Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Effects of Alcohol after Lap Band Surgery

:whoo:<p>I am a newbie. I have just been approved for the lapband procedure from my Doctor in San Clemente CA. I am trying to get all the information I can before deciding the surgery. I like to drink alcohol, I need to know am I allowed to drink alcohol before and after the surgery, if so how much?</p>

I certainly like my wine but do not drink as much as I did before surgery but I do usually have a glass most evenings. No one has told me I can't. :)

Thanks for the reply, my work schedule is 4 - 10 hour a day 3 days off. When I get home I relax with 3 or 4 drinks Gin/7up before dinner and maybe more in the afternoon on my days off. To be honest I am probably an alcoholic, I need to know if this surgery is going to be right for me. I am 5'10" 275 lbs. BMI at 39. I need to loose at least 100 lbs. I am also Type II Diabetic. Is there anybody in my situation or have anything to coment on.

Thanks, Jeff

My surgeon said no carbonated beverages after surgery, ever so if your surgeon has that same policy, the 7up might be a problem. I would think it would not be good for your insulin levels, either. You are basically drinking empty calories so I am not sure if the band would help you until you are able to stop that habit. I am not being judgemental in any way so please don't think that. I just don't know how much you would lose if you kept that up. I would hate to see you spend the time and money on the band to completely defeat the purpose.

To be honest, and this is just my personal opinion, the lap-band is not the best solution for people who drink excessively (or consume many liquid calories), mainly because of the pure numbers game. The achilles heel of the band is that people can learn to eat around it, and one of the biggest pain points here is liquid calories.

I don't know the numbers but I'm going to guess 200 - 500 calories per drink. If you're looking at an average minimum of 4 drinks per day, that's 800 - 2000 calories per day, just on the drinks. Most bandsters are in the 800 - 1200 range, for their total day's intake.

Will the abnd still be able to help? Maybe... almost impossible to say. But I'm not sure you'd see a good ROI.

I wouldn't worry about your reply. You were completely honest. I was told the same thing that I am not to drink any carbonated beverages and yes they said you can still drink alcohol but it would just defeat the purpose of the lap band. The same with icecream for all us icecream lovers!!

Thanks Sheila! I am going to miss my pop but I am willing to sacrifice! Like I said I didn't want to offend anyone.......wheetsin I wasn't even adding the calories up like that....OUCH!!!

Thanks for the replies on the effects of Alcohol. Drinking excessively would indeed defeat the purpose of loosing wieght because of the empty high calories. If I have the lapband surgery would'nt this change both my eating and drinking intake since I will only be able to eat and drink small amounts? Has anyone who drank alcohol before the surgery change to lower amount of drinking alcohol after the surgery?

:whoo::help:

Hope we see more replys on this topic. I get banded on Oct 5th and my situation is similair to yours. I do know the booze leads me to overeating at night, it's my biggest problem. Seems like the band will at least slow down the "munchies". I as you are hoping that the band will also bring about a reduction in alcohol intake. I'm not expecting it to "cure" anything, just hope it helps me do less of everything.

My suggestion would be for both guitarjeff and philjarvis to ask their lap band doctors on how much alcohol they will be allowed to drink each day after they get the band.... Every doctor is different in their requirements for success with the band and we are only guessing with our answers... The professional opinion would be more accurate...

Good Luck to both of you on your band and successful weight loss...