Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Regret the band??

I am in the process of getting medically approved for the band, and while I wait, I second guess myself all the time. I am a huge emotional eater and often eat way past full. I am concerned that I will still eat out of control after the band and then feel like I have let my self down yet AGAIN with my efforts to lose weight and be healthy. I am really scared that if this fails, I am doomed to be fat forever.

Anyone out there regret getting the band? Would you do it all over again? Do you think it truly helped you lose the weight, or should I just find the willpower to lose 100+ lbs AGAIN the old fashioned way???

I appreciate your thoughts on the issue!

Fawksy - It doesn't really matter if you find the willpower to lose 100lbs again - statistics say that you will probably put that much on again, and some.............but with a band, life is different! unless you are going to puree KFC, soak white bread in cream until soggy, melt chocolate etc to fit through the band then you have a safety net - yes, it is still a tool, but it is a physical reminder that is there permanently - not just when you feel motivated, it will be there when you feel crappy too! If you try to eat for emotions, stress, any of those nasty things that makes us binge, the band will be there for you............. and in 90% of cases, when you lose the weight, and keep the band - the weight will be gone forever!!! Having second doubts and fears are completely normal emotions, but accept them as part of the journey - don't give in to them, and sacrifice your life to doubt! hugs Karen

I had lost 175 pounds on my own 12 years ago. I would have called anyone a liar had they told me I would gain it back. Well, slowly but surely I did...luckily not all of it but 100 pounds of it.

I tried and tried to lose it again and I couldn't. I was only losing about 1-2 pounds a month and got very frustrated. I got the band and I would not trade it for anything in the world! I was not lucky enough for insurance to pay for it so I will pay on it for 5 years since I had it financed....but would I change a thing??? NO WAY! Just remember in your journey that this band is a tool to help you, not a miracle cure. It takes alot of hard work and determination to follow the "bandster rules". The real question you need to ask yourself is do you have the will & the determination, if the answer is yes, then you will never regret it!! Best of luck to you!

I am feeling the same way as Fawksy. I am also awaiting insurance approval and hope to be able to schedule surgery before the end of the year. My doctor is steering me toward by-pass instead of banding because I want to lose 100 lbs. He told me that bands average about 40 pounds of weight loss. I am not hesitating about the surgery, but unsure about what surgery to have if it is approved. I have to make this decision in the next couple of weeks.

I don't regret it ATALL! Not only that, but my whole outlook on my weight and weighloss has completely changed. Alway before I looked on it as a daunting task, doomed to ultimate failure down the road somewhere. I was always depressed when I was losing because in my heart of hearts I KNEW it was just going to come back someday, and I was well aware that it was just a "temporary fix". Dieting was a chore. Plateauing was a complete emotional disaster sometimes tanking the entire endeavor. I am AMAZED at how I handle plateaus now. I KNOW they are coming and I treat it like just another door to go through....a phase that will pass. And it DOES!!! I just got past a plateau where I bounced from 179.9 to 181.6 for about three weeks. That plateau broke day before yesterday and I am now steadily going down again. I find that my outlook remains just as optimistic when I plateau. My Mom asked me last night how my weight was going and I told her I had plateaued for the past three weeks, but I followed by saying "BUT...that's OKAY!"

I am feeling the same way as Fawksy. I am also awaiting insurance approval and hope to be able to schedule surgery before the end of the year. My doctor is steering me toward by-pass instead of banding because I want to lose 100 lbs. He told me that bands average about 40 pounds of weight loss. I am not hesitating about the surgery, but unsure about what surgery to have if it is approved. I have to make this decision in the next couple of weeks.

During the seminar I attended, my dr told us that the band on the average will help to lose 50% of your excess body weight. Some people are just average, some are below average, some people are above average. I strive to be an above average and it has worked so far...

I guess it just depends on how bad you want success. It is up to you!!

Okay obviously there is a big fluctuation in the information people are getting. Prof.Paul O'Brien is an expert in the field, and has written many articles, and books. He spends alot of his time in the US, teaching about the band also (he's from Oz too) He says that on average bandsters loose two thirds of the excess weight, but there is no limit to the loss, if you want to keep focused and work in partnership with your surgeon, you will reach "goal" weight. In Australia most of the people getting banded at the moment need to lose approx 100lbs (45kgs) that is the point! It is the most adjustable, flexible, safest weight loss surgery available in the modern world. By-pass or sleeve technology is dated, and some surgeons feel more comfortable with it, because they are more practiced at doing it - but it is heaps more dangerous to your health and body. A band does not change any of your internal organs, it is completly reversible - a by-pass is drastic surgery, and is only used as a second choice in case of complications. Please research these operations seriously before you commit, I have spent the last 12 months researching, and I can tell you the band is well and truly in front on all issues. Good luck, what ever you decide - be happy & healthy - cheers Karen

I am in the process of getting medically approved for the band, and while I wait, I second guess myself all the time. I am a huge emotional eater and often eat way past full. I am concerned that I will still eat out of control after the band and then feel like I have let my self down yet AGAIN with my efforts to lose weight and be healthy. I am really scared that if this fails, I am doomed to be fat forever.

