Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am not 'fat' enough??!!!

LOL, This thread was so much fun! I was so bleeping angry you couldn't believe it. Here's an update on what happened. I ate and ate trying to gain the 20 lbs to get the 40 bmi, and yes I did lie about my height. Although, I didn't see the post about that until today. I went to my new PCP, wearing jeans, 2 shirts and had 2 baggies filled with pennies stuffed in my bra, and another with quarters in my pants. I'm cracking up just typing it. Anyway, I weighed 8 lbs heavier(256) than when I went to my last WW meeting 2 days before. So, I get to the doc and he looks at my weight and says his scale is 10 lbs TOO HEAVY. :cool2: ARGGGGHHH So he says I actually weigh 246. Can you believe it?? I've never been to a doc office where the scale weighed me lighter than my home scale.

We talked about the Lap Band and he wasn't encouraging or discouraging but said he had 8 patients that have the band and they've all gained the wt. back. Then he told me to consider ordering an obesity drug from the UK (that isn't approved in the US) called Accomplia. He said it would kill my appetite etc etc. It costs about $170-200 for a months supply, cheaper than the band he said.. So I researched it just for the heck of it,=== not for me. After all that and the screening bs:mad: with these other docs, my husbands' company sent home a flyer saying that as of Oct. 1 2007, they will not cover any charges relating to bariatric surgery. :faint::faint::whoo:

Guess who is now going to be self pay??? I have to tell you the relief at being able to skip the 6 month diet pgm, the sleep apnea study etc etc. was unbelievable. How am I paying? I don't have 2 nickels to rub together but I have a dear friend who is loaning me the money. Lapbandland here I come, momma gets a Christmas present this year!

Thanks everyone for your input and for giving me a laugh over a really crappy situation.

I was just curious about why you had issues with Weight Watchers. You said you lost the same 5 or 10 pounds over and over again. I didn't know what was your issue. Just want you to be prepared for getting the lap band and make sure it's the right choice for you especially since you're self paying. It may look easy but it's not. They say it's only a tool, and I haven't seen anyone here tell you that yet but it's very true.

I thought it was going to be my life saver because I had failed with diests my whole life and even if I was successful at losing I'd put it back on eventually and then some.

It has been much harder for me than I ever thought it would be as a lot of foods will go right through the band like junk food and if that's a problem before the band it doesn't automatically go away. It's not just sugary drinks that go through so get as much info as you can and read the good along with the bad. It still takes much willpower once you've been banded and I've learned that the hard way! I have relatives in Lincoln. Good luck with making your decisions brandyII:smile:.

PS also each fill can cost somewhere between $400-$500 each.

Edited by brandyII

PS also each fill can cost somewhere between $400-$500 each.

My fills are $125 in the heart of Manhattan - and I am NOT covered by insurance for them...so check with your doctor :thumbdown:

This was a fun thread.

100lbsforsale - lm*f*ao - pennies in your bra, quarters in your pants! We see what YOU value more :cool2: haha!

Kate E,

That's good to know, maybe if you don't have insurance they'll charge less. Some places will do that.

OMG, I have one bro in Exton PA and one in Lincoln NE what a quinkydink!

holy cow they charge you 500 bucks if you have insurance?

What a racket. The health care system in america...oh man don't get me started, I just found my zen place...

That's funny, six degrees, but they don't have lap bands I'm the only fat one in the family!:cool2:

This exact same thing happened to me. I had my doctor order me a sleep study test for sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is listed as one of the morbid conditions. I knew that I snore and was told that I sometimes stop breathing at night.So, this was basically my last hope or gain 10lbs. Well, it turned out that I had sleep apnea. Now, the ball is roll in my favor. So, don't give up

Part of my extensive pre-op testing was testing in the pulmonary department of the hospital and I don't know what they called that breathing test but I could never get to the point I was supposed to and then when they do the blood test to see the oxygen level in your blood mine was too low which started a whole new thing where I had to meet with a pulmonologist who said I needed a sleep study which I did and was found to have many apneas during the night. But I got the clues I needed it prior at the hospital.

My daughter passed all her pulm tests and had a sleep study prior to her preop for surgery and found that she's a snorer who has disrupted sleep but not apneas. So I don't know if that would have counted toward her comorbids or not but her BMI was high enough so wasn't necessary.

Some clues to having sleep apnea besides snoring can be headaches during the day and usually you're pretty darn tired because you lack a good quality of sleep.

i ate threeslices of pizza the morning of my eval appointment banded 3/08have had a rough time blood sugar is down but i miss the enjoyment of eating sorry band not the miracle i thought one big Unjury commercial

I'll tell you a little secret. My insurance said I wasn't "fat enough" and needed to go weigh again. My doc's office said to wear heavy clothes but I had a better idea!! Of course it being June in Kentucky its very hot so I took my son's weights (10 lbs total) and put them in my purse. When it was time to weigh I kept my purse on my shoulder:thumbup:. I gave what the insurance co wanted! I was approved the same day.

Hi, I am from Oregon and I weigh 247 and am 5'9"1/2 . I am being banded on October 15th by Dr.Ganta. He is in Austin Texas and he is doing my band through my bellie button. You have to have a BMI of no more than 44 to have it done in the bellie button. I am so happy not to have a scar! Also, in Oregon, you can have a BMI that is 35 to get the surgery, it just depends on each individual surgery center.i wish you all the best.

Do you have any health issues at all? My bmi to start was 37.4. However, I did have slight hypertension and sleep apnea, so my insurance approved it right away. You have to ask yourself this question.... have you lost 20 pounds before and gained it back? For me, over the past nine years, I have worked hard and lost 20 pounds many times. BUT, I always managed to put it back on. The chances are really low for keeping weight off with normal dieting. (sorry!!)

I hate to say it But I was at 37 bmi too, and yes I did gain weight for my surgery. About 20 pounds, extra clothes and stuff works too