Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting sleeved with a baby

I'm expecting my surgery to be February/March and at that time my youngest will be 10-11 months old. My husband and other family members will be around to help but I'm also breastfeeding and a bit nervous about that. Has anyone gotten sleeved while having a baby to look after? How did it go? Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone

Hi. I don't have any advice yet. My son will be 8.5 months old when I have surgery on 23 January 2017. I had to stop breastfeeding at 6 months because he was diagnosed lactose intolerant. But still worried about being able to pick him up etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using the BariatricPal App

I have no advice as I'm in the same boat as you. My son is 13 months and still breastfeeding. I have a January 25th surgery date so I'm trying to wean.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Did you discuss the breastfeeding with your surgeon?

You basically have no energy for the first 6 weeks and you won't be able to lift your baby for 2 weeks to a month because of hernia risk.

Good luck. I would never get sleeved with a baby that you to care for.

I am 5 days post op and I have a 15month old and it is hard. Lately he has been so clingy to me and he just crys for me to pick him up but I know I can't and I feel so bad and guilty. But luckily my husband is such a big help. He helps so much. He picks him up and puts him on my lap but that's every now and then. Good luck to you mommys out there.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just had my surgery and my baby is 4 months old. How did you keep your supply? I have basically lost mine and all I can do is cry because I feel like I've been so selfish.

Sleeved 4/15/17
Height: 5'6"
HW: 267
SW: 244
Current: 236

This is the hardest obstacle I've ever tackled next to parenting, but I think I got this.

Ultimately, it's probably best to just let it go. 4 months is better than none. Babies do fine on formula, and with dehydration and malnourishment as a possibility for you, breastfeeding right now isn't ideal. Do yourself and your baby the favor of taking care of you right now.

Edited by Berry78

I wonder if it's the same as breastfeeding and caring for a baby after csection? It hurts, you're tired constantly, don't get nearly the help needed, and there's risk of infection and incision popping open if you lift anything. (Happened to me. )
If it's similar, it's doable. Just have to be slow, cautious and smart about all movements.

HW: 328 (02/22/17)
SW: TBD
CW: 292

Keep in mind newborns are less than 10lbs. Older babies are significantly heavier. Be sure to clear infant care with the surgeon based on your individual circumstances.

18 hours ago, B.Annie said:

I wonder if it's the same as breastfeeding and caring for a baby after csection? It hurts, you're tired constantly, don't get nearly the help needed, and there's risk of infection and incision popping open if you lift anything. (Happened to me. )
If it's similar, it's doable. Just have to be slow, cautious and smart about all movements.

HW: 328 (02/22/17)
SW: TBD
CW: 292

I think SOME of that is similar, but no definitely not the same. The pain and fatigue are there, but after a c-section you can eat and drink! There is no way you can adequately breastfeed a child on 600 calories a day and struggling to get in even 20 oz of Water. You are already at serious risk of dehydration post-op... there's no way you can produce milk at the same time!

I think it's an either/or. Surgery OR breastfeeding. Both is completely unrealistic. And what you choose is up to your priorities as a mom. Neither choice is the wrong one, it's just what works for you and your baby. Postpone the surgery or wean the baby a little earlier than you'd planned. Either way, life goes on.

As for the pain and fatigue and lifting restrictions... speaking as a post-op mom of a toddler, you will need ROUND THE CLOCK help for at least the first couple weeks. "Oh my husband only works 9-5 but is home otherwise and my mom is staying with me for two days post-op" ain't gonna cut it. Even after the pain and fatigue get more manageable, you can't lift that baby in or out of the crib, or in and out of the carseat. I had an arrangement that my husband stayed home from work the first week when I was at my worst, then when he went back, he would go in a little later so he could get the baby out of the crib in the morning. Then my mom would come over to either get her into the car for us to do errands or to put her in and out of her crib for naps. She'd go home when my husband came back from work. Then my husband would put the baby to bed at night.

