Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

OH poor fatpants, I was really sorry hear how much pain you've been through, and so glad it was all solved once you had medical attention at hospital, I know just how you feel about the unfill but once the swelling goes down you can then restart your fill programe.

Your BMI is much lower now so the rush for us to lose weight is not as great. I had to leave it at least 4 weeks before contemplating a partial refill but health and comfort is most important. I'll let you know how I go about the refills my first is on the 26th Feb, but before then I have another consultation and xray just to ensure the gullet is healthy enough to take the strain and strong enough to push any food through the band.

Take care get well again, and we'll carry on this journey together. mmmxxx

Oh fatpants you must have been in agony but must be so relieved now. I am obviously not as bad as you no foaming at the mouth or anything but doc did give me antacids but I cant swallow them!!! He also gave me gaviscon. I can swallow fluids if I sip it slowly and I have discovered I can eat ritz biscuits and chocolate so I will persevere. Im so glad hospital didnt treat you badly as I would imagine some pompous doctors looking slightly pleased that surgery done in Belgium gone wrong and then looking for the NHS to sort it out scenario. Hope you recover soon.

MMM thanks for the feedback on defil I will have to decide what to do when I see Wendy but defo getting a good bit out. Jx

TO all reflux sufferers, when I had the consultation regarding reflux and the subsequent xray it was proven that the band had been overfilled, and this caused the reflux (which I knew), the Fluid coming back at night was caused by the gullet over working to push any fluid and food through the band, and was taking 5 hours to get somethings through, therefore everything was backing up along the gullet, It was said that if I had attempted to overeat during this time it could have caused an extended pouch or a band slip.

A xray showed the rate of flow of food through the band at different fill levels, these levels are specific to me and were 4.8mls and under, no restriction whatsoever, and at 6ml ok, but tight over this level I start to encounter backup and therefore reflux. These levels will change as I lose weight, but for now there is no way I can go over 6ml.

As I said this is specific to me, but even an unfill below 6ml did not solve the reflux because by then the gullet had become irritated and overworked, so a fill level of 4.8ml (the level of no restriction for me) was chosen, whilst everything calmed down.

I now no longer have any reflux, but I also dont have any restriction, but this is a long journey, and this year I'll no doubt be loosing weight sometime again.

MMM I was just wondering how did they manage to find out your specific levels of fill for your restriction. Who did this for you? Was it on the NHS? I just thought if they can do this for you, surely it should be something that is done for all of us so as to prevent these problems.

Takecare

Fatpants :rolleyes2:

Flying out tomorrow, last post till next week. Thanks to you all for your support, it really makes a difference. My next post I will be a fully pledge Bandster! Love Jeanie

Good luck jeaniejinx hope it goes smoothly for you.:rolleyes2:

MMM I was just wondering how did they manage to find out your specific levels of fill for your restriction. Who did this for you? Was it on the NHS? I just thought if they can do this for you, surely it should be something that is done for all of us so as to prevent these problems.

Takecare

Fatpants :rolleyes2:

The fill level and rate it passes through is determined when you swallow the barium and this can be seen under xray.

The consultant fills the band at different levels and then times how long it takes to pass through the band, you can see it clearly when you see the xray.

the rate at a fill level of 4.8ml was normal (as if there was no band) for me. Then he filled my band to 5.5mls, I then had to swallow more barium and the xray showed the rate it passed through the band was slower, at 6ml, hardly any barium passed through the band and just backed up along the gullet, taking ages to eventually pass through the band. This level I was told had caused the reflux. These times and ml measurements are specific to me now and might change in the future.

I payed to have this done at my local bupa/spire hospital and the price of £160 included consultations; xray; and fill or unfill as required, it also covered a health check on the band to check for corrosion, slippage' and correct positioning, a check on the port was also carried out.

The consultant during the xray was very complimentary regarding the band used and the way it had been fitted.

In a previous post it was mentioned (gary I think said) the xray at Belgium cost £50 but when you add the flight cost and accommodation on, I was quite pleased with the £160 I paid.

Having a fill was most interesting to watch under xray because you could see all the Fluid in the band being sucked out and then being refilled at different levels and the different rate that the barium passed through the band. I was also shown how health my gullet and surrounding areas are.

I should have passed this info on earlier it may have helped all the reflux sufferers, and I appologise for not doing so, I am of course still intimidated by the negative feedback given last week, and if this info offends or worries anyone then of course I am sorry.

Edited by mmm

Hey all, as with Jeanie's post, my last one as a fledgling. Flying out tomorrow morning, nervous as hell, but very reassured by this forum and all the advice and support I've had.

Haven't decided yet whether to take my laptop (depends if it fits in my luggage). If I take it I'll try to get on to give everyone an update post-op for myself and Jeanie. If not, speak to you all next week as a fellow bandster!! :thumbup:

Again, thank you all so much for your help over the last few nervous weeks. :rolleyes2:

Bon voyage pre bandsters, looking forward to hearing about your experiences on your return.

Hope all goes well for you. Really looking forward to hearing from you next week about your experiences..

Confirmed my date today for 12th March so not long until I join you on the journey

Best wishes and hope you have a speedy recovery

Regards

Kerry

Good luck to you too jojo hope all goes well for you too.:rolleyes2:

Hi, this is my first post so apologise if i am asking question previously answered. I have been given an appointment for March in Belgium and need to book flights ASAP. I have noticed a few people have traveled from glasgow and i would like to pick your brain as to who you traveled with and to which airport. Thanks so much in advance for this.

P.S. Im sorry but I need to confirm by tommorrow, so will need to book flights soon.Thanks again

Hi, this is my first post so apologise if i am asking question previously answered. I have been given an appointment for March in Belgium and need to book flights ASAP. I have noticed a few people have traveled from glasgow and i would like to pick your brain as to who you traveled with and to which airport. Thanks so much in advance for this.

P.S. Im sorry but I need to confirm by tommorrow, so will need to book flights soon.Thanks again

hiya

i live in glasgow also, the ryanair flight from prestwick only goes to charleroi airport which is a fair distance and additional cost at the other end not to mention the strange flight times and also the added hassle on the way home when ur not feeling the best. the best flight altho expensive is BMI from edinburgh direct to brussels international, u can fly from glasgow but these flights go via manchester or londong and are only a little less.

In summary although on the face of it, it seem way more expensive from edinburgh however once u add additional taxis or train and hassle from charleroi then i know what i would choose again.

I have met a few folk from scotland pre op to help answer any questions, so if u want to meet for a chat then just let me know i live in east kilbride and work all over so let me know if that may help

g

Good luck to everyone going soon although i am sure that you will not need it!

Fatpants, glad your ok...i have done the foamy mouth thing and it's not fun! I know that they have taken alot out but at least you are giving yourself a bit if time to let your stomach settle down a bit x

Put on a pound...not happy!

xx

Thanks very much for your info on flights Garry. But I still need your help. I have read that people have stayed in the Camponile but there are two, one in Vilvoode and one in Zaventem. Would you know which one is the most convenient one to stay in?

Thanks very much for your info on flights Garry. But I still need your help. I have read that people have stayed in the Camponile but there are two, one in Vilvoode and one in Zaventem. Would you know which one is the most convenient one to stay in?

Everyone stays at the Camponile in Vilvorde xxx