Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Addicted to My 600 pound life.

I enjoy "Fat Doctor" much more. It's about people more like us who aren't so super morbidly obese. The doctor on the show is a sweetheart, and I feel much more empathetic than Dr Now. It's a UK show and you can catch episodes on YouTube.

awwww! I just watched the first ep of Fat Doctor. I think I have a new obsession! Thanks, @@Babbs !

@@Malin

I'm not going to spoil it, but there's one in season 2 that will break your heart :(

Personally, never got why people like shows such as this or Hoarders. I'm not a fan of watching other real peoples' struggles as entertainment.

To each their own, haha!

I have a deep seeded obsession with hoarders and intervention. Makes me feel more normal I suppose lol. I figure generally they go on the tele and share their stories to get a hand up/ out (depending on the person). In turn I get to feel like I'm not a complete nut for 45 minutes. Lol well that's enough of me for the day I'm off to therapy .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You know what's a funny (odd) observation I just made?

All the comments about this show and how it drives people crazy that some of these people aren't compliant with their surgeries and how they like Dr Now because he doesn't put up with excuses? People who point the same things out to others in this very forum are told they aren't being supportive and are called bullies.

Why is that?

When you watch it on T.V. it put's a distance between oneself and those on the show. You see non compliance in others, but not yourself. When it's pointed out in real life, it's taken personal....I hope I made sense :) When I say "you," I mean all of us in general......

@@Babbs, your before and after pictures are beautiful!

Edited by Montana Gal

I watched a few episodes of 600lb and it's far to frustrating and depressing. I'll try the fat doc show.

You know what's a funny (odd) observation I just made?

All the comments about this show and how it drives people crazy that some of these people aren't compliant with their surgeries and how they like Dr Now because he doesn't put up with excuses? People who point the same things out to others in this very forum are told they aren't being supportive and are called bullies.

Why is that?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight!

I have issues with the whiney people on the show. I still watch though. ;-) And the enablers. OH MY WORD!!! But remember, they post the most interesting cases, or most annoying people, on the show.

So when I was in the hospital for my sleeve one of my nurses (just happened to be a new neighbor I hadn't yet met) complimented me on how well I was doing with all the changes. I am no super strong person believe me, but I have had a lot of surgeries the last two years due to cancer, plus chemo, and all that comes with that. Compared to all that, this surgery was a radar blip for me, and nothing more. (so far. I'm only 3 weeks out. LOL) Anyway, I was doing laps every hour, starting a couple hours after surgery, mostly because my back hurts so bad to lay in bed. The nurse, who was sleeved herself two years ago, said, "A lot of the people in this (bariatric) unit are used to having people do everything for them. A lot of them are pretty whiney, and a lot are hard to get up and moving because they think if they feel ANY pain at all their world is ending." Her comment reminded me of the show because I see a lot of that on the show.

Edited by seeingme

I am 50/50 on "addicted to my 600lb life" empathetic & frustrating at the same time.

I'm with Babbs, I love My 600 lb life, BUT I ADORE FAT DOCTOR. That series on Youtube became my primary source of information before my surgery. My favorite episodes are the 'cookery author', and the 3 sisters. I can relate to those gals for sure, also Sasha Cohen and Joy Vaughn. Absolutely loved her!! And...it doesn't hurt that Shaw Somers is pretty easy on the eyes!

I watched every single episode in 2014, prior to my surgery. It helped a lot. I'm a sleever, and there is only one sleeve episode, but the overall stories are awesome. Plus, I love learning about the NHS system. I'm a nurse by education and almost a NP, so i'm always interested in learning about national healthcare!

I love My 600 lb Life though too, and actually bought Season 1 from Amazon. I WISH that TLC would release the seasons on DVD. They could make a killing just from advertising on these forums!!!! I'd buy every single season if I could.

A few years ago, I was almost 700 lbs and had large lymphedema tumors, so I contacted the show My 600 lbs Life, because I loved the show, and my life was beyond miserable and I needed the help that surgery could provide.

I sent photos and video footage of myself to the producers of the show, and they eventually decided to send a camera crew to my home for roughly a week to film an episode.

I was told after filming part one, I would have relocate temporarily to Houston, Texas to film a doctor's evaluation with Dr. Now, and later finally have surgery. I agreed to EVERYTHING, because I was so desperate for surgery.

However, after the week of filming in my life in my home, and interviewing my family members, the camera crew packed up and left, and then no one associated with the production would take my calls or call me back and this went on for weeks, meanwhile I had already made preparations to move to Houston.

After a couple months of no contact, I finally made one more call, and I was told by some nameless associate of the production, that there wasn't any interest in filming the rest of the episode with me because I simply wasn't disabled enough and didn't have any real drama going on in my life, as I don't have any kids or a dysfunctional relationship with a horrible spouse.

Fast forward a year later I was finally able to get the awesome surgery that I needed via Medicare and while I was in the hospital recovering I received a call from someone associated with the show, and I was asked how I was doing and if I was still interested in shooting the rest of the episode. I hung the phone up without saying a word. Unbelievable!

I still enjoy watching the show because it provides life changing help to people who really need it, but the idea of having to exploit one's awful condition and life in order to receive desperately needed help is just terrible.

I'm so thankful that the episode didn't get produced because I would never truly want anyone to see me in that dreadful condition, and I soon after found the will and the strength to lose almost 250 lbs all on my own and I just got sleeved two weeks ago and I've lost another 25 lbs since then.

Btw, I'm looking forward to seeing the new season of the show as well as all of you!

Don't look back, turn the page, and let your next chapter begin!

I am obsessed with this show too. The worst part is seeing them take huge bites and eating donuts and McDonald's after surgery! Wth , I want to throat punch them

The people on that show are not representative of (for lack of a better word) "normal" WLS patients. Imagine watch an episode of my life. Come with me to get a pedicure, listen to my husband and me while we have coffee and talk about out day or nag my son into cleaning his bathroom, then watch me hang out with my girlfriends... I have a wonderful full life but you'd have to film me for a few months to get an hour of anything resembling drama.

When I saw the show for the first time I was appalled. Since then I have (re) considered. Could let thousands of strangers watch me laying in bed and having someone wait on me (and wash me!) because I can't take care of myself in exchange for free medical care? Maybe.

As for the viewers of reality TV...The whining miserable self destructive patients and their dysfunctional enabling families reflect poorly on more typical WLS patients and that bothers me. I do get why people like watching "My 600lb life", and reality TV in general. It's the same as driving past a wreckon the highway...we know it's messed up but can't help ourselves, we just have to look.

I'm so thankful that the episode didn't get produced because I would never truly want anyone to see me in that dreadful condition, and I soon after found the will and the strength to lose almost 250 lbs all on my own and I just got sleeved two weeks ago and I've lost another 25 lbs since then.

Btw, I'm looking forward to seeing the new season of the show as well as all of you!

Don't look back, turn the page, and let your next chapter begin!

Congratulations Big Bird, losing 250lbs on your own is an amazing accomplishment! Plus you set yourself up for a great recovery.

The exploitative nature of the show is another reason I can't stomach it. On the other hand, I watched one episode of the fat doc last night. It was educational, inspirational and brought me to tears a couple of times. I can't wait to watch more!