It's honestly been pretty tough. I don't regret having my surgery at all, but my kiddo is almost 2 and walking. I don't know if I'd be able to handle the pressures of a significantly younger baby who is still feeding through the night and needs to be carried everywhere. Not unless I had my mother or husband there 24/7 for those 6 weeks you have the lifting restrictions.

You've got a decision ahead of you, mama.

Edited by teacupnosaucer

Sorry but my opinion would be to postpone the surgery, is there an insurance reason you can't postpone it? Or other reason, other than wanting it right this minute??

The baby is a baby once and that nursing bond would take priority over the surgery at this point. The people suggesting you quit - were you a breastfeeding mother?

19 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Sorry but my opinion would be to postpone the surgery, is there an insurance reason you can't postpone it? Or other reason, other than wanting it right this minute??

The baby is a baby once and that nursing bond would take priority over the surgery at this point. The people suggesting you quit - were you a breastfeeding mother?

I breastfed one child until two years old (and I only weaned because I was forced to due to medical reasons) and the other was using formula by two months old... So I've been in both positions. I don't think it's a matter of "just wean LOL" because I know how special breastfeeding can be, but I also don't think it's a matter of "breastfeeding should take priority over everything ever."

Some mothers prioritize breastfeeding in their lives and others do not. There's nothing wrong with either mom or either choice as long as baby is fed and mom feels comfortable with her decision. I definitely think that if you're going to regret stopping nursing early, or if stopping nursing is going to cause hardship in your home, then delay the surgery until you ARE comfortable weaning, whenever that may be.

Breastfeeding aside, though, I would STILL recommend postponing the surgery for any mom of a baby under one. I just think trying to care for an infant while recovering from a major surgery such as this one sounds like gruelling punishment for everyone involved.

For those pre-ops saying "moms care for babies after c-sections though" I'd like to note that there are many c-section veterans who went into bariatric surgery thinking it would be the same or no worse than their c-section and discovered the opposite. Not saying caring for a newborn after a c-section is any easy feat (C-section moms are warriors!) but this surgery knocks you out HARD... Even if you don't have any complications, you're barely getting any calories for energy, you're on some heavy duty painkillers, and you have to put a lot of mental effort and time into making sure you're eating and drinking enough. I just can't imagine doing that when you're also caring for a baby around the clock. You're practically a newborn yourself sipping Soup every two hours and struggling to poop LOL.

So yeah... unless you've got a seriously urgent or compelling reason to have this surgery right away, (your insurance is running out, if you reject this date you won't get another one for five years, etc...) I'd wait until baby is a little older.

But at the very least, be realistic and know that breastfeeding likely isn't going to happen post-op and that you're going to need way more support for yourself and that baby than you probably realize now.

Your surgeon should know you're breastfeeding, as well. That's important medical info!

I'm sorry but I am able to get plenty of liquids down. I'm 8 days post op and drinking 70 fl oz a day Protein and 30/40 fl oz of Water. I have been power pumping, drinking Protein Shakes with added vitamins/brewers yeast/fenugreek and drinking mothers tea to boost my supply, feeding my baby every 2 hours and it's coming back. Anything is possible if you want it bad enough. I had a weak moment yesterday but after support from my breastfeeding group and following their advice I'm in a better place.

Also, my doctor was fully aware that I have a 4 month old and that I am breastfeeding. He told me to bring my pump and pump/dump in the hospital etc...

Ladies do whatever makes you happy. You can do whatever you want! Every single day gets easier for me.

Sleeved 4/15/17

This is the hardest obstacle I've ever tackled next to parenting, but I think I got this.

I'm not sure why people are posting their personal experiences as if they're the same across the board for everyone. I have a 3, 1 and 4 month old and have been chasing after them since day 3 post op. I am not tired. I have no issues getting my fluids down. I'm not sick. I stopped taking pain meds after day 3. etc...stop discouraging people.

Sleeved 4/15/17