly and not had one after the other they wouldnt of given me soooooo much pain lol

Hey I like your motto lol slower loss less sag lol :thumbup:Im still suffering from wind as well but it is getting less often, Im drinking lots of apple juice and Water which seems to help a bit. Oooo lucky you getting your first fill on the 13th, im not able to have mine until the 27th Nov. I have started having the porridge in the mornings and that helps keep the hunger demons away till about 11.30, and I have discovered Tescos Dutch crispbakes and their light cheese triangles. I am also now having mashed vegs and stewed steak in gravy - yum im getting stirings from those little demons again lol What got me yesterday was king prawns, not good for me, maybe if I had eaten them slowly and not had one after the other they wouldnt of given me soooooo much pain lol

hi

I would have prefered to have had a later fill but next date was 13/12 and that was too far down the line.... as for the prawns... now I understand why you brought them up....... yuck..cant stand them!!!... Wind pains seem to be improving , along with my appetite... had spag bol tonight..small portion of course.. but it went down really well... oh, and my incisions itch like mad!!..

How is work going? have they guessed :thumbup:

Hi Vanessa, just reading your earlier postings....I too am going for a fill in Manchester on 13/11! What time are you booked in for? I go @ 4pm (for my second fill), can't wait,as the first fill didn't give me much restriction! Maybe I'll see you there!

Kath.:thumbup:

Hi everyone i'm home, very sore around the port area but other than that feeling ok. I feel like i am 9 months pregnant again i am soooooooo swollen. I must admit the travelling home after such an operation is very hard going i wish we had stayed another night or two.

I feel weepy, and sorry for myself, is this quite normal as i thought i would be bouncing around as i have been waiting for this a long time . This morning i woke up absolutely starving so had half a sachet of oats so simple then went and ate the other half, it all went down easily and i must asy i feel a lot better for it, but a little concerned as other people dont seem to be able to eat half as much.

I have decided that i am not going to weigh in my house at all as i can get a little obsessed with them weighing day and night, will only weigh up my mums.

frederick is going to bristol and cardiff on the 3rd nov to look for a new clinic so by end next month he should be sorted down this neck of the woods.

well if anyone has any advice for me would be very much appreciated.

Hi everyone i'm home, very sore around the port area but other than that feeling ok. I feel like i am 9 months pregnant again i am soooooooo swollen. I must admit the travelling home after such an operation is very hard going i wish we had stayed another night or two.

I feel weepy, and sorry for myself, is this quite normal as i thought i would be bouncing around as i have been waiting for this a long time . This morning i woke up absolutely starving so had half a sachet of oats so simple then went and ate the other half, it all went down easily and i must asy i feel a lot better for it, but a little concerned as other people dont seem to be able to eat half as much.

I have decided that i am not going to weigh in my house at all as i can get a little obsessed with them weighing day and night, will only weigh up my mums.

frederick is going to bristol and cardiff on the 3rd nov to look for a new clinic so by end next month he should be sorted down this neck of the woods.

well if anyone has any advice for me would be very much appreciated.

Hey Jojo welcome back, well done!! Dont worry you wont feel like this for long, its just that your body has had one hell of a shock lol, in a few days time you will be your old self again. I also felt really hungrey and still do most of the time:crying: just make sure that you drink plenty of fluids, cuppa Soups go down really well, over the next few days, and im sure you will feel a lot better when you start having mushy foods, i know i do. Try and book your first fill as soon as you can. Well done!!!:biggrin:

hi

I would have prefered to have had a later fill but next date was 13/12 and that was too far down the line.... as for the prawns... now I understand why you brought them up....... yuck..cant stand them!!!... Wind pains seem to be improving , along with my appetite... had spag bol tonight..small portion of course.. but it went down really well... oh, and my incisions itch like mad!!..

How is work going? have they guessed :biggrin:

I wish I could of had an earlier fill but the 27th Nov was the next one after the 23rd October which would of been far to soon. Hmmmmm I love prawns lol but I have been warned lol!:blush:

Yum Spag Bol, how did the Pasta go down? How much did you have? Im still feeling hunger pangs about 2 hours after I have eaten and I am having to really be strict with myself to stop snacking:cursing: oooohhhhh roll on the 27th Nov lol:rolleyes2:

Nobody at work has suspected because I had already told them that I was

going on a very strict diet, so they just think im still on that phew! How has it been for you? Are they supportive now they all know?