Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was ready to eat the squirrel...

If I could have laid hands on him. We live on a very old farm, or what it left of it. The house is approximately 200 years old. We also own all the outbuildings, one of which has been dedicated to "The Man Cave". We had used it as the place where we homeschooled all our children, but now that they are gone, my wife told me to do with it as I wished. Anyway...

We heat the building with a wood stove. There is an old chimney in the building from its days as the butcher kitchen or summer kitchen, and the stove is piped into that. Last week I went in to inspect the chimney prior to firing up the stove for the season, only to discover that a SQUIRREL had made it into his personal, brick penthouse. :angry: My first inclination was to smoke him out, but immediately thought that might not be such a good idea. I don't need to burn the place down just to get rid of a tree rat. So I called a wildlife removal expert.

He arrived this morning, and with my assistance, spent the morning evicting Mr. Squirrel from my chimney. The process took long enough that I missed my midmorning meal, and am late on lunch besides. My stomach (such as it is) is not happy with me. The squirrel, though homeless, is still in the land of the living. Squirrels are not in season at the moment. Otherwise, he might be stewing in seasoning to pay for his misdeeds, squatting in my chimney like that. <_<

@@LittleBill

LOL! Loved your story, the way you told it. You should be a writer!

I work from home and have several squirrel feeders outside my office window and watch them all day.....I love my squirrels! I have one really cute one I've named stumpy....he doesn't have a tail..he's so cute though!!

I ran over a squirrel yesterday and just that simple BA bump sound broke my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can kill one to eat with no compunction at all. But I feel awful if I run over one.

@@LittleBill

LOL! Loved your story, the way you told it. You should be a writer!

Thank you. It is a hobby, and you are not the first to say so. Maybe I will be a writer one of these days.

I'll tell you what else these little so and so's do. We have a second floor porch on one side of the house with a steel roof over it. It just so happens to be on the same wall our bed is, and there is a window there besides. In spring and summer, the squirrels that live INSIDE the roof of that porch come out to play. Early - Every. Single. Morning. So earlier than I would like, I am awakened to the sound of tiny claws scrabbling on a slanted steel roof. And there is no way to get to them easily. My squirrel removal tool, while accurate and deadly at long distances, is not suitable for either pointing out the window or back at the house.

I work from home and have several squirrel feeders outside my office window and watch them all day.....I love my squirrels! I have one really cute one I've named stumpy....he doesn't have a tail..he's so cute though!!

They are fun to watch, as long as they aren't costing me money (or sleep). Our dog Jester goes insane when he sees one. I almost hurt myself laughing the one time he fell down the stairs trying to run, bark, and look up in the air at one all at the same time.

eh, as far as being in season - we won't tell and squirrel is Protein.

They are, and very tasty Protein at that. :D

They are fun to watch, as long as they aren't costing me money (or sleep). Our dog Jester goes insane when he sees one. I almost hurt myself laughing the one time he fell down the stairs trying to run, bark, and look up in the air at one all at the same time.

omg my dog matilda is the same way Che will sit at the bottom of a tree for over a half he just waiting for it to come back down its funny.

omg my dog matilda is the same way Che will sit at the bottom of a tree for over a half he just waiting for it to come back down its funny.

I ran over a squirrel yesterday and just that simple BA bump sound broke my heart. Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Broke your heart and most of the bones in it's body!

Back in the day I ate all kinds of small game and I must say that squirrels are pretty good! Raccoons are greasy bastards that will never pass my lips again though :(

Broke your heart and most of the bones in it's body!

Back in the day I ate all kinds of small game and I must say that squirrels are pretty good! Raccoons are greasy bastards that will never pass my lips again though :(

You ought to try bear if you haven't already. I could bearly get it down it was so greasy. But since I was a guest in the home of some friends, I just had to grin and bear it.

Lol. I have heard they're good. I don't mind killing deer. I love venison. My husband and I were actually looking the other day at the nutritional values. Deer steak is great for Protein a lot better then any beef steak. However I love deer balogna but it's very high in calories and very little Protein. I wanna cry over that. My kids and hubby get it all to themselves. Oh well life goes on. Deer Jerky is good for me tho. And deer burger is a lot healthier then beed I didn't check it against turkey yet tho.

The last person to get a deer in our family was when Mrs. LittleBill took one out with the Suburban. We took what was left of it to the butcher, and got a whopping 20 lbs of usable meat. It is too scary to hunt around here anymore, but I do love venison.

I've had squirrel! I remember we had to eat it carefully to avoid the buckshot. I was just a kid. I've also had rabbit--no lie, bbq rabbit is GOOD.

Ah, venison! it's SO good. I recently made venison stuffed mushrooms. Hardly ANY fat in that meat. It's some of the most lean meat I've ever cooked with. It's really a shame it isn't commercially available in stores. It's GOOD for you! Unfortunately, the last deer killed by anyone here at Casa Enfuego was the one that hit us (yes, it hit us when it ran out when it was chasing a sexy girl deer) we were coming home from Six Flags last year. It did about $2000 in damage to our car. the good little redneck girl in me wanted to go back for it, but it was 0300 in the morning!