Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your defining moment?

My moment was when I had to cut the largest size of a pattern out for a costume I wanted to wear to ComiCon. (I'm a part time seamstress as well as a full-time gov analyst). And that pattern was the largest size set pattern. I was shocked. AND I had to make narrow seams to make that fit. YEAH...I had to do something instead of popping diet pills. THAT was an expensive, fruitless endeavor.

I'd say it was having to go home to my family and friends after gaining 20 lbs in 1 yr. I was just getting bigger and bigger every dang year. I think I was about 180 when I got married, then I had a baby and went up to 195, then another baby took me to 225, a yr at home with the baby up to 230, moving away from my family up to 235-240...all in 10 yrs. I hated the way I looked without clothes and I couldn't fit anything in regular stores anymore.

My father in law had a gastric bypass this summer and I wanted him loose like 40 lbs in 6 weeks. So I said let's see if I can get approved for something similar. No need to wait until I'm 60, with a stroke, diabetes and HBP.

Honestly I didn't think it was going to happen until it did...and I'm so glad!! I've been overweight since I was like 17. The lowest weight I can recall was about 148 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I didn't really have issues with How I looked (sexy then sexier now lol). My turning point was that my sexy was not lining up with the high blood pressure and my endocrinologist telling me that the 140 units of Lantus along with the three shots of 22-30 units of fast acting insulin before each meal that did it for me. Came home and had a very long conversation with myself about the reality of my health. I was a fitness instructor so my body was very toned that was what I used as my argument and crutch.

My defining moment was out of control diabetes. I was borderline bmi but qualified and had surgery on 12/16. It took me 6 months to get approved and get my blood sugars down enough to have surgery. I just acknowledged to myself that if I want to get older and have my organs last I need to change. 10 days post op and I'm down 22lbs from qualifying weight. Blood sugars are all over the place but I realize my body is changing even at 54 and I need to monitor and keep moving. Here is to all our organs being healthy and giving them a chance to age gracefully. My surgery also included gallbladder removal and hiatal hernia repair. I've had it all from Constipation to now diarrhea. Nausea and pain has subsided. So far all worth it. Have had no regret just times of omg I have really changed things. At this point I'm thankful for the opportunity to change.

I agree, salut' to our healthier bodies and happier lives.

My defining moment was out of control diabetes. I was borderline bmi but qualified and had surgery on 12/16. It took me 6 months to get approved and get my blood sugars down enough to have surgery. I just acknowledged to myself that if I want to get older and have my organs last I need to change. 10 days post op and I'm down 22lbs from qualifying weight. Blood sugars are all over the place but I realize my body is changing even at 54 and I need to monitor and keep moving. Here is to all our organs being healthy and giving them a chance to age gracefully. My surgery also included gallbladder removal and hiatal hernia repair. I've had it all from Constipation to now diarrhea. Nausea and pain has subsided. So far all worth it. Have had no regret just times of omg I have really changed things. At this point I'm thankful for the opportunity to change.

I've always been obese. Obese but quite active and healthy.

Didn't eat junk. Just ate a lot of starchy food (west-african staples tend to be rich in carbs). I also played some rugby some years ago, and still regularly played soccer. Over the years I found my speed and endurance waning. I would run to one end of the field, but would walk back, slowly, completely out of breath. My Blood sugar, triglycerides, cholesterol were all excellent, but I started getting recurrent back injuries.

We took a group picture after winning a local tourney, and I took a glance at my stomach.. I felt so bad. Told a friend about it, who then asked if I'd ever considered bariatric surgery?

I told him insurance won't cover it. He told me to call.. I did and they said it was covered (with some caveats). I grudgingly visited my PCP to kick start the process and discovered I was hypertensive ( 160/100) . That erased any lingering doubt. Also took a look at my weight and saw that I'd moved to 356 (from 345 last winter). It was obvious that my body had started decompensating, and it was time to act..

Sent from my SM-N900P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Middus

For me it just clicked one day. I was 25 years old and over 300 pounds. I didn't fit on all the rides at amusement parks, I was always afraid of not fitting in booths, I was winded and sweaty after a flight of stairs, I had even broken toilet seats. I just knew I had to do something if I wanted to have kids someday and be around when my kids have kids. I had to do something if I wanted to be alive to care for my parents when they're old. I had to do something if I didn't want to have a heart attack in 5-10 years. So I began my journey to become healthier and I just got sleeved a week ago!

What a great question! I am fascinated by how many people can identify the moment they decided to change their lives! It brings a tear to my eye.

I remember the day that I nonchalantly decided to suspend all my judgment, all my fear, and "feel "how it would be if I got the surgery.

To my shock, I experienced a sensation of this great opening of space inside of me. It was expensive and it was light. That was the moment when I knew I needed to look into this more seriously.

Following this catalyst was a series of inner events in which my subconscious kept producing beautiful images of how happy and free life could feel if I were thinner and able to engage with it. This quickly tipped me over the edge and I made my surgical appointment.

It's now a bit over a year later and I'm down 130 pounds, living a completely new lifestyle that would have been impossible before, and finding myself much more outgoing and social and I was able to be at 320+ pounds.

I've always been "healthy fat." I worked out regularly, was really active. Last September, I slipped and fell to my knees. The fall tore my PCL in my right knee. It was excruciating.

The orthopedist told me that there wasn't really anything they could do. However, I'd probably heal better if I lost weight. By the time January rolled around, I had also developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot.

One evening, I was going downstairs to go to bed, and it was agonizing. I was clutching the banister and making baby steps. It took me several minutes to get down a single flight of steps. I knew then that I could not continue. If my mobility was this compromised at age 43, how could I expect to live 20 or 30 more years? I signed up for the next info session at my surgeon's that night.

I'm currently 90 pounds down. My plantar fasciitis has resolved itself, and though I can't completely straighten or bend my right leg, I'm not in pain and I gain more mobility every week.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Well, in 2011 we went to the (then) brand new Harry Potter ride at Universal Studios, then only open a few days..I had to get 3 'clicks' on this harness that strapped you in like a child's baby seat and they could only get two. My gut and hips met where the fun began.. I started this path that fall. I also, bailed out right before surgery. I'd lost some weight naturally and walked away from surgery...

Fast forward 5 years to more up and downs, weight gain and know arthritic knee pain, dragging myself and my ass around school, uncomfortable having sexy times cause of my gut, knee, general health. There is a pic on my profile while dancing with a friend that shows the "full monty' (my backside) that set me over the edge.

I am now 14 days post surgery and down (only?) 10 pounds.

@ Anna Nim, You're doing fabulous. Weight will come off , do what you are supposed to do and follow docs orders. I am 3 weeks post op and down 21 pounds but some people are down 25 pounds in 2 weeks. That doesn't bother me at all. Maybe they were bigger than I was on surgery day. My day of surgery I was 219 and as my surgeon said that is a lower bmi so I may lose slower but I started out at 242 lbs. So , when I see those amazing 3000 lbs lost in 2 weeks( I'm being sarcastic, lol) I don't worry about it and I keep doing what I'm supposed to do. Our journeys are our own individual journey. Don't be discouraged by numbers, what is your body showing you? Is it easier to walk down the street , are your clothes becoming looser, etc., etc. Create your own victories and don't be discouraged at all. Take care

Well, in 2011 we went to the (then) brand new Harry Potter ride at Universal Studios, then only open a few days..I had to get 3 'clicks' on this harness that strapped you in like a child's baby seat and they could only get two. My gut and hips met where the fun began.. I started this path that fall. I also, bailed out right before surgery. I'd lost some weight naturally and walked away from surgery...

Fast forward 5 years to more up and downs, weight gain and know arthritic knee pain, dragging myself and my ass around school, uncomfortable having sexy times cause of my gut, knee, general health. There is a pic on my profile while dancing with a friend that shows the "full monty' (my backside) that set me over the edge.

I am now 14 days post surgery and down (only?) 10 pounds.

So glad that you made the decision to be sleeved. I toiled over this decision for 5 years and finally said hay I have to take care of me. So I did. 3 weeks post op down 21 lbs and I am now a resident of onederland. God has been so good to me and I feel truly blessed to have this opportunity to be healthy again.

For me it just clicked one day. I was 25 years old and over 300 pounds. I didn't fit on all the rides at amusement parks, I was always afraid of not fitting in booths, I was winded and sweaty after a flight of stairs, I had even broken toilet seats. I just knew I had to do something if I wanted to have kids someday and be around when my kids have kids. I had to do something if I wanted to be alive to care for my parents when they're old. I had to do something if I didn't want to have a heart attack in 5-10 years. So I began my journey to become healthier and I just got sleeved a week ago!

@Dknal2

Thanks!

I guess you are right. I am now 39 BMI, so I would expect no more/At Most one lb a day.

I KNOW I slowed my own progress by eating some candy (recees mini cups and some chocolate covered bullshit) on Christmas Eve. I know it was dangerous and shooting myself in the foot. I know it knocked me outta ketiosis and carb weight loss...anytime you go off track, it will derail your weight loss for at least two days, but the scale showed me I am back on track again!

See there ... you have this under control. Leave the chocolate alone for now though, lol.... you will do just great. I can tell you are so full of life. You got this!!????????????

@Dknal2

Thanks!

I guess you are right. I am now 39 BMI, so I would expect no more/At Most one lb a day.

I KNOW I slowed my own progress by eating some candy (recees mini cups and some chocolate covered bullshit) on Christmas Eve. I know it was dangerous and shooting myself in the foot. I know it knocked me outta ketiosis and carb weight loss...anytime you go off track, it will derail your weight loss for at least two days, but the scale showed me I am back on track again!

My moment was when my family went sledding last winter and I was too scared to go down the hill because I wouldn't have made it back up the hill. I started the 6 month process in February and was sleeved in September. I am down almost 70 pounds and I think I could go this year. I don't want to miss out on another moment because of my weight,