Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a hard time with hunger

Hey, I am post op day #5 and I have noticed today my appetite has started really coming back. I am supposed to be on full liquids for one more week until i can start pureed food and I am having a really hard time with it. Just wondering if anyone else is too. I keep telling myself how important it is not to strech my pouch out but today I ended up making some really soupy oatmeal. It helped. I have also found that I have been really depressed. I can't wait to go back to work on Monday which will probably help with the hunger, some of which is boredom and lonliness I'm sure. Anyway not trying to be a downer, I think this is probably just a normal part of the process, for me anyway, and don't expect it to last forever. I am just scared of any hunger at all, because, well no need to explain I'm sure you guys understand. thanks for reading. Elizabeth.

Dear Elizabeth, Hang in there girl! You can do this. Try and get your mind off eating, maybe call someone on the phone or chat on the bandster chat board. I will get my band 9-28. I can't figure out how come some people are hungry and others are not. Anyway, good luck, you can do this.

Cleone

Hey, I am post op day #5 and I have noticed today my appetite has started really coming back. I am supposed to be on full liquids for one more week until i can start pureed food and I am having a really hard time with it. Just wondering if anyone else is too. I keep telling myself how important it is not to strech my pouch out but today I ended up making some really soupy oatmeal. It helped. I have also found that I have been really depressed. I can't wait to go back to work on Monday which will probably help with the hunger, some of which is boredom and lonliness I'm sure. Anyway not trying to be a downer, I think this is probably just a normal part of the process, for me anyway, and don't expect it to last forever. I am just scared of any hunger at all, because, well no need to explain I'm sure you guys understand. thanks for reading. Elizabeth.

hi elizabeth

sounds like you are feeling scared, because you are hungry. i'm getting banded on the 24th, and, like you, i am concerned with the ensuing hunger and hoping i don't screw up the band by eating too much.

anya

i am in post op hell too. I hope I am not making my potato Soup a little too thick now. I am so wanting to eat something. I am starting to think about how my life will be so different now. I can hardly stand it that i cant go out to eat. I bought some sugar free fudgecicles tonight. that helps some and so does sugar free candy, but you really have to be careful, you dont want to accidently swallow the candy. it is a risk I know but it seems to settle me down a bit. I bet there are lots of us right now going thru this stage. one more week to the next stage. I cant wait !

Dear Elizabeth, Hang in there. You can do it. I was about 12 days after I got my band that I got so hungry, I could have chewed by leg off. Thank goodness it was just one day. Be sure and have a Protein Drink. It helps to make the hunger go away. Hang in there!!!

Elizabeth, I feel your pain! I'm 8 days out and soo hungry. All my Protein stuff (I got tons of options) are making me heave at the smell of them at this point. Going back to work tomorrow will definitely help take my mind off it. I've shopped, had my nails done, toes done, anything I can think of to get me out of the house and keep my mind off food. I could have broth. I semi cheated and had progresso southwesterchicken noodle Soup broth, it was really good. When I had it the other day, I had this superfull feeling. The next few days I didnt have that feeling, I could almost eat a can's worth. I don't know if I'll make it to Friday. I don't even really know what will be included in the next phase. But I'm hoping its something to look forward too. I've been so depressed. I knew how much I loved food, but this is crazy. I went to see a movie with my little brother the other night, and NO popcorn. That is torture. We did a few errands. Usually every night out would be highlighted by food. Figuring out where we are going to eat..... I miss it. I'm thinking about calling my Dr and seeing if I can go back on an antidepressent. It might really help over this transition. I've been on edge. Everything my coworkers and family did was making me homicidal the end of this week. Hang in there girl!!!

Hi Elizabeth,

I am 5 dpo and I am hungry too!! Sometimes I can't tell if i's just head hunger vs. real hunger, but then my stomach starts to growl....

I just suck it up and make a Protein shake and that fills me up for a while.

Hang in there!!

mermaidpuppy-hang in there. don't be depressed it makes me sad. It is weird how dependent on food you find out you were after this surgery. I was talking to my mom and I said you know atleast when I had nothing to do on a vacation before I could atleast plan a big meal, now even that is out. (although I could plan a Protein drink, but it didn't seem the same).

Anyway, I was going to let you guys no that I did a lot better today and was looking at what I ate yesterday compared with today. I think the difference is yesterday I started with pudding and yogurt instead of my usual 20gm Protein Drink. I also only got in 1/2 the amount of Water I was supposed to. Today I pushed more Protein early and got all my Water in and did a lot better. Maybe soon drinking all that water and getting all that protein will become second nature and I won't have to work so hard at making sure I do it everyday. What is it they say-- it takes 3 months to form a habit.

We can all do it together!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Elizabeth

Don't be depressed about not being able to go out to dinner because you still can go out. I have been going out since Week 1 after banding. We have this dinor in town and they know us well as we are regulars so I ask them to skim off the broth of their vegetable Soup and then I bring a SF Jello with me and have that. I have also ordered French Onion Soup without bread and cheese. I ask for mostly the broth. If there are onions in it I just leave those on the bottom. I know it is hard but it is only two weeks out of your new life that you have to be so strict and believe me it is worth it.

Good Luck to you all and take care,

shelli:girl_hug: