Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was most difficult and what surprised you?

Hi All,

I'm currently 245lbs and am going to have gastric bypass in a couple months. My goal is to get down to 160lbs.

I know this is a very intense process and I was hoping you could share some of the things that were most difficult and maybe some of the things that surprised you about having gastric bypass surgery.

I'm a little nervous about my surgery and want to hear about all aspects of this process, not just about how great it is to lose the weight.

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was surprised at how easy it was. I had no nausea, little pain, and was back to work in days.

I thought I'd miss food more, but one or two bites is enough for most cravings.

The most difficult thing for me was my family's reaction. They were very opposed to the surgery, and still won't discuss it at all. Cooking is hard. I taste constantly. So, we've rearranged family chores so I don't do it.

I have last 92 pounds so far, surpassing my surgeon's goal, but still a few pounds out from mine. I look and feel great.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Cravings have been hard. I had a DS so I don't have dumping syndrome as an incentive to stay away from sweets. Instead, I just fill up on Protein so there's no room haha. Cooking has actually been fun. I've had to get creative. It's also been hard to stay off the scale every single day. Other than that, I've had a really good experience. The pain was tough, but it passes. Right now I just can't wait for solid foods!

I was pleasantly surprised by how easy recovery was. When the surgeon told me I'd go home just taking liquid Tylenol I thought he was insane- but it really was all I needed and I was done with it after a few days.

I was very surprised how upsetting it was to not get to chew (pre-op and post-op diets). It didn't feel like I was actually eating and that was a hard mind game to play.

I'm a week postop and really mourning the loss of food. I didn't think it would be this hard. The surgery part was a breeze. Def miss chewing and feel hungry although I know it's in my head. Honestly have had moments of regret. Not trying to scare you but this has been my honest experience. Also so hard to watch people eat when u can only drink.

I was surprised at how easy it was. I had no nausea, little pain, and was back to work in days.

The most difficult thing for me was my family's reaction. They were very opposed to the surgery, and still won't discuss it at all. Cooking is hard. I taste constantly. So, we've rearranged family chores so I don't do it.

I have last 92 pounds so far, surpassing my surgeon's goal, but still a few pounds out from mine. I look and feel great.

That's great! Did you have any co-morbidities before surgery? Or, were you pretty much healthy, but bigger? I'm just wondering because many people tell me "I'm not that big", but I feel huge and everything hurts and I have obstructive sleep apnea.

That's great! Did you have any co-morbidities before surgery? Or, were you pretty much healthy, but bigger? I'm just wondering because many people tell me "I'm not that big", but I feel huge and everything hurts and I have obstructive sleep apnea.
I was mostly healthy until September 2015. I was working out with a trainer three times a week and doing great. That September, I fell and tore my PCL. The pain was agonizing. I couldn't walk for weeks. The doctor said that they no longer operate unless the ligament is torn completely off, and the only treatment is strength training and weight loss. By Christmas, I had developed plantar fasciitis in my other leg. I had gone from being very fit to being a near invalid in three months. January I went to my first pre-op meeting.

I did not have sleep apnea, hypertension, diabetes, or anything like that. So my operation was relatively safe and routine.

Edited by Vinasu

Thanks for the reply! I love to cook and expect that will be a challenge for me as well. Congrats on the weight loss!

I also had it easy. I think it was because I was up and moving a lot right after surgery. Actually I think liking to cook makes it easier. A lot of people get bored because they are eating the same prepared Soups or foods during the early challenging days. I was all over Pinterest and trying bariatric recipes making boring things taste better etc.

The hardest part is the preop diet, followed by the first couple of weeks of post op. Once you are cleared for soft/purees you will be so excited to eat cottage chees you could never have imagined...

I was mostly healthy until September 2015. I was working out with a trainer three times a week and doing great. That September, I fell and tore my PCL. The pain was agonizing. I couldn't walk for weeks. The doctor said that they no longer operate unless the ligament is torn completely off, and the only treatment is strength training and weight loss. By Christmas, I had developed plantar fasciitis in my other leg. I had gone from being very fit to being a near invalid in three months. January I went to my first pre-op meeting.

I did not have sleep apnea, hypertension, diabetes, or anything like that. So my operation was relatively safe and routine.

That's great to hear. I pray my nerves will calm down soon. I will be fine...