Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone who does not count calories? Ever?

If you log you food in an app you don't have to count anything it does it all for you.

As WLS patients it seems like a lot of us have too few calories and that causes stalls and it ruins your metabolism.

I don't count calories but I log all my food in an app and the calories are right there. I worry more about hitting my 100 grams of Protein min. At the end of the day I look at the calories to make sure I got enough in.

I been maintaining for too long. I'm three years post op and the last two years I've been the same weight give or take a few lbs, but now I am trying to lose the rest and I simply can't. I've been eating what I wanted but now that I limit my calories (to about 1200 or so) I just can't shake this stall (or maintenance). Could it be that I am not eating enough?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

During my weight loss phase I ate 1400-1500 calories a day, hit my Protein goal of 100 grams every day, ran three days a week, biked two days a week, and did strength training 5-6 days a week. I think, like you have observed from other posts, I was successful because I actually kept my calories pretty high. I never had the damage to my metabolism that a lot of WLS patients have by creating too large a calorie deficit in their weight loss phase.

My only advice for someone in your position now would be to get as much protein as possible and add in some strength training. Muscle burns more calories, so if you can build some up, it should boost your metabolism a bit. But it won't be fast. Don't expect quick results. You have to do it and stick with it and have faith it will pay off in the end.

Wonderful. It makes a lot of sense because once my weight stayed the same I was eating normal (as much as my stomach could take anyway). But I certainly wasn't counting calories or watching what I ate, although I wasn't going crazy with all the wrong foods either. And I wasn't doing extra exercises, just moderate daily movement. It wasn't until I tried to count calories and eat less where my weight wasn't moving or gaining a couple. So I will go back to my "norm", but making sure most of what I eat is protein and exercising... prayerfully that'll do the trick. The 240's just won't let me go ! (Started out at 320 though, 308 surgery day). Goal is 200

Edited by serenityjames81

5 years post op and 280 pounds down. Calories counted 0.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

5 years post op and 280 pounds down. Calories counted 0.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using the BariatricPal App

That is how I want it to go! great job!

If you log you food in an app you don't have to count anything it does it all for you.

As WLS patients it seems like a lot of us have too few calories and that causes stalls and it ruins your metabolism.

I don't count calories but I log all my food in an app and the calories are right there. I worry more about hitting my 100 grams of Protein min. At the end of the day I look at the calories to make sure I got enough in.

I been maintaining for too long. I'm three years post op and the last two years I've been the same weight give or take a few lbs, but now I am trying to lose the rest and I simply can't. I've been eating what I wanted but now that I limit my calories (to about 1200 or so) I just can't shake this stall (or maintenance). Could it be that I am not eating enough?

During my weight loss phase I ate 1400-1500 calories a day, hit my Protein goal of 100 grams every day, ran three days a week, biked two days a week, and did strength training 5-6 days a week. I think, like you have observed from other posts, I was successful because I actually kept my calories pretty high. I never had the damage to my metabolism that a lot of WLS patients have by creating too large a calorie deficit in their weight loss phase.

My only advice for someone in your position now would be to get as much protein as possible and add in some strength training. Muscle burns more calories, so if you can build some up, it should boost your metabolism a bit. But it won't be fast. Don't expect quick results. You have to do it and stick with it and have faith it will pay off in the end.

Wonderful. It makes a lot of sense because once my weight stayed the same I was eating normal (as much as my stomach could take anyway). But I certainly wasn't counting calories or watching what I ate, although I wasn't going crazy with all the wrong foods either. And I wasn't doing extra exercises, just moderate daily movement. It wasn't until I tried to count calories and eat less where my weight wasn't moving or gaining a couple. So I will go back to my "norm", but making sure most of what I eat is protein and exercising... prayerfully that'll do the trick. The 240's just won't let me go ! (Started out at 320 though, 308 surgery day). Goal is 200

I think you've got the right idea hon! Do a happy dance when you've broken your stall.

Edited by Newme17

Thank you so much for the informatoin, Newme17!!! It looks interesting, but I am terrified of gaining weight. Definitely worth a try though! Anyone else out there tried this???

Thank you so much for the informatoin, Newme17!!! It looks interesting, but I am terrified of gaining weight. Definitely worth a try though! Anyone else out there tried this???

For years, we've all been taught that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I have finally stumbled upon the science behind intermittent fasting and how our bodies work during it. At first, I was afraid to go without Breakfast, but when I did (this was when I was weight training hard), I saw my body changing. It was amazing. Unfortunately, I usually hurt myself or some big life thing happens and I end up having to stop and I go back to old ways. The reason why I brought this up is because we tend to learn what we think is true and the norm. "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." I used to "beat up others" because they wouldn't eat breakfast. After I had educated myself on the science behind it all (why it's truly breaking your fast -no matter what time), it made sense and I had to trust it was true and good. Much the same way as you'd have to trust to up your calorie intake to start losing weight again/break your stall. So, here's a little story, true story I might add.

I have a brother. He's 6"5" and used to be like 350lbs plus. He went to a nutritionist and was told to log what he was eating for a bit. The nutritionist looked it over and said, "You're not eating enough" Mind you, he was obese!!! So, she upped his calories and his weight started to fall off. Today, he's a healthy weight.

My doctor has always gotten on to me for not eating enough. Thus my weight gain. (The body thinks it's in starving mode and will hang on to every fat calorie it gets). I'm sure the other aspects are the terrible food/drink choices I have made in the past. But anyway, I stumbled on the eat more to lose site one day and decided to apply it. That's when I was losing inches/gaining more muscle. Still, I have trouble eating more and I have too much fat on my body still. But I know it works. When I get my sleeve, it's to reset my metabolism. Once I figure out how much my body really needs for maintenance, I'll be making sure I get my calories in---ALTHOUGH, I ABSOLUTELY ABHOR the thought of counting calories, I will in the beginning, if I have to.

I hope this helps!!!

Edited by Newme17

I don't count anything.. is that bad??

It's only bad if you don't have a clear sense of whether or not you are meeting your daily Protein goal.

It's only bad if you don't have a clear sense of whether or not you are meeting your daily Protein goal.

Jamie, I love how logical you are.

I didn't count anything except the number of pounds I lost, the drop in dress sizes and the every day of feeling confident and happy with how I look. Given the less intake, I didn't worry about calories.