Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone use Dr. Fitzer at Virginia Bariatric?

I have #11 appointment with Suzanne on Friday. Will I have more things to do over this last month? I have PEIA insurance...how long does approval normally take??

Take a look at the checklist they gave you. There are a few things you have to do in the 30 days before your surgery date. You have to see the PA, you have to see your primary care doc for a couple of tests and get surgery clearance, you have to talk to the hospital where you are getting your surgery, etc. You are almost there! I’m jealous!

It all depends on your insurance company. I got my approval right away. It might would help to if you nagged the insurance company or have Heather stay on them to get a decision made. She is really good about getting stuff done.

And what he said. Review the “Itinerary” checklist and call Heather to make sure you are on track for insurance approval and surgery scheduling. Are you having surgery at Reston? I just watched the video from Azra. It answers some questions about Reston.
Image1520969174.716375.jpg

Hi all -

I just had my Gastric Bypass surgery last Monday - March 5, 2018

Dr Fitzer is the best. He doesn’t pull any punches. He tells you exactly what he expects from you and what the consequences of not following the program he laid out for you are. And believe me, you will have a scared straight moment with him in the hospital room Post-Op. And it works! I will NOT pop my pouch!

The entire staff at Dr. Fitzer’s office are wonderful. Suzanne called today just to check in and see if I had any questions.

I highly recommend Dr. Fitzer.

And I’m happy to meet all of you and look forward to sharing this journey with you. If you’re having surgery in March, I stared a March Gastric Bypass group - come join us!

Roxine

Went to apt #11 last week. I do still have the last few things to do. I have apt #12 April 4. My insurance required me to lose 40 pounds. It has been a struggle. As of my last apt, I still have 15 pounds to lose. I was disappointed because the patient before me was on her next to last visit and they scheduled her surgery...I talked to Suzanne and I’m on a strict diet the next 3 weeks. She thinks I will lose the 15 pounds, but didn’t want to stress me out by giving me a surgery date. I talked to Jamie, the nurse Practitioner and got emotional and cried. I felt like I failed. Heather told me not to schedule the apt with Azra yet. My dr is sending a letter to them recommending me for surgery but I’ll still have to go see her for lab work and ekg. I was thinking surgery would be at Reston, but wasn’t sure. The lady before me this past Friday, when they scheduled her...they asked her if she wanted fair oaks or Haymarket. I appreciate all of you!

Hi all -

Dr Fitzer is the best. He doesn’t pull any punches. He tells you exactly what he expects from you and what the consequences of not following the program he laid out for you are. And believe me, you will have a scared straight moment with him in the hospital room Post-Op. And it works! I will NOT pop my pouch!

The entire staff at Dr. Fitzer’s office are wonderful. Suzanne called today just to check in and see if I had any questions.

And I’m happy to meet all of you and look forward to sharing this journey with you. If you’re having surgery in March, I stared a March Gastric Bypass group - come join us!

Roxine

How are you doing Roxine? How was your pain afterwards? Congrats!!!

How are you doing Roxine? How was your pain afterwards? Congrats!!!

Thanks! Immediately after surgery my pain was the worst - but it was 80% gas pain - AND you get pain meds which really help. That’s why it’s so important to walk, walk, walk as soon as you can. It expedites the gas releases.

I stopped taking the pain meds late Tuesday - once I started passing gas I immediately felt much better. Plus I don’t like taking addictive medication. I was released Wednesday morning.

The incision pain is more related to guarding - wanting to protect the incision sites - so I felt it more in my back and shoulders from tension.

I wasn’t able to sleep on my back for the first 5 days but can now sleep on my side relatively pain free.

3 hours ago, Roxine said:

Hi all -

Roxine

Thanks for sharing your experience, Roxine! My initial consultation with Dr. Fitzer was last month, so I think my surgery will be near or in August-September.

What do you all think about the support groups? Do you attend one or both? I attended Dr Fitzer's group for the first time last Monday and I thought it was excellent. I guess I'll check out the "Staple Club" this Thursday night.

What do you all think about the support groups? Do you attend one or both? I attended Dr Fitzer's group for the first time last Monday and I thought it was excellent. I guess I'll check out the "Staple Club" this Thursday night.

