Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone use Dr. Fitzer at Virginia Bariatric?

29 minutes ago, SampTheChamp said:

Where and when is Dr. Fitzer's support group? I need to go. I haven't been to one and I need to go badly. I think it'll be good to just be able to speak with people face to face about their journey. Thanks

Dr. Fitzer's support group meets on April 2nd at 6pm. Reston Hospital Center's "Staple Club" support group meets tomorrow, March 15th, at 6:30pm. Both groups meet once a month, but not always on the same day. Call Dr. F's office and ask them to e-mail you the support group schedule for 2018. Both groups meet in Conference Room A in Pavilion II, 2nd floor (building next door to Dr. F's office). There were probably 25-30 people at the group - more than I expected!

How long can you not drive after surgery...or when can you return to work?

They don’t want you driving for 1 week - I drove today which is day 9 for me.

I am returning physically to work on Monday, but was lucky enough to be able to telework this week. So I “returned” to work a week after surgery, but it’s with a laptop in my big recliner, PJs, and blankets - so I’m not sure that qualifies.

They don’t want you driving for 1 week - I drove today which is day 9 for me.

I am returning physically to work on Monday, but was lucky enough to be able to telework this week. So I “returned” to work a week after surgery, but it’s with a laptop in my big recliner, PJs, and blankets - so I’m not sure that qualifies.

Ok. I am a special needs transportation Aide, so I am on the bus awhile and also in the class for 2 hrs...

29 minutes ago, tera73 said:

How long can you not drive after surgery...or when can you return to work?

He said to wait week or until you feel up to it and not on pain meds. I took 2 weeks of from work and was perfectly fine. I'm a PE teacher so I was a little worried initially, but it was all good. Every is different.

24 minutes ago, gr8ful1 said:

Dr. Fitzer's support group meets on April 2nd at 6pm. Reston Hospital Center's "Staple Club" support group meets tomorrow, March 15th, at 6:30pm. Both groups meet once a month, but not always on the same day. Call Dr. F's office and ask them to e-mail you the support group schedule for 2018. Both groups meet in Conference Room A in Pavilion II, 2nd floor (building next door to Dr. F's office). There were probably 25-30 people at the group - more than I expected!

Thank you

1 hour ago, SampTheChamp said:

After surgery he put the fear of god in me about following the rules and not busting my pouch. Needless to say, he and i were on the same page when i left. lol

I hope I'll remember my post-surgery talk with him. Last time I had surgery, my wife told me that the doctor talked to us in the recovery room about how the surgery went, and I asked him a couple of questions which he answered. But I have *no* recollection of seeing the doctor after surgery! I understand that this is because of the affects of anesthesia, and it happens to lots of people. Maybe I should tell my wife to take notes or record the post-surgery discussion on her phone. LOL.

45 minutes ago, Roxine said:

WOW! Great job! How do you feel? What’s it like 3 months out? At 9 days Post-Op, that just seems so far away... but there’s no turning back now :)

Do you attend the staple club meetings or any support groups in the Reston area?

Thank you so much. It feels amazing. You feel back to normal. Still trying to figure out my relationship with food. So different!! I feel amazing. It definitely gets better. Get ready cause you're about to really see the benefit of the surgery. It's awesome.

I'm planning to start going to the meetings. I need them! How long do they last?

I hope I'll remember my post-surgery talk with him. Last time I had surgery, my wife told me that the doctor talked to us in the recovery room about how the surgery went, and I asked him a couple of questions which he answered. But I have *no* recollection of seeing the doctor after surgery! I understand that this is because of the affects of anesthesia, and it happens to lots of people. Maybe I should tell my wife to take notes or record the post-surgery discussion on her phone. LOL.

I haven’t been to one yet. Will probably attend next month

I believe the meetings are designed to last around an hour. If I can make it out there, tomorrow will be my first time attending the hospital-sponsored group. From what I heard at the Dr. F group last month, they invite guest speakers to many of the group meetings. No guest speaker last month, which I think left more time for discussion and Q&A. I think that was just what I needed at this early point in my journey. I got to ask a couple of questions and I received immediate answers from several veterans who have "been there, done that." Suzanne and a plastic surgeon who does skin removal are a couple of the speakers that the group hosts have invited to present at future group meetings.

Has anyone gotten the sleeve with Dr. Fitzer? Seems like only does bypass curious if anyone has experience with the sleeve and him.

My friend got the sleeve...she was the one who recommended him to me. She is almost 2 years out...she is doing great.

2 hours ago, sheerdown said:

Has anyone gotten the sleeve with Dr. Fitzer? Seems like only does bypass curious if anyone has experience with the sleeve and him.

He does do the sleeve, however, he will give you his professional opinion on which option to choose based off of your situation. He will ultimately give you the surgery of your choice. He's awesome!!! You will not regret it. He and his staff ROCK!!!

Hi guys - just a quick question...for week it says I can have tuna and salmon (canned or pre-packaged I believe - not looking at my list right now)

Do you think crab would be allowed?

Thanks for any input.

55 minutes ago, Roxine said:

Hi guys - just a quick question...for week it says I can have tuna and salmon (canned or pre-packaged I believe - not looking at my list right now)

Do you think crab would be allowed?

Thanks for any input.

I wouldn't. When I was at that phase I thought about it but the paper says not to. It's up to you. Just be smart. You don't wanna upset your pouch so early into recovery. That time is coming when you can eat everything. Just be safe.

On 3/13/2018 at 5:46 PM, tera73 said:

Went to apt #11 last week. I do still have the last few things to do. I have apt #12 April 4. My insurance required me to lose 40 pounds. It has been a struggle. As of my last apt, I still have 15 pounds to lose. I was disappointed because the patient before me was on her next to last visit and they scheduled her surgery...I talked to Suzanne and I’m on a strict diet the next 3 weeks. She thinks I will lose the 15 pounds, but didn’t want to stress me out by giving me a surgery date. I talked to Jamie, the nurse Practitioner and got emotional and cried. I felt like I failed. Heather told me not to schedule the apt with Azra yet. My dr is sending a letter to them recommending me for surgery but I’ll still have to go see her for lab work and ekg. I was thinking surgery would be at Reston, but wasn’t sure. The lady before me this past Friday, when they scheduled her...they asked her if she wanted fair oaks or Haymarket. I appreciate all of you!

How's it going, Tera? Losing 15 pounds in 3 weeks is tough but possible. I've lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks on "Phase 1" of the South Beach Diet. I've also lost at about the same rate when I was on a medical weight loss program at Fair Oaks Hospital, drinking Opti Fast shakes. If it takes you a bit more than 3 weeks, well, that's why they're not pressuring you with a surgery date yet. They want you to be where you need to be to have the best chance for the best outcome. So do what you can to drop the pounds but don't sweat it if it takes a few more days or weeks than you had hoped for. Just keep the scale moving in right direction and you *will* get there.