Anyone out there regret getting the band? Would you do it all over again? Do you think it truly helped you lose the weight, or should I just find the willpower to lose 100+ lbs AGAIN the old fashioned way???

I predict you *will* overeat and you *will* be in pain and then you *will* barf.

I further predict you'll think twice the next time. ;)

There is something to be said about being physically unable to binge the way we used to. If you are dead set on finding a way to eat around the band, you'll do the same with any weight loss surgery. But I think you need to give yourself a bit of a break. Usually people that are willing to have surgery to achieve weight loss want to change things. The band helps us do what we cannot do alone.

I'm probably one of the people that had the most complications and problems with my band yet still have their band. I wouldn't do things differently in the least. Three months ago I begged my doc to take it out, I wanted it out that day. He declined, he said he wanted to try one more treatment and it worked. OMG, what if he would have agreed? I'd be... bandless and gaining fat. He was right and I was wrong.

You have to want thin, you have to want it more than you want most anything else. You have to be willing to give it your best shot, you have to go into this with a positive attitude, you have to be willing to follow the band guidelines. Mostly, you just have to want thin.

This will sound silly but I'm asking you try it anyway. I want you to get a photo of a reasonably thin person. Not a movie star type anorexic person but just your average normal weight person. Then get a photo of your favorite food.

Sit and look at those photos and be absolutely honest with yourself. Which do you want more? Do you want thin or do you want your favorite food with no limits? The answer might not be the same for everyone, there is no right or wrong answer, there is only your answer. If you can honestly tell yourself that you want thin more than you want that particular food in limitless quantities... you are likely more ready for surgery than you realize. But you have to be honest. You don't have to tell anyone your answer, you only need to be honest with yourself.

Lap-Band + overeating = pain and puking

You won't do that many times before your band re-trains your brain.

Okay obviously there is a big fluctuation in the information people are getting. Prof.Paul O'Brien is an expert in the field, and has written many articles, and books. He spends alot of his time in the US, teaching about the band also (he's from Oz too) He says that on average bandsters loose two thirds of the excess weight, but there is no limit to the loss, if you want to keep focused and work in partnership with your surgeon, you will reach "goal" weight. In Australia most of the people getting banded at the moment need to lose approx 100lbs (45kgs) that is the point! It is the most adjustable, flexible, safest weight loss surgery available in the modern world. By-pass or sleeve technology is dated, and some surgeons feel more comfortable with it, because they are more practiced at doing it - but it is heaps more dangerous to your health and body. A band does not change any of your internal organs, it is completly reversible - a by-pass is drastic surgery, and is only used as a second choice in case of complications. Please research these operations seriously before you commit, I have spent the last 12 months researching, and I can tell you the band is well and truly in front on all issues. Good luck, what ever you decide - be happy & healthy - cheers Karen

Excellent post, I completely and totally agree with everything you have written.

I have to admit, I've been tempted to stop where I'm at now and say this is good enough. But then I reconsider and realize I went to go all the way. The point is, it is my decision and it will always be my decision. I could stop now and deal with it or I can continue and reach my goal. It's up to me.

Thanks for all the input, I truly appreciate hearing from all of you. One more question...those of you who have been banded for awhile, can you eat a "normal" small portion of food?

I have felt out of place and conspicuous because of being fat....will I be out of place and conspicuous because it never looks like I eat anything?

Do you ever get to a point when you can just feel NORMAL??

Thanks for all the input, I truly appreciate hearing from all of you. One more question...those of you who have been banded for awhile, can you eat a "normal" small portion of food?

I have felt out of place and conspicuous because of being fat....will I be out of place and conspicuous because it never looks like I eat anything?

Do you ever get to a point when you can just feel NORMAL??

I have always eaten a "normal" small portion of food. I have never felt "out of place" at the table. Actually I eat more than some of my female friends who are on "diets".

I am normal. Smaller portions are normal.