Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being cold is getting old!

I live in Washington, but just spent three weeks in Maui. Three gloriously warm weeks! Although I did have a few times here and there in the evening when I would get cold, it was the warmest I have been since surgery.… But I had to come home to Washington. We're supposed to get snow tomorrow, I'm terrified of how cold I will be

HW - 283

SW- 238

CW- ?

I am wearing socks, underwear, slippers, flannel pajama pants, a t-shirt, a flannel button-up overshirt, and mittens. It's 69º in the house.

A week ago I would be in socks, underwear, and a t-shirt. This "cold" $h!t is real.

So after a bit of depressing research it does appear that the low carb diet is certainly the culprit. Low carbing can also cause hypothyroidism. Yea...

I was always warm, even when I was thinner in high school and college. Post-op, I thought something had gone hideously wrong, because all of a sudden I was freezing. Mrs LittleBill said it was like living in an alternate universe with me being cold all the time.

They laughed at the Bariatric Center, and told me it was normal, and that eventually I would warm up again. I have noticed that since I have increased my activity my resistance to the cold is going back up. While it has been cold here already weatherwise, we are not in the throes of winter yet. We live in a 200 year old stone farmhouse. It is not cozy in the wintertime. We burn enough oil that we might as well light money on fire, and we could not burn wood this year because I was not able to chop it with my restrictions.

When you were talking about being warm all of the time I was beginning to not like you. Then you said that you are freezing and that put you back in my good graces. Your farmhouse sounds cool! (In more ways than one)

The house has been an interesting adventure, that's for sure. We are in farmland, and many of the windows are still original. What all that means is that the wind has lots of room to develop speed across the fields, and while stone walls do not move, windows do. It can get quite breezy inside on a windy night! It's like living in the old days, when I have to wear a knit hat on my noggin to prevent frostbite.

The only positive aspect about being cold is exacting revenge on Mrs LittleBill for all the years I have endured cold hands and feet in bed at night. I used to joke about having her hold my beer for me so it wouldn't get warm. Now I could hold my own - if I was still allowed to have one. :P

I wonder why this is.....i was always the one hot and sweating. Always had my thermostat set at 66 at work and home. Now my work one is set at 74 and I still complain that it is too cold. Others in my office would kill me if I turn it up more. Anyone know the reason? I have no suggestions, other than to take a blanket. Which is what I do. Lol. I am just curious.

Oh and it's been in the 30's and 40's where I live. It's almost UNBEARABLE to go outside. I rarely wore a a coat in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by gustavio

It seems ironic to me that this whole post is about being cold but yet on the website here it is listed as "hot".

I am 5 weeks post op and am cold ALL THE TIME!!! and... I live in Texas! :( I'm driving my family crazy adjusting the thermostat all the time and my husband has threatened to kick me out of the bed when I but a fourth blanket on our bed. Can't wait for spring!!!!!

Being cold hasn't hit me much but I do live in North Texas and weather just changed to being chilly yesterday. I am hoping that tolerating the summer heat gets easier.

I feel the same way, I have lost 30 pounds and am not any colder than I was before surgery. I am in Dallas, it is chilly now so I am chilly but no more so than in past years. Maybe it will happen when I lose more weight??

It seems ironic to me that this whole post is about being cold but yet on the website here it is listed as "hot".

I am sure many people will take cold comfort in that. :P

Don't come to England... Just about to de-ice my car dressed for work with a fluffy dressing gown on top!

Actually I would love to go to England some day.

Texas is awesome!! The people there were crazy friendly.

I'm from PA/NJ and visited Austin and it was GORGEOUS!!

If I wasn't engaged and had family here I'd so move there!

I was always the person sweating at the drop of a hat, so I welcomed having to layer up again.

I can also say that eating carbs doesn't help. I am not on carb restriction and have usually 80-100g a day.

All I can offer is the advice to add layers like you're scaling Mt. Everest. LOL. I grew up in Alaska, so I remember putting on the silk thermals and extra socks and then clothes and then a sweater and then the jacket/hat/gloves/boots. It's not something I normally have to do in Texas, but I am having to add jackets/sweaters now, and I don't run around the house barefoot anymore.

In the home, there are ALL SORTS of lovely electric heated things now. I don't have a heated mattress pad now, but I used to and they are SO MUCH better than heated blankets on the bed. I have a heated foot pocket in my bed, because it's always my feet that are miserably cold at night. But on the couch and my reading chair, I have electric thermal throws and vellux blankets. I knit myself some fingerless gloves for when I'm working on the computer. I also use one of those tubes that you heat up in the microwave to soothe a sore neck or back as a wrist rest with my keyboard to help my chilly fingers.