I haven’t went to any of the support groups. I’m an hour away from Dr Fitzer Office, so Heather said it was ok that I was on here and several Facebook pages...but I’ve thought about going.

21 hours ago, Roxine said:

Hi all -

Roxine

Yes indeed! You are so right! Dr. Fitz is amazing and super knowledgeable. I remember when i can my first consult with him. He was super straight to the point and no sense of humor at all. I remember thinking that I liked him because he we so into his work. He had an answer and explanation for every question that I had for him. He told it just the way it was and made you aware of what you were getting yourself into. The day of surgery he came into my pre-surgery from while i was getting prepped and he was sooooo aninmated and excited! That made me feel so much more comfortable because that let me know that he was exited about performing surgeries and super comfortable and confident in his abilities! I joked with him because that was a side of that I never seen while going through the program. With that being said, I went into the operating room super comfortable and confident. After surgery he put the fear of god in me about following the rules and not busting my pouch. Needless to say, he and i were on the same page when i left. lol

Having my bypass on 12/18/17 was the best decision I have ever made. I never had any complications or pain after surgery. I actually drove home from the hospital when released. Don't tell him that, hahaha. Dr. Fitz's staff is absolute amazing. Super helpful and very nice. I could talk all day about them. I'm super happy for you and everyone that has taken a chance on surgery and choosing Dr. Fitzer and his staff.

Sorry to write so much, but it felt good to be able to vent all of that because I haven't seen many people on these forums that have had Dr. Fitzer and his staff. It's nice to talk to people that share a lot of the same details from the beginning to the end with Dr. Fitzer. Good luck to yall!!!

Yes indeed! You are so right! Dr. Fitz is amazing and super knowledgeable. I remember when i can my first consult with him. He was super straight to the point and no sense of humor at all. I remember thinking that I liked him because he we so into his work. He had an answer and explanation for every question that I had for him. He told it just the way it was and made you aware of what you were getting yourself into. The day of surgery he came into my pre-surgery from while i was getting prepped and he was sooooo aninmated and excited! That made me feel so much more comfortable because that let me know that he was exited about performing surgeries and super comfortable and confident in his abilities! I joked with him because that was a side of that I never seen while going through the program. With that being said, I went into the operating room super comfortable and confident. After surgery he put the fear of god in me about following the rules and not busting my pouch. Needless to say, he and i were on the same page when i left. lol
Having my bypass on 12/18/17 was the best decision I have ever made. I never had any complications or pain after surgery. I actually drove home from the hospital when released. Don't tell him that, hahaha. Dr. Fitz's staff is absolute amazing. Super helpful and very nice. I could talk all day about them. I'm super happy for you and everyone that has taken a chance on surgery and choosing Dr. Fitzer and his staff.
Sorry to write so much, but it felt good to be able to vent all of that because I haven't seen many people on these forums that have had Dr. Fitzer and his staff. It's nice to talk to people that share a lot of the same details from the beginning to the end with Dr. Fitzer. Good luck to yall!!!

How are you doing - are you now 3 months Post-Op! Share stats :)

17 hours ago, gr8ful1 said:

Where and when is Dr. Fitzer's support group? I need to go. I haven't been to one and I need to go badly. I think it'll be good to just be able to speak with people face to face about their journey. Thanks

Just now, Roxine said:

How are you doing - are you now 3 months Post-Op! Share stats :)

Yes ma'am I am!!! hahaha. I started with Dr. Fitzer in early October 2017. My heaviest weight a few years ago was 492. Here are the stats since I started in October.

HW- 475
SW- 444
CW- 365
GW- 250ish

Yes ma'am I am!!! hahaha. I started with Dr. Fitzer in early October 2017. My heaviest weight a few years ago was 492. Here are the stats since I started in October.
HW- 475
SW- 444
CW- 365
GW- 250ish

WOW! Great job! How do you feel? What’s it like 3 months out? At 9 days Post-Op, that just seems so far away... but there’s no turning back now :)

Do you attend the staple club meetings or any support groups in the Reston area?

How long can you not drive after surgery...or when can you return